X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• depth gage adjustment on planer

I have my new thickness planer set up and have run some boards through. I'm really pleased with the result, but the depth gage seems to be off by quite a bit. Is this adjustable or can you calibrate it?? The manaul discusses how to adjust the thickness indicator, but not the depth gage.

In addition, the infeed and outfeed tables are very slightly lower than the planer table where they attach to the machine, that is, at the point closest to the planer. I have adjusted them as best as I can with the adjustment screws, but this really only adjusts the angle of the infeed and outfeed tables relative to the planer table. Unless they are dead level with the planer table at the point closest to the planer table, using the adjustment screws will not get the tables all completly level. Are they adjustable?

Thanks Dennis

PS I just bought some 8/4 rock maple, 8/4 sapelle, 8/4 pakauk, 8/4 ash, 4/4 peruvian walnut, 4/4 lemon wood, and a mixed bag of other species. I have 20 cutting boards to in the next 4 weeks!! If these work out well, I'm going to be brave and buy some babinga and cocobolo or other nice exotics and make some pretty (and expensive) cheese boards!

Re: depth gage adjustment on planer

Might care to poke about this list when making cutting boards.....

http://www.collinsclubs.com/woodwork...ity_chart.html
    “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

I did look into wood toxity when choosing the wood species. Its diffiuclt to look at the data in the chart, which seems to be from reputable sources, and know how that translates to cutting boards. For example, if you look at beech, a very common wood used in europe for furniture, cabinets, cutting boards, and butcher blocks, its states that dust, leaves and bark cause a common a reasonably strong reaction as a sensitizer and cancer agent! Not sure if the dust referes to wood dust. Then birch wood, again another common wood used in europe, has reasonably strong and common indication as a respiratory sensitizer. I'm not sure how the toxicity tests were done, and I would image that the guide was for people working with the woods who are exposed to large amounts dust and chips. The amount of any wood toxin that would enter the boddy from a cutting board, I would think would be insignifcant. Especially compared to toxin exposure from say microwaving food in plastic bowls, having your hosue sprayed with pesticides, volatiles from new carpet or a new car. Ironically, its the secondary plant metabolites that the plant produces and incorporates into the wood that are responsible for the toxicity and the antimicrobial/anti-insect properties of many wood species, their decay resistance, and their beauty!

Thanks for this table however, I had not seem it.

Comment

Dennis,

The inner edge of the infeed/outfeed tables will be slightly below (ca. 1/32") the planer table. The outer edges need to be adjusted level with the table.

How far off is the depth gauge? I use mine as a rough guide to how much wood I'm removing. The only measure that needs to be accurate is the distance between the table and the blades (as measured by the thickness indicator). After jointing one side of a board to make it flat, the opposite side will vary in thickness. Therefore the amount of wood removed will vary when passed through the planer until both sides are flat and parallel. At this point I suppose the depth gauge can be informative, but the actual thickness of the board is what is important.

Chris

Comment

Depth gage is about 50 thou out. But OK, I see exactly what you are saying. Thus far I have only planed boards that are already S2S and pretty flat. I'm just bringing them all to the same thickness but want to make shallow cuts at each pass so was using the depth gage as my guide until they were close to equal thickness, then ran all of them through at the same setting.

My in feed and out feed tables seem to be exactly what you described. I spent some time and tweaked the table adjustments and now I don;t get any snipe.

Thanks for your help.

PS I think I'll just add a small shim to the depth gage to bring it closer.

Comment

Originally posted by DWfromUK View Post
            I have my new thickness planer set up and have run some boards through. I'm really pleased with the result, but the depth gage seems to be off by quite a bit. Is this adjustable or can you calibrate it?? The manaul discusses how to adjust the thickness indicator, but not the depth gage.

In addition, the infeed and outfeed tables are very slightly lower than the planer table where they attach to the machine, that is, at the point closest to the planer. I have adjusted them as best as I can with the adjustment screws, but this really only adjusts the angle of the infeed and outfeed tables relative to the planer table. Unless they are dead level with the planer table at the point closest to the planer table, using the adjustment screws will not get the tables all completly level. Are they adjustable?

Thanks Dennis

PS I just bought some 8/4 rock maple, 8/4 sapelle, 8/4 pakauk, 8/4 ash, 4/4 peruvian walnut, 4/4 lemon wood, and a mixed bag of other species. I have 20 cutting boards to in the next 4 weeks!! If these work out well, I'm going to be brave and buy some babinga and cocobolo or other nice exotics and make some pretty (and expensive) cheese boards!
            I use the Wixey digital scale on my delta, absolutely fantastic

www.wixey.com
            Carpenters make the prettiest firewood

Comment

Are those Wixey scales really that good? I have a Dewalt 735. My wife bought me one of the Wixey scales for Christmas last year. I haven't taken the time to install it because I wondered if it was worth the effort. I have one of the magnetic angle setting scales and I use it all the time.

Tom

Comment

Working...
              X