X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on a Compound Miter Saw?

I'm also looking into picking up a combination mitre saw for under $350 at the same show mentioned in my router post.

I've seen the Ridgid units and certainly like them, but the Delta 36-225 ($189) was rated better
    http://www.woodnet.net/toolreviews/cmsaws.html

Any comments or other suggestions?

I've also read that when comparing the Ridgid to the Delta, one of the key differentiators was the handle position (horizontal for the Delta) and built in supports (seems to suggest lacking on the Ridgid).

Also, the Ridgid's wide kerf could loose pieces in it easily which can come back up and damage the piece your cutting and last, but not least is that the guage is covered up when cutting.

The upsides for the Ridgid seems to be... blade, & lifetime warranty.

Any comments or suggestions... Anyone... Anyone?

Bubba

Bubba
    The review you referred to is about 1 1/2 years old. I certainly have no idea what changes may have been made to any of the tested models but I would certainly be relunctant to place a lot of emphasis on reviews that old. just some food for thought. Dave

Comment

Bubba,

The 10" miter saw (MS1060) has been updated and now includes a horizontal "D" handle and a zero clearance insert. The two issues they address in that review. If you are looking for a miter saw in the under $350 range I would also suggest a 12" machine such as our MS1250. This fall that saw also includes a legstand.

Jake

Comment

I have a 1250, which I bought for woodworking projects. My pal, who is more of a carpenter, liked it so much he bought one, too, and then I spent a week or so using his helping him out with the construction of an addition to his house.

Buy the 1250. It does both jobs superbly. For reasons too long to recite, we ended up having to make some weird miters, a couple compound, in the framing job, and the 1250 made it a breeze.

Comment

Jay,

Will it retain the side wood supports and a will it have clamp like the delta?

What is it going to retail for and when will it be available? I was hoping to buy within the next few weeks...

what can I say, just enough money and it's burning a hole right now...

Bubba

Comment

Jay,

Will it retain the current side supports / extensions and a will it have a built-in clamp like the Delta?

What is it going to retail for and when will it be available? I was hoping to buy within the next few weeks... as I've got some other projects coming up.

Boy... once your friends learn what you can do with wood, it's amazing the things they want to see if you can build...

Bubba

Comment

Yes it does have the extension bars, and no it does not come with a clamp, though one is available as an accessory. It has been one the market for several months and should be available in your local HD.

Comment

Thanks Jake!

I called to checked with them this morning. Does $298 sound right for the price on this saw? That's what the first person told me when I called. I had someone else check on stock and they told me the price was $179.

So what should the price be?

(Hard to find good help nowadays I guess.)

This is my experience with HD in Santa Clara, CA.

Bubba

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Bubba Blue ]

Comment

I think given the choice, I would go with the $179...

Dave

Comment

I believe the first person you talked to must of had the MS1250 and the MS1060 confused. The MS1250 is $297 while the MS1060 should be $179 - $189.

Jake

Comment

I own the Delta it works great.No problems yet.When I was shoppig around the Ridgid lacked the "D" handle,the zero clearance plate and the extensions. Sounds like a lot of changes took place.Kinda wish I would have waited now.Maybe you should take a second look at the Ridgid before you decide.

Comment

Jake,

Since I haven't seen the 1060, i'm wondering if it miter to the left and the right, or only in one direction?

Same for rotation, does it rotate both clockwise and counterclockwise?

Thanks,

Bubba

Comment

Bubba,
                          I went with the DeWalt DW705. Added the Freud 60 toother; helped a bunch. Used in the past mainly for construction crosscutting and mitering. Have used it for some molding inside. Does OK, but now that I have the TS2424, I do mostly rough sizing on the DeWalt, and final cutting on the Ridgid.
                          Just remember, as with all saws: Set up and alignment is crucial if you want accurate repeatable cuts.
                          xman
                          It\'s all in the name: Bucheron (FR)= woodchopper

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bubba Blue:
                            i'm wondering if it miter to the left and the right, or only in one direction? Same for rotation, does it rotate both clockwise and counterclockwise?
                            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bubba,

It does miter in both directions as do all miter saws. It has a miter range of 45º left and right. When you ask about rotation I am assuming you mean bevel. It is a single bevel saw, meaning it only bevels to the left. It has a bevel range of -3º to 47º.

Jake

Comment

Jake,

I wish I had waited a year to get the updated MS1060. I never did like the handle on mine. The zero clearance is great too. I've actuall had some chips get hung up in the wide kerf and come out at me. That was probably my fault though.

Glad you guys updated it though. Major improvement.

Bummer that I didnt wait.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X