No announcement yet.

Heater for garage

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heater for garage

Originally posted by DaveD View Post
    I installed a Dayton 220v heater that hangs from the ceiling of my insulated, detached 2 car garage. I;m totally happy with it-works very well. I think it was around $300.00. I already had a 220 line out to the garage for a large compressor but it still cost me another $400.00 (electrician)to hook it up.
    Over the years I've used several methods of heating - mostly to cure epoxy on a couple of boats I was building. It required heating the garage to about 60 or better for about a day at a time.
    -small electric 1500w radiator types using several seemed to get the job done
    -Kerosene (kills your lungs - pita to refill)
    -small propane radiant and salamander - heats well but co problem and also puts a lot of "liguid" into the air - you need lots of ventilation which defeats the purpose.
    Haven't yet figured the cost to run it. Will do that this winter. I've just connected the house to 2 garage walls with a family room addition so heating the garage will be easier this year

Thanks Dave,
    Im thinking about going electric. I have a 220 outlet from my dryer that I may use since dryer runs off of 110. I have one 1500 watt radiator style and it doesnt work very well but I can feela bit different.It was something I have had for a long time.It draws alot of power and has tripped my GFI in garage a few times. Im working on getting 90 amps more in there this week.
    Thanks for your advice.

I have a 20x24 well insulated shop with eight foot ceilings. I take the initial chill off with a propane salamander. Once the shop is up to temperature I use an Eden Pure quartz heater I found in an advertisement, I think, in American Woodworker magazine. As I recall it was about $400.00. I plug it into a 120 wall outlet and let it do its thing. The heater does a good job of heating the shop.

The down side to my arrangement is that a byproduct of burning propane is water vapor. I try to keep the propane use to a minimum, 15-20 minutes, so I don't have to fight the rust. There was a tragic, accidental loss of life in my area the result of a faulty furnace installation so I bought a plug-in-the- wall CO2 monitor.

I bought a forced air hot water powered type unit at an auction to install in my old shop and never did..its sitting out in the garage here an wont be used..its huge

Something I have been thinking about adding this winter. I found at Menards a ceiling fan that has a heater built into it. I my garage I have 2 lights, one above each car. I want to replace the lights with the heater fans and that should keep me warm and keep the heaters off the ground. It should also help when I have to work in the summer heat, just turn on the fans.