No announcement yet.

TS3650 dado insert

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grafox----don't appologize---you've asked good questions. First, the short answer is I believe Ridgid has now come out with a dado insert for the new saw, so check in the stores or where you order accessories at HD or on the Ridgid site/phone number.

As to a zero clearance insert----you are right----while in theory, they reduce tear-out, you would need one for each width and height of the dado set. With the lack of standard widths of plywood and even solid wood, personally, I think you'd go crazy seeing that you have a different insert for each width.

I would suggest you wait to get the dado insert before buying a stacked dado set. The old insert used to be made to handle a 7" dado set (odd-ball size, that Ridgid/Sears used to carry). Most other dado sets come in 6" or 8" diameters. If you ever ran the 8" at full height, you might have the blades hit the insert.

Personally, I prefer using the 6" set as it weighs a lot less than the 8" sets and in my opinion, would put a lot less strain on arbor bearings.

Finally, completely read the instructions a couple of times, so you understand the direction of mounting, how to stagger the chippers and insert shims. Remember, a dado hogs out a lot of material so feed it slowly and use pleanty of downward pressure and NEVER put your hand on top of the wood, as it travels over the blades.

Hope this answers your questions.
    Dave

Comment

Good news about the availablity of the dado insert. I hope that your belief is correct. I will try again. I had tried last Monday and was told by Ridgid parts that it was not available. The guy at HD looked at me like I was crazy for asking. With my total lack of experience I was somewhat daunted by the prospect of making one since I do not yet have the tools (or skill) required.

And thanks for the tip about dado size. I was given an 8" for Christmas, but can easily exchange it if need be. I had not considered the wear on the arbor but was somewhat concerned if the 3659 was powerful enough for it.

Comment

I have read that 1/4 inch plywood, or 1/2 inch hardwood would be suitable stock for an insert. Does anyone have any specs for the exact dimensions of the insert? I will likely be making several for a TS2400, and have seen conflicting thing (1/4 versus 1/2). I realize making it from the standard one that comes from the saw is best, just curious if someone had measurements already?

Thanks,
        Scott

Comment

I did also run across this website that sells the inserts for Ridgid Table Saws. It does appear you have to phone in the order, but it is the only place I have found that has the parts listed. It also seems cheaper than the HD stores sell the same parts for.

http://www.localaccess.com/1942/ridgid/

HTH,
          Scott

Comment

wilson,

I checked that web site, and they do not have an insert for the 3650. I purchased the one that is there and it is way too thin. Even with the allen screws all the way in, it sits below the tabgle about a quarter of an inch. If you find one that will fit the 3650, I would like to know where.

jim

Comment

I had to order the 8" dado insert from ridgid parts, which is ordertree? The part number is AC1040 and with shipping is around $21.00. The bad thing is it is 3 weeks backordered!

I am looking for the new part number for the triple molding cutter head - AC2008, which is the old part number. I haven't had a chance to ask Ridgid parts for an updated number, but I would sure like to use my saw as a joiner!

One more thing, does anyones TS3650 saw's drive belt vibrate during spin down after it has been powered down? Not a major deal, just want to know if this is normal, or I need to adjust the belt tension. Otherwise, the saw is perfect!

Thanks! Glen

Comment

Originally posted by gzaros:
                I had to order the 8" dado insert from ridgid parts, which is ordertree? The part number is AC1040 and with shipping is around $21.00. The bad thing is it is 3 weeks backordered!

I am looking for the new part number for the triple molding cutter head - AC2008, which is the old part number. I haven't had a chance to ask Ridgid parts for an updated number, but I would sure like to use my saw as a joiner!

One more thing, does anyones TS3650 saw's drive belt vibrate during spin down after it has been powered down? Not a major deal, just want to know if this is normal, or I need to adjust the belt tension. Otherwise, the saw is perfect!

Thanks! Glen
                You could make a zero clearance dado insert out of a scrap of hardwood or plywood for free. I used a piece of oak and it works great.

Yeah, my 3650 vibrates for about 1 sec. about 3/4 of the way thru coast-down. Back when I had to work for a living we called that "critical speed".

By the way, Welcome newbie! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

My brothr the engineer calls that harmonic imbalance. All spinning objects have a certain rpm in which it throws itself off balance for a split second due to increase or decrease of speed, in the way gravity feeds on the gyroscopy of the spinning mass.

Now I kinda understand what he's saying, but that's the way discussion went weekend before last when were watched the band saw slowing down wabbled like made for a split second.
                  John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I forgot about the harmonic imbalance part. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    Critical speed is the rpm at which it occurs.
                    Our 700 megawatt turbine-generator went through 3 critical speeds between 0 and 3600 rpm. Those were real nail-biting experiences. I don't miss it a bit. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    Lorax

Comment

Funny thing about the harmonic imbalance ... my new 3650 didn't have any the first few times I ran it. Now it does all the time. If I hadn't read here that it was common I might have worried about it.

And my first project with the new saw was to make a dado insert. I had a project going that required something... so I made a prototype out of 1/2" plywood and it worked great. The whole thing took less than part of an afternoon. For final versions I've got a couple pieces of nice oak that I'll use for both a zero clearance and a final dado insert. These tips came from here also. Thanks to those who confirmed the idea. I couldn't see the sense either of waiting for HD, an online vendor, or even Ridgid to come up with factory parts.

Comment

Some interesting feedback from CS. Responding to the recent 3650 product image on Ridgid's site with side leg reinforcements not seen on earlier 3650 products, availability of table inserts and the leg reinforcements. The note on the splinter guard refers to their Jigsaw and is unrelated to 3650.

"Thank you for your purchase of Ridgid products.

No, according to the product manager, the O4 production units do not have reinforcements to the leg supports. There was an improperly placed picture on the web site which showed side panels, but they are not being offered and are not available as they are something being considered for a new model, and its picture was placed on the web site in error.

The #AC1040 8" dado throat plate, and #AC1045 zero clearance throat plate are new accessories that arenot currently in stock at Home Depot stores. They can be obtained by special ordering them through the special services desk at Home Depot, at this time.

The R3120 splinter guard #343379690 is in stock, and can be ordered direct from your closest master parts distributor. If you are east of the Mississippi contact Ordertree at toll free 1-866-472-8177. If you are west of the Mississippi contact Billiou's at toll free 1-877-851-5376. Canadian customers can order replacement parts direct from Barrett Diversified at 1-800-561-0004."

T. Clinkscales
                        Technical Services
                        OWT Industries

... also, for those with Ridgid Shop Vacs, note this from Consumer Reports ....

"Some wet/dry vacuum cleaners sold at Home Depot and Sears stores are being recalled because they have an exhaust blower port that is large enough for a small child to reach inside and be cut by the spinning blower wheel.

The recall involves Craftsman 16-gallon vacuums sold from September 1998 to October 2002 and Ridgid 12- and 16-gallon vacuums sold from March 1999 to October 2002. As a condition of the recall, the Consumer Product Safety Commission agreed not to publicize the number of vacuums affected. Emerson Tool Co., which manufactures both brands, has received 10 reports of children inserting their arms into the ports and receiving minor cuts and abrasions to fingertips.

The recall involves the following models, which sold for $70 to $300 (the model and serial number/date code appear on a plate on the cleaner; only the first five or six characters of the codes are listed here)

Craftsman: 16-gallon model 113.170250, serial number 02049-02210; model 113.170260, serial number 98240-00236; model 113.17033, serial number 02156-02219; model 113.292670C, serial number 99281C-00319C; model 113.295670C, serial number 00227C-02122C.

Ridgid: 12-gallon model WD12450, serial number 01310-02193; 16-gallon model WD16350, serial number 01309-02168; model WD16600, serial number 99168-02155; model WD16650, serial number 01311-02162; model WD17350, serial number 01313-02045; model WD17351, serial number 02043-02178.

What to do:
                        Contact Emerson at 800-359-0179 or visit www.wetdryvacrecall.com for a free insert that fits inside the blower port to eliminate the hazard. "

Comment

Greetings!

Does anyone have an update on the status of the 8" Dado Insert for the TS3650? I have emailed Mr. Robert Freitag, President, and hopefully he can shed some light on this issue.

I'm really in a serious bind; I was wholly unaware that this was not readily available. My projects are in a holding pattern until I can acquire one. :-/

Thank you!

- Lyman

Comment

See topic "3650 Dado Insert". A scrap of hardwood and about an hour of your time and you're all set.
                            Lorax

Comment

Thanks, Lorax, I'll check it out.

This is an outstanding forum for someone like myself. I'm new to woodworking and I'm finding a wealth of helpful information.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Lyman

Comment

If the 3650 uses the same insert as the 3612, then the craftsman dado insert (model 22290) fits like a glove. I bought one last week.

Comment

Working...
                                X