No announcement yet.

TS3650 dado insert

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new to woodworking so please pardon any apparent ignorance.

If the width of a Dado Blade is the same for any given size, what is the determining factor in using a 6", 7", or 8"?

Many thanks!

Lyman

Originally posted by daveferg:
    Grafox----don't appologize---you've asked good questions. First, the short answer is I believe Ridgid has now come out with a dado insert for the new saw, so check in the stores or where you order accessories at HD or on the Ridgid site/phone number.

As to a zero clearance insert----you are right----while in theory, they reduce tear-out, you would need one for each width and height of the dado set. With the lack of standard widths of plywood and even solid wood, personally, I think you'd go crazy seeing that you have a different insert for each width.

I would suggest you wait to get the dado insert before buying a stacked dado set. The old insert used to be made to handle a 7" dado set (odd-ball size, that Ridgid/Sears used to carry). Most other dado sets come in 6" or 8" diameters. If you ever ran the 8" at full height, you might have the blades hit the insert.

Personally, I prefer using the 6" set as it weighs a lot less than the 8" sets and in my opinion, would put a lot less strain on arbor bearings.

Finally, completely read the instructions a couple of times, so you understand the direction of mounting, how to stagger the chippers and insert shims. Remember, a dado hogs out a lot of material so feed it slowly and use pleanty of downward pressure and NEVER put your hand on top of the wood, as it travels over the blades.

Hope this answers your questions.

Comment

Guy's
      Been through this myself. Go to HD store and proceed to special services desk and they can order access for you. Takes about 3 to 5 days. If you get someone that says they can't do it ask for the mananger. Talked to ridgid parts and they say any HD store can order all of the new tool parts and acces. with out problems. Don't ask the guys in the tool crib because they know nothing. Sorry about that but its true!
      If It\'s Not Broke, Fix It Anyway!

Comment

Basically the difference is available depth of cut. The 8" will have a max depth of cut of 2-3/8" and the 6" will be 1-3/8". If you use a crosscut sled with a 3/4" base the deepest dado you can make would be 5/8" (on most table saws).
        Also if you wanted to make dado's at a 45 degree angle(can't think of a reason why at the moment) the 6" dado would only peek through the top of the table at a max height of 1/4"

Comment

I just spoke with Ridgid Customer Service and the 8" Dado Insert is on b/o for ten to fifteen business days (!), which would seem to be ludicrous.

Their technical support did confirm that the AC-1030 will NOT work on the TS3650 despite the statement on the outside packaging. They also told me that there were no aftermarket parts (E.g., Sears) that would fit.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks. :-/

[ 03-24-2004, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: lgldsr ]

Comment

wbrooks

FYI I made a 45 degree dado in my router table for the dust collection. It angles down to the back of the cabinet on the inside where the 4" port is installed. Dust just slides down to be sucked away.
            I came...<br /><br />I saw...<br /><br />I changed the plans.

Comment

Thanks Wbrooks!

I have a question about the Zero Clearence Insert. In looking at an image of same, I'm confused as to it's purpose given that I see no exit for the saw blade...

Comment

The reason it is called 'zero clearence' is that you cut the slot for the blade with your table saw. This produces a slot that is exactly the width of the particular blade that you are useing on your saw. The advantage to this is that you get a cleaner cut with less 'chipout' because the wood fibers are supported on the underside of the work-peice by the insert

Comment

Thanks again Wbrooks! Can this cut be made with the general purpose blade that ships with the saw?

Thx,

Lyman

[ 03-24-2004, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: lgldsr ]

Comment

Lyman,
                    No, you can't use the 10" blade. You'll need a shorter blade (like an 8" blade from you dado set). You lower the 8" blade all the way down, put the ZCI in the table, hold down the front and rear of the ZCI with a clamped piece of wood, start the saw and slowly raise the 8" blade through the ZCI
                    Marcus [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks Marcus...apparently still much to learn.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, indeed much appreciated!

[ 03-25-2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: lgldsr ]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by grafox:
                        [QB] This is my first post and I am slowly learning woodworking. A table saw has been my first major power tool purchase.

I too am a amatuer woodworker... but I find it very simple to make my own inserts out of plastic or even wood for dados...

The saw is in my garage still in the box where it has been since I bought it at the recent HD 20% off sale. It is unassembled because I am considering returning it unopened. If Ridgid or HD can't supply parts I am unsure whether I will be able to get it repaired with or without their lietime warranty. It was a great buy, and I am hopeful that it would be a great saw, but I am now thinking that it may have been too good a buy.

When car manufaturers release a new model... add-ons and accessories always come a lil later... open the saw and feel the power of your 3650

[ 04-01-2004, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: MrE ]

Comment

For those of you who want more details and pictures about making zero clearance and dado throat plates, check this web site.

throatplate.htm

Comment

Working...
                          X