Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Resinous Buildup from Table Saw Blade

Hi guys,

After a fair bit of cutting (mostly birch-faced plywood), I've got a build up of a golden-brown resinous substance on the teeth of the blade.

Scraping it off is more than a little time consuming, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on removing it?

Would it be worth using some offcut hardwood or is there some sort of artificial cleaning block that would take this stuff off?

Cheers,

Simon

Re: Cleaning Resinous Buildup from Table Saw Blade

Get some Easy Off oven cleaner....spray it on let sit for awhile and then use plastic scrubbing pad....works great.

Comment

It may be an urban legend but I have heard that oven cleaner can weaken the welds that hold the carbide to the blade. I use CMT 2050 cleaner. I know others that just use simple green and a brass brush or even a tooth brush

Comment

I use this stuff:
        http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...lter=boeshield

The blade and bit cleaner worker great for gummed up router bits and what-not. Just put the blade in a shallow dish (5 gal bucket lid works OK...) spray a bunch on and come back in 10 minutes to scrub with a brass or nylon brush.

Could also use this:
        http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...er=blade%20bit

or this:
        http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5396

Comment

just use some paint thinner, and or if it is really nasty use some lacquer thinner,
          (caution: lacquer thinner will melt many paints),

go to a paint store and get and empty can and if you need to let it soak you can drop it in the can with some thinner, and tap the lid on and come back in a day or so and wipe it off.
          Last edited by BHD; 09-28-2007, 01:51 PM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Another way that works an I use.Go to a junk store and get a big electric fry pan.Put water in it an turn it on then soak the blade awhile,a quick scrub with a brass kitchen brush and usually its clean.Do not use it on a blade coated with teflon etc tho as itll help remove that too.I've done all kinds of blades bits etc this way,plain steel and carbides
            Sam

Comment

Hi Simon - There are lots of effective methods for cleaning the buildup on your blades. I've successfully used 409, Simple Green, Goo Gone, LA's Totally Awesome, Greased Lightning, Dawn/water, Easy Off, WD-40, and Boeshield Blade n Bit cleaner. Easy Off was the messiest, and Boeshield was the most expensive...and neither seemed significantly better than some of the other methods. There's some controversy about the oven cleaners being too caustic, and since there are so many good alternatives, I don't use oven cleaner anymore, and don't see a need to spend money on a specialty saw blade cleaner. Just use any degreaser spray you may have in your kitchen.

The Totally Awesome, Goo Gone, 409, and Greased Lightning seemed to work great, as does Simple Green but I don't care for the smell of it. I just spritz the blade and hit it lightly with a brass brush and stiff bristle nylon brush...even a toothbrush works well.

Comment

Safest way is to ask the manufacturer what they recomend. Remember not all blades are made the same.

It's no urban legend that easy off can damage blades. The lye in it will attack the brazing holding the carbide teeth onto the blade. Not everyone uses the same method to attach them but Freud specifically says easy off WILL damage their blades. Anyone who has sprayed easy off on certain kinds of metals knows how it can strip off anodization or pit the surface real quick. There are better cleaners out there, its not worth the risk.

Also a word of warning on simple green. Do not leave the blade soaked in it. If you use it, rinse it off immediately. Simple green causes steel, carbide and other metals to go brittle and shatter during extended exposure to it. This comes straight from them and I've seen it happen. We used to see this when cleaning bike chains. Many people would leave them soaking in simple green to loosen the crud from until people realized the steel plates on the chain started shattering and cracking after prolong exposure to it.

Comment

I had a similar question and go this from Forrest on their blades -

"To clean the pitch off blades you can use Simple Green if it's burnt pitch. For gooey pitch soak in kerosene. Dry blade thoroughly before storing. Spray lightly with WD-40 to prevent rusting."

Andy

Comment

Easiest thing I have found is DNA (denatured alcohol). For the saw table, lay a rag wet with DNA on it (cover with a plastic bag if it is a heavy buildup to slow the evaporation). For my saw blades, i put them into a plastic oil change pan, squirt with the DNA, cover with a plastic bag for about 10 minutes, and all the resin cleans off with a soft parts cleaning brush.
                    DNA is an EPA exempt solvent (no damage to the ozone layer), and does not damage the blades, carbide, welds, nor the factory paint/coating on the blade. Easy Off and Greased Lightning are lye based and can damage the carbide tip weld, as well as any aluminum parts of the saw. Simple Green (acid based) can cause hydrogen embrittlement in high strength steel and corrosion on the saw parts if it drips down inside where you can't rinse it. WD-40 requires agitation with a brass brush, etc, which is not friendly to a sharp blade and labor intensive. Lacquer thinner will remove the factory coating from some of the blades.
                    DNA is flammable and the fumes can affect your judgement if used in a confined space.
                    I have not tried commercial blade cleaners.

JMTCW

Go
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I have used coffee exclusively for many years. I put some coffee in a pan place the blade in the pan and let it set overnight. In the morning paper towels are usually all that is needed to remove the gunk. Occasionally, if I am not vigilant about cleaning the blades and allow a major buildup, I will need a brass brush to remove some of the stubborn stuff.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                        I have used coffee exclusively for many years. I put some coffee in a pan place the blade in the pan and let it set overnight. In the morning paper towels are usually all that is needed to remove the gunk. Occasionally, if I am not vigilant about cleaning the blades and allow a major buildup, I will need a brass brush to remove some of the stubborn stuff.

Tom
                        This probably works because of the acidity of the coffee. This would have the same risks and caveats as any other acid based cleaner.

Gofor, thanks for the write up on Denatured Alcohol. I'm going to give that a try once I run out of this Rockler blade cleaning stuff. A gallon of DNA will last me just about forever.

Do you find that you can filter it through a coffee filter or something to remove the gunk and junk, and reclaim the DNA (minus evaporation)?

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                          ...Do you find that you can filter it through a coffee filter or something to remove the gunk and junk, and reclaim the DNA (minus evaporation)?
                          Yes. I keep the reclaimed in a plastic Jif peanut butter jar. That way I can drop a router bit in to soak when needed. If the stuff is really burned onto a router bit, you may need to use the brass brush. I use a kraft knife, working toward the cutting edge which will clean off any really carbonized stuff.

Go

PS The coffee idea sounds good , too. I doubt the pH is low enough to cause hydrogen embrittlement. My problem is that by the time I notice they need cleaning, its usually something I have to do to get on with the work, so a long soak won't work for me. I guess with closer attention to the tools and better time management, I could use it, but patience is not my strongest trait!!

Go
                          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Kerosene.
                            It's all Freud recommends.
                            ken
                            Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
                              PS The coffee idea sounds good , too. I doubt the pH is low enough to cause hydrogen embrittlement. My problem is that by the time I notice they need cleaning, its usually something I have to do to get on with the work, so a long soak won't work for me. I guess with closer attention to the tools and better time management, I could use it, but patience is not my strongest trait!!

Go
                              The problem for me with the coffee approach is... I need to drink it!

Gofor have you had any deterioration or anything with your bearing bits soaking in DNA? E.g. it doesn't affect the bearing lubriation / movement at all?

I typically spray my router bits with the Bit and Blade cleaner spray from the Boeshield makers. Letting that sit 30 seconds or so is enough to get just about anything off using a brass brush.

Comment

Working...
                              X