X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Nail Gun Question

Ok guys....I have a brad nailer and a crown stapler which I use with some of my projects.

Now I want a nailer that I can do some light framing (2x4's) and also use when installing pickets (1x6's) for a fence. Is there a nailer that will do both jobs? Or do I need 2 more guns?

I thought of using the stapler for the pickets, but it only goes up to 1 1/2 inches.

Also should I go with the cliphead nails or the round head?

Thanks....Scott

1. Most likely you will need a framing nailer. Expensive (about $250 for PC), but finish nails won't take the load that most dimensional lumber (2x4s) structures impose. You can get shorter nails.

2. Clipped head vs. full head (or round head) applies only to framing nailers. Clipped head nails are a bit cheaper, and in some guns you can load more nails per stick. However, buy a full head gun because you never know when you will be working in a jurisdiction that won't accept clipped heads per code.

3. I have a 3-1/2" PC full head framing nailer and it works like a charm. (Takes a good deal of air, though, so make sure your compressor can keep up.)

4. Here is a hint, which is contrary to what you might assume. Always hook up the air BEFORE loading nails, as sometimes the gun will fire when the air is hooked up.

Comment

Glad to know someone else is in my boat with me. I have looked high and low for a small nailer to do siding and my fence. I worked in the industry 20 some years ago and I swear I remember a smaller full head nailer, not a full 3 1/2" nailer which is all I can seem to find now. I can tell you that framing nailers were physically smaller for sure. To answer your question you really have no choice but to buy a framing nailer. I have never been a fan of the clipped head nails and as RGad stated some inspectors won't accept them. Allot of areas are allowing 3" nails for framing now, since lumber really isn't 1 1/2 any more, that 3 1/2" nail really sticks out. As far as brand I went with PC, however like most tools these days I think their all created pretty equal, you know Fords and Chevy's. Find one that you like the feel of, try to get a demo if possible, some have a pretty good kick thats tough to get used to. One other bit of advice, PC offers a single shot (my term) trigger at NC, get it and use it until you get used to using the tool. I forgot what it was like to use a nailer with a repeat fire, if your in a tight spot and the gun jumps when it fires your going to get at least one more nail than you planned on. Good luck!
      It\'s not the quantity or quality of your tools that matters....<br />It\'s all in the firewood that\'s left over.....

Comment

DCH

I have been looking at the PC brand FR-350 nailer. It shoots the round head and it also shoots a thicker nail than some of the others. Any thoughts on this one?

Scott

Comment

Great tool. It is a bit big and heavy, but so is the job you want it to do, which it does very well. The one I use has a "bounce" trigger (black, vs. red for the single fire trigger), and every once in a while you'll get a double fire, but that is user technique, not tool deficiency. PC will send you the red trigger for N/C, and swapping them is easy, but you may find that the red trigger on a framing nailer slows you down a bit. Double shot nails on rough framing usually aren't much of a problem.

If you are going to do some serious nailing with a framing nailer, though, make sure your compressor is up to the task. They take some air.

Comment

I also have the PC, and really can't add anything to RGads comments, he's covered everything pretty well. You are correct in the fact the PC will shoot a heavier gauge nail, actually the closest to the old 8 or 16 penny nail term. Now be advised that the tool will shoot any nail on the 22 degree standard, which means brand X, Y, & Z nails will work in the tool just fine, however they may not be the same thickness as the PC brand nail. At this time I'm actually shooting 3 different Senco nails, I was after a specific length galvinized nail, and price became a huge factor so I can't honestly say anything about gauge/thickness of the Senco nail.

[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: DCH ]
            It\'s not the quantity or quality of your tools that matters....<br />It\'s all in the firewood that\'s left over.....

Comment

Working...
            X