X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2400 LS Table Surface

I am looking at the Ridgid TS2400 LS table saw. I notice that is doesn't have a smooth polished table surface like the other saws. Is there a reason for that and any pro's or con's to the rough surface? Seems like it would be harder to push the wood through the saw with a rough surface?

Re: TS2400 LS Table Surface

Seaquest,

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't heard of any difficulties with sliding the wood on the TS2400. Perhaps the reason for it's "rougher" surface is that the table is aluminum rather than cast iron, and a polished table would probably show scratches quickly.

Regarding whether there is more or less friction on one table surface over the other, I suppose it would require some sort of testing. On one hand, with a smooth surface one could look at it as either being "smooth" and easy to slide material on, or it could offer more contact area and perhaps more friction.

The table top on my Ryobi 3100 is aluminum and is also ridged (grooved). I haven't encountered any friction problems. The Ridgid TS2400 is very popular, especially if you need a compact, portable; or a saw that you can fold up and store.

CWS

Comment

The Bosch 4000-09 used to have a smooth machined table. Recently they switched to the "rough" surface like the TS2400 has. It is supposed to help the workpiece slide through better. My personal opinion is that it does help.

Comment

The one thing I've noticed is that it scratches very easily. Is there any solution to that or you just put up with it?

Comment

I have one.

It is like a non-stick surface on a skillet. Yeah, it wears off with use, but I don't have any complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by seaquest View Post
            I am looking at the Ridgid TS2400 LS table saw. I notice that is doesn't have a smooth polished table surface like the other saws. Is there a reason for that and any pro's or con's to the rough surface? Seems like it would be harder to push the wood through the saw with a rough surface?
            I took the top of my TS2400 and gave it a light sanding with 400grit wet/dry paper, including the miter guides and put 2 coats of wax on everything, even waxed the rails. Much better saw now.
            Carpenters make the prettiest firewood

Comment

I have a TS2400 and found the surface to be a non-issue. I routinely apply paste wax to the surface. One advantage is that it does not rust like a cast iron surface.

As a side note - I am amazed at the condition of a number of cast iron table saws that are up for sale on Ebay, Cragislist, etc - rusted , pitted, trashed, etc. Some people really misuse and abuse an otherwise fine woodworking tool.

Comment

you noticed that also, makes you wonder what kind of shape the saw is actually in, its the same thing on Craigslist and they are asking outrageous prices for some of them
                Carpenters make the prettiest firewood

Comment

The 2400 does have a teflon coating over the aluminum table. Very slick for sliding the boards on. If you have trouble just clean off all the wax and stuff you put on it.
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                  X