X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band saw dumb question

Ok, here goes. I bought the BS about a month ago, and have been using it a little. My question is... I have got some major drift problems, I read the manual, and think it is set up right, but I can't get it to cut a straight line to save my life. I know that a little drift is normal, but I would have to adjust my fence about 12 degrees to compensate. I got my blocks, and thrust bearings set ok I think. Used the dollar bill method, and blade just kisses the bearings with no load. I have tried adjusting blade tension and tracking, but nothing helps. I have read a post that says the original Ridgid blade sucks, and it may be causing the problem, does anyone have an opinion?

Any help would be appreciated.
    John
    Some people\'s lack of a sense of humor ruins life for the rest of us.

Drift is associtated with a moving shaft. Refer to:
    Band Saw Issues
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

John---I've found The Band Saw Book, by Lonnie Bird, to be a great help, not only in first tuning up the saw, but learning how to work with drift.
      Dave

Comment

Dave,

Received a new motor today!!! Almost had a heart attack!

Though badly abused by UPS, my toes tingled to the delight. I took many photo's, got the bandsaw working, and did some in depth adjustments. Photo's will show all, machining of the top and bottom halfs are nearly the total problem with the band saws. Wish I had time to do it all tonight, but will have to wait until this weekend.
        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Yo Woody,

What kind of new motor did you get? Bigger, stronger, lighter?

Comment

Woody, sorry your toes were abused by UPS. Did you drop the package on them - to make them tingle?

Comment

Dave,
              Do you really think the Band Saw book by Bird is worth the $$? Never seen one at Barnes & Nobles so appreciate your opinion.

Comment

Desmo,

It was basically the same motor as far as the eye can tell. Only difference is the adhesive attached label. Origanal one was white with black letters, new on is black with white letters. All information is exactly the same with the exception of the seriel number.

I took photos and when time allows I will display.

Comment

The Band Saw Book can be found at Buy.com for $13.57 with free shipping.

Julian

Comment

Thanks for that info, Julian...will do.
                    Cal

Comment

Some blade drift is inevitable due to the physics of the blade. In fact, each blade has it's unique drift. However, properly tracking, tensioning, guide (cool) blocks and bearing positioning, and proper blade selection usually make it manageable. If you are using a fence, the fence must be aligned to taken into account the amount of draft. Some fences don't have enough adjustability to do this. Obviously, aligning the fence the miter guage (as with table saw) or stationary blade won't work. The procedure for aligning the fence is described in Mark Dukinski's The Band Saw Book, although I'm sure it's in Lonnie Bird's book also. I know an issue of Fine Woodworking (within the past year or so) has included band saw tune up. Here is a short version. Scribe a straight line on a scrape piece about a foot long. Hand cut (no fence) the piece about 1/2 way through--go slow and stay on the line. You will see that your piece is angled. Clamp the piece so that it doesn't move. Align your fence with the angle of the wood. Remove clamp and finish cutting piece with fence. You should be on the line. A potential problem is that your fence doesn't have enough adjustment to fully compensate for the drift. In that case, you might try a clamped scrape piece of wood as a fence.

Comment

Hi, thanks everyone! I have adjusted and readjusted, till Im blue in the face. I have aligned the scrap wood fence, but the drift is so bad that I cant cut a curve to the right at all. [img]smile.gif[/img] I went and bought a new blade yesterday, I will try that and let you know.
                        To other BS1400 owners, check your HD, I got cool blocks last week for $5, and they have lots of other accessories on sale too.

On another note, I was using my Ridgid cordless recip saw today, for only the 3rd time, and the chuck broke off at the base, I guess I will get to see the warranty process first hand.
                        John

Comment

Well, called ridgid today, they gave service center numbers. Called few of them, they said no parts available, and it would take 2-4 weeks to LOOK at it, and them who knows how long to fix it. So called ridgid back and they said to take whole kit back to HD. HD took about 2 minutes to give us a complete NEW kit.
                          So, not too happy about the run around from ridgid, but happy with the outcome.

John

Comment

I learned from bandsaw book too. Most blades that come with bandsaws are crap. Buy a carbide tipped blade as soon as you get the chance. 2 things that help with resawing. Wider blade. 3/4 inch. Tension. Wider blades need more tension. Setting the guide just above the wood piece you are sawing. And I would recommend cool blocks too. You can actually set the block against the blade. Makes for less runout. Bandsaw is a great machine, but has lots of areas that need tweaking. took me several months to really know mine. - Jake

Comment

I learned from bandsaw book too. Most blades that come with bandsaws are crap. Buy a carbide tipped blade as soon as you get the chance. 2 things that help with resawing. Wider blade. 3/4 inch. Tension. Wider blades need more tension. Setting the guide just above the wood piece you are sawing. And I would recommend cool blocks too. You can actually set the block against the blade. Makes for less runout. Bandsaw is a great machine, but has lots of areas that need tweaking. took me several months to really know mine. - Jake

Comment

Working...
                              X