X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• router bit test from fine woodworking

here is a a chart of the router bit test done by fww mag this last year. i hunted this up when i started looking for a incra bit set and i must say some of the results are of suprise to me. ratings of poor, fair , good, very good , and excellent. some of the brands that cost the most (freud, amana, ridge, cmt, & bosch) only did middle of the road with a "good" rating. while some brands i had thought to be inferior because of price did either very good or excellent..such as lee valley..rockler..southeast..woodteck..and eagle. whiteside also did excellent and so i ended up purchasing their incra set over the freud set.check out the results for your self..good info.

link to to chart shown on southeast's site..one of the cheaper brands that rated as excellent: http://www.southeasttool.com/CCI00108.pdf

Re: router bit test from fine woodworking

Thanks Matt. I saved that one in my woodworking folder. Welcome to the forum by the way.
    See ya when the sawdust clears,
    Hector

Comment

Keep in mind that these tests were based on one sample of one profile AFAIK, which may or may not be representative of an entire line, so the test results don't necessarily prove much. Makes for an interesting read though!

I've always thought Whiteside, Eagle America, Infinity, CMT, and Freud were top notch...no surprises that those names fared well. The "Fair" rating of MLCS, PC, and Woodline was disappointing. The high rating of Rockler and Woodtek surprised me some...the prices always seem to high to justify a purchase...shipping and tax tend to kill any Rockler deals. Holbren is one of the budget lines that did quite well considering their low price and free shipping....since I've had good results with several of those bits, no surprise there either. The Grizzly bits I've used seemed average, plus they get expensive after shipping. Too bad Price Cutter bits weren't included...I've been pleased with results for the price.

Comment

Just a quick aside related to the previous post.

Rockler is currently doing a no-shipping cost promotion if you sign-up for Rockler rewards. Free shipping expires / ends October 7.

Comment

Rockler is running another special now...

But, FWIW, Amazon.com has great pricing in CMT, Freud and others... free 2nd Day shipping for us Prime Members...

Comment

Matt,

Have you ever used any of the bits you mentioned?

Comment

Working...
            X