Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAD software??

Good Morning All

Being new to this forum excuse me if this has been asked before. I would like to have some input about design type software. I would like to generate a detailed plan of a project and maybe a material list. What do you use and why do you like it?

Mike in Goodrich, MI

Where men are men and the women are still in charge (that never changes does it?)

I've used AutoCAD throughout the years because of my work and school. I'm far from an expert with it, but know enough to get myself in trouble. We just got AutoCAD 2004 here at work, and it is about where someone with no CAD experience could learn it (OK so I'm exaggerating a little). Anyway, I've designed a few things before building them. I usually start off on engineering paper and then try to transfer it.

Brad

Comment

AutoSketch, another Autodesk product, is sort of a simplified version of Autocad and is much easier to learn. Cheaper too. I do all of my designs with AutoSketch, fast and simple.

Comment

I've purchased a few expensive CAD programs, but they are more complicated than I could figure out with no education in CAD, only Drafting.

Several months ago this topic came up. DeltaCAD was mentioned. I downloaded the 45 free trail version, and found it very easy to learn and use. So I bought it.

Try your luck www.deltacad.com

Good Luck
        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I haven't actually drawn with it, but TurboCad is about $89. and has the ability to also open Autocad files, even the .plt files. This would be handy for swapping plans with an autocad owner, thats what I use it for. Got it at BestBuy.
          \"Is it Friday yet?\"

Comment

I use Visio, but it isn't meant to be used as a cad program.

- J

Comment

I have been using CAD for about 15 years a mechanical engineer (machine design). It really depends what you want to spend and what you want it to do. Although 3D may seem more than you can handle, turns out its actually much easier. It also frees up resources in your brain that are trying to visualize 2D lines into a real object so that you can come up with a better design.
              No explaining, no hand waving.

We use Solidworks, which is the same cost as AutoCAD 2D. SolidEdge is also good and about 1/3 less that Solidworks.

If you are simply making rectalinear cabinets, etc, then 2D is probably all that's needed. I would go with AutoCAD LT. Its pretty much an industry standrad for cheap CAD.

To whet your appetite, here is a design I just did for a router table extension to my TS3612. The anle will attach ti the existing table saw fence making it real convenient.

Comment

I can't speak for the rest of the guys, but for me without the education of CAD, or higher mathmatics, the terminology the programs use looses me right off. Even the brief video examples I can't follow.

Delta CAD is not 3D, but it is easy to draw what you have done above. Just pick the angle at which you draw the lines. I usually start out with a drawing something yours, then work my way through all the pieces showing all the jointery on each piece.

It would be nice to put into motion a 3D view that rotates so you could get a look at all the sides as a whole.
                John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I'm in the lower class....use Corel Draw 9 for all my sketches. Work paid for it & I still use it alot there also for home stuff.

Comment

I just started playing with AutoSketch. So far, it seems to be intuitive and simple to learn. I took drafting in school, but really haven't been a CAD user.

You might want to take a look at AutoSketch. The price is reasonable (about $90).

Comment

Just a quick follow-up. I have played with AutoSketch for a few hours this morning. I absolutely love it! ! ! !

I have only used it in 2-D, but it has been very easy and intuitive to use and learn. If it says anything, the manual is only about 30 pages thick and most of that is examples.

Anyone looking for a quick program to do light design work needs to consider this program!

Comment

Working...
                      X