Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock rabbit joint for plywood drawers?

I am building Norm's workbench hutch to try and get organized in my shop. I was about to get started on the drawers when I came across the "Making Super Simple Drawers" video (http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid1213841038) on the Wood site. My dovetail jig is not big enough for most of the drawers (sorry-I don't have enough time to do them by hand) so I was thinking this would be a great solution. My question is can I use this technique on plywood drawers? The plans call for using 1/2" cab grade plywood. Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Re: Lock rabbit joint for plywood drawers?

I think it would work fine. Just make sure the sheet is dead flat or you will have curves in your drawer sides that will rub on the frame as the drawer moves in and out. Poplar is also a good choice

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
      I think it would work fine. Just make sure the sheet is dead flat or you will have curves in your drawer sides that will rub on the frame as the drawer moves in and out. Poplar is also a good choice
      Good advise there,

I once made some drawers out of plywood and when I cut the dado for the bottoms the darn things began to curl.

Keep em flat and you will be ok.

Regards,

Comment

Yes, you can. I made them like that for the drawers on my chopsaw's moblie cart. If you are really worried about the sides curving, make the bottoms a bit tighter than usual. It is all plywood, so expansion/contraction is not that big of a factor. If they want to bow outward, clamp the bow out and put some hot-melt in the joint.

Comment

Not familiar with the design of the drawer, will it be mounted to slides, or will the bottom edge of the drawer sides be the runners. If the second, you might get some uneven wear on the ply edges. Just a thought.

See ya when the sawdust clears,
          Hector

Comment

Working...
          X