X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get adhesive off wood?

I have some wooden chopsticks that I bought in Japan about 4 years ago that are in the original package. I went to open a new pack up(my son uses them as drumsticks and loses them) and the adhesive from label won't come off. I'm worried about using WD-40 or others adhesive removers since I eat with these. The wood appears to be bamboo with a lacquer finish.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: How to get adhesive off wood?

If soaking in soapy water doesn't work, you might try alcohol. Because you eat with them, I would advise going to the liquor store and buying a small bottle of "everclear" (190 proof aka 95% alcohol, and the kind that is not poisonous). Try it in a small spot first to make sure it doesn't dissolve the finish.

Good luck. Hope you get it off.

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Try goo gone.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Try freezing them, then scrape off the labels...
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I just throw mine in the dishwasher. You can put scotch tape over the adhesive (press it down tight) and pull quick to get most of the adhesive off first--just like waxing our legs

Joey
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Heat gun..?

Comment

The reason I say freeze it. When you need to put roof jacks under a shingle and the roof is 150 degrees. The shingles fuse together, but if you place a bag of ice on the spot for 2 minutes, then just pop it up, "walla". That is a great trick and no damage to the shingles. Heat and adhesive would just smear around, but cold it should pop right off.

This is just my stupid theory, if I had chop stick, I just might be giving this one a try.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager, you are the MAN!! Worked like a charm. Thanks. I was going to try everyone else ideas but I wanted to try the freezing first since it seemed the least invasive.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'm glad to be of some help around here, you here this people, I got one right, yaaaaaaa...

Comment

I bet Garager was thinking about how to get chewing gum off carpet. Freezing it really does help.

I bet he was also thinking about your safety as they are used for eating and you really don't want toxic solvents and food being mixed.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                      I'm glad to be of some help around here, you here this people, I got one right, yaaaaaaa...
                      Reading this and looking at you in your avatar surrounded by wood framing made me laugh. Clean lungs have cleared the way for brilliance (not that you weren't brilliant before)

Joey
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                        I bet he was also thinking about your safety as they are used for eating and you really don't want toxic solvents and food being mixed.
                        Always about safety first, woussko.

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                        Reading this and looking at you in your avatar surrounded by wood framing made me laugh. Clean lungs have cleared the way for brilliance (not that you weren't brilliant before)

Joey
                        Wow, that might go to my head, I'm a brilliant Wood Butcher now...
                        Thanks Joey, very polite comment.

Comment

Wow, that might go to my head, I'm a brilliant Wood Butcher now...
                          Isn't that an oxymoron? Same as military intelligence. Just kidding guys.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks Joey, very polite comment.
                            Hey, I'm a polite girl. . .just a little rough around the edges
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Working...
                            X