Adding A Pre-Separator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding A Pre-Separator

Has anyone seen any good plans for building s pre-separator with a garbage can thet will work with a 2 1/2" shop vac hose? All i can find are ones using 3"pvc. Is there a way to adapt a 2 1/2" hose to 3" pvc?
    Please check out my web page
    www.woodandwax.net

Re: Adding A Pre-Separator

Rockler and Woodcraft sell pre-separators for 2 1/2" hose. They fit onto a five gallon bucket (which you could then adapt to put onto a trash can.

However, I found it didn't work well for me. Not that it won't work for you, but it doesn't seem to be effective for dust and fine stuff, as you get from a table saw and router. It might work great for larger chips and/or shavings from, say, a planer or drill press.

I have since purchases a Clear-Vue cyclone for my shop-vac system and it works *great*. I've emptied the 20 gallon trash gan, which it sits atop, twice of chips and dust, and the shop-vac (Ridgid 12gal) has maybe 1 cup of sawdust in the bottom and the filter is almost completely clean.

It's not that cheap, but in retrospect, I wished I'd save my money buying the cheapie and just gotten the Clear-Vue to start.

Comment

I've been using the garbage can lid/cyclone sold by Lee Valley with my 6 gal. Ridgid shop vac. It works with the 2-1/2" hose. I've been quite satisfied with it. The really fine stuff goes through to the sho vac's filter, but nearly everything else stays in the garbage can. I would guess I go about 3 times as long between filter cleanings/changes as before I got the separator. These are made to fit 30 gal. garbage cans. I got the plastic can, which works well, expect the sides suck in and make it look bad while the vac is running. The metal can would not do that, but then they may not be as easy to slide around.
      Dick

Comment

I also purchased the clearvue cyclone after much research.

Since I have a small shop, I got the mini CV06.

I also found that Shop Vac is selling off their vacuum system, clear PVC tubing, fittings and blast gates.

I installed the system along the back wall of my shop with blast gates for 3650 and two gates on either side of the workbench. A neighbor threw out a 24' length of pool vacuum hose. Made a couple of adapters and I now have a vacuum hose that reaches my entire garage.

With a 6 gallon shop vac the system deposits about 98 % of dust and sweepings into the small metal barrel under the cyclone.

The system, as I have installed it, does a good job of trapping most of the dust and chips from my 3650, RAS, and router. I am currently making a vacuum adapter for my old Makita 1/4 sheet sander.

At present, I don't have a jointer or planer, so the small cyclone is adequate to my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by sauk_98 View Post
          Has anyone seen any good plans for building s pre-separator with a garbage can thet will work with a 2 1/2" shop vac hose? All i can find are ones using 3"pvc. Is there a way to adapt a 2 1/2" hose to 3" pvc?
          Grizzly has that 2 1\2" to 3" adapter.
          http://www.grizzly.com/products/G2551

Comment

Hi everyone

I just saw this post and thought to add my solution even though I know that usually Americans love to buy everything, and no wonder, the prices in USA are at list half than in Europe, not to mention that the selection is very poor so, we have to make the jigs...

I don't have planer/thicknesser so, all my dust is mainly fine dust...from the table saw, router, sanders etc.

On my modified shop-vac, almost all the dust is stopped by the "pre-filter", I have to clean the main filter ones in 6 months or so...

So here is my R2D2...the barrel is of 25 Gallons (from the sour cabbage guys

Because the pre-filter is stopping most of the dust, it gets clogged, not to the extend that there is no suction, but it reduces the performance and I have to clean it at least ones a day...it's not a big deal, just to change it (I have a few) and later, wash the used one.

To extend the pre-filter "life", I added the "Hammer"...every now and then, I "hammer" the pre-filter a few "bangs" and it becomes like new (almost)...that way, I don't have to open and wash the pre-filter for very long time (actually, till the barrel is full).

On the pics, I vacuumed around 7 Gallons in one shot and you can see the results...

Comment

Regards
              niki

Comment

Niki -

Genius!

Way to think "outside the box" - or canister in this case!
                "It's always something...That's how they getcha'..."

Comment

Thank you Dust Dawg

That's the result of poor resources and "necessity..."

The first shop-vac works the same way but with home-vac...I'm using it as well because it has variable power and for most of the cases (except TS and router table) I don't need so much power (and noise)...

Comment

Thanks for sharing your ideas Niki - you are very inventive. (great pics) I might put some of your dust collection ideas to use this winter. Nice router table also!
                    Dave

Comment

Thank you so much Dave

It makes me feel good to know that the pics gives you some ideas to build your system.

Oh, taking pictures is my "weak point" (I take 3~4 pics and later select the best one).

Regards
                      niki

Comment

You're correct in that we tend to buy everything. The first thing I do is GOOGLE what I need (or want). If it's too expensive we may tend to do without. Your posts and pictures reminded me of the old saying, "necessity is the mother of invention."
                        Jestem zarekwirowany
                        Jim
                        Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X