Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2424 to 5HP

Folks,
    I have the 2424 and I also have a 5 HP motor that will fit it. Would it be OK to make this conversion or is that too much power for this saw?
    Justin

I'll look forward to what others have to say on this, but, IMHO, I'd find another use for your 5 hp motor. The design of the 2424 is such that the belt tensioning is done by letting the motor pivot with the unit's height adjustment---I would say the significant weight increase, of a 5 hp motor, might put a strain on the belt and design. I have no idea what the extra power would do to vibration or stress on the existing undercarriage. I guess I'd say there is probably a good reason why 5 hp motors are religated to cabinet saws.
    Dave

Comment

I'll go along with Dave, reason and all. It isn't too much "power", the belt drive would simply slip if too much was attempted (3+hp cabinet saws use 2 or 3 drive belts). But a quick glance at the Baldor website shows a 5hp having 132 pound shipping weight. Guessing that the motor takes up about 120, that's a __lot__ more weight than the machine came with. Being that the motor is cantilevered out of the saw, I think you would be buying trouble, for little or no gain.

Dave

Comment

Thanks guys. It will stay at 1 1/2 at 220. I have had no problems other than I have a 5HP motor and still no use.
        Justin

Comment

The structure of the saw is not designed to handle the weight or power of a motor anywhere near a 5 horse. If you were able to hang that motor on there, you'd have never-ending alignment problems, and I'd be willing to bet in 6 months to a year the table would be no where near flat anymore.

Jake

Comment

Working...
          X