Built in just finished

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built in just finished

Hi, This isnt much but there is alot to built ins. Inside the two doors on each side are 4 adjustable shelves. The wood is birch and poplar.
    The finish is General Finishes Gel Stain Java (boy its dark stuff, thats one coat) Then three coats of Bartleys Gel Varnish. I notice that you dont get any real sheen to it until the third coat. It dries fast too.

Sorry for pics there small, it was a camera phone. Unit is only 8 inch deep top , edge banded shelves upper an lowers. Bottom is 14 inch deep by 38 tall. Tongue and groove door frames.

Thanks for looking. Its my third built in. I have one more small one coming up.Now im building a cherry plasma center. Looks like a buffett.I will have pics by end of next week.

Name:  dceb9ce2644b0901bb4536a34c478a62.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  76672e6c4bdc236a7c54baaf499c41bd.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  26.3 KB

Re: Built in just finished

L\@@/ks great

Love the dark finish.

Thanks for sharing
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Nice work. The dark stain is really nice. How do you like the gel varnish?
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
        Nice work. The dark stain is really nice. How do you like the gel varnish?
        I love the gel varnish. Much more than the stain, stain takes alot more muscle to rub it in. Cant beat gel varnish on a large surface. I like to try an finish my pieces while they are all flat and not assembled. Varnish I only use one rag, just rub it in good and you shouldnt have to rub it off. Corners are tricky, need something blunt pointy to get into corner witha rag to get gel out and then you might leave a streak mark against the grain so like I said much easier to do flat an quick, no drips either!

Bartleys is excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodywoodchuck View Post
          I love the gel varnish. Much more than the stain, stain takes alot more muscle to rub it in. Cant beat gel varnish on a large surface. I like to try an finish my pieces while they are all flat and not assembled. Varnish I only use one rag, just rub it in good and you shouldnt have to rub it off. Corners are tricky, need something blunt pointy to get into corner witha rag to get gel out and then you might leave a streak mark against the grain so like I said much easier to do flat an quick, no drips either!

Bartleys is excellent.

Ah, cool! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep my eyes out for some. At this stage, I'm still experimenting. My favorite finish so far is hand-rubbed oil, but it takes so much time to build up the layers. Like you, I prefer to do things pre-assembly as much as possible. Although with the oils you have to be extra careful about glue, so mostly I wait till all the glue-up is finished.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Nice job. I like the dark look. In the first picture, are those electrical outlets above the first shelf?
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JJCiesla View Post
                Nice job. I like the dark look. In the first picture, are those electrical outlets above the first shelf?
                Yes, client needs to put on black covers.

Comment

Working...
                X