X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ts3650 bad arbor question

I have one of the old bad arbors. Of course, it only causes problems with a dado set, which I only used once (and that was when I discovered the problem). I decided then to just live with it.

When I bought a thin kerf Forrestr WWII blade, I also bought the stiffener with it. If I use one (or would probably need two) of these stiffeners on the inside (left) of the dado set, wouldn't that space the set past the bad arbor spot, and correct the problem? Only downside would be reducing the maximum width of dado blades that can be ran on the arbor. ANy other considerations that I might be missing?

Re: ts3650 bad arbor question

There would be no need to use two stiffeners as one on the RH side of the blade would do the job. Unless you're consistently sawing thick stock, I doubt if you even need a stiffener at all.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Stiffeners also reduce the depth of cut, limiting your ability to cut thick stock. Never needed one even using a thin kerf blades to rip kiln dried white oak and black walnut 2 1/4" thick. If it were me, I would try the blade alone, and only go with a stiffener if I had a problem. By the by, the 3650 will push a full kerf 50 tooth blade (Freud LU84R011) through the above with no problem, so the added cost of a stiffener may not be economically to your advantage. I have also used the thin kerf 60T Freud Avanti blade with about the same feed rate. I have had a problem with the stock thin-kerf blade that came with the 3650 resawing pine at the full depth (3 3/8"). It started to follow the grain and warped out about 1/8" before I stopped the saw. I have used both of the Freud blades to do the same and not had the same problem.
      Can it cut as fast as a 3 hp powermax? No, but works well and gives smooth cuts.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks for replies, guys, but both misunderstood the question.

I know you don't need a stiffener with the WWII thin-kerf - it is superfilous, but I already own it.

The problem is the bad arbor issue with older TS3650, with a bad thread just to the right of the blade. Perhaps you guys don't even know what I am talking about, but the original TS 3650's were made with arbors with some bad threads that are not even perceived until youput a dado blade on. It is the second blade of the dado set that rests on the bad threads and cuts imnproperly, giving a bad dado. The arbor is replaceable under warrantee (at least it was) but that meant taking the entire saw to an authorized repair place to repalce the arbor. Most people that have this just lived with the problem. There are plenty of threads related to this issue a few years ago.

I just realized that if you use the stiffner to the left of a dado set as a spacer, and perhaps needing 2 of them, you could shift to the right and avoid the bad threads.(and limit the sixe of a dado stack you could use.

I was asking if anyone who is familiar with this has done this, as it seems to make sense, and at the time, no one had thought of doing this.

In a related note, I used the WWII blade for the first time, then removed it. It was a real bugger getting it off, since the arbor hole was so closely matched to the arbor thread size. I wiggled it for about 15 minutes. Then I found that I must have done further buggering to the threads, since now I need a pair of pliers to get the nut back on the arbor.

Comment

Looking at the pic below (credit to steelewoodworker I think) as long as the stiffener gets you past the point of the missing thread you should be fine.

Comment

thank you. Great picture!

A picture is worth 1000 words. This should illustrate to those who are unaware exactly what the 'arbor problem' was.

With all the discussion those years back of how to handle the problem, I don't recall anyone suggesting spacing past the problem with something like the stiffener. I expect it should work well.

Comment

Does anyone know if this arbor with the defect has been resolved on the newer 3660?

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, the arbor issue was resolved in 2005, although there were still some of the older saws sitting in stock on store shelves that took a while getting into the consumer stream. Therefore the problem kept "cropping up". but it was really just older model 3650s that had not yet been sold. There should be no problem with the 3660, as the first ones were made long after the arbor manufacturing problem was fixed.

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks for info. I got the saw(3660) together and have not had a day off yet since to play!

Comment

Working...
                  X