X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planer Suggestions

Hey Guys ~ I'm new to this forum. Looks like a great place to hang out!

I'd like to ask anyone who has a Ridgid Planer (13") what they think of it. I've been wanting a planer for years but never been able to justify the cost, since it's just for hobby use. I think I'm finally ready to spend the bucks. I work in the construction field, and there's nothing I hate more than junk tools. If I'm going to spend hundreds of hard-earned dollars on myself (denying my wife & kid those dollars) I want the tool to function correctly.

So,..there............Any suggestions?

Fitz

Fitz

I’ve had mine for 8 months and I am totally satisfied with it. I’ve used it on white and red oak, mahogany, walnut, cherry and pine and it has provided good results with minimal snipe. This is the only planner that I’ve ever used, so I am in no way qualified to state that it is superior to other brands, but if I were to purchase another one today it would be the Ridgid.

Woodslayer

Comment

I don't own one, but have researched this up and down and every way possible.
      The TP1300 is the Hands down winner. Some will say it falls in second behind the Delta, but with the Ridgid warranty and Customer Support,you just can't do any better. I hope to buy mine tomorrow!!!
      Rob J.
      Orange, Ca.

[ 02-22-2003, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Backyard Woodworker ]
      Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

I've been using the TP1300 for a couple of months, and found it performs well. Snipe occurs if you don't ensure that long material is well supported on both the infeed and outfeed sides, the same as any other planer. The dust collection hood, when conected directly to my DC, removes 98% of cuttings. Haven't found the pre-set thickness setting feature to be that useful, as I always seem to want a measurement that falls between the 8 pre-sets.

I've found the Ind-I-Cut function invaluable to allow me to take 1/32" cuts and produce the exact same thickness's on multiple pieces of stock.

The TP1300 and Delta 580 are runnning neck and neck at this time. The Delta does allow any pre-set measurement to be programed in. However, the lower cost, stand and lifetime warranty have also to be considered in Ridgid's favor.

David

Comment

I purchased my TP1300 based on the included stand and extra set of knives available then. After 2000 board feet, I am very pleased with its performance, BUT! you need dust collection. My Shop Vac never stood a chance. I don't think any brand of planer would be able to do large volume on a shop vac though. I ended up doing some "modifications" that I will not describe in detail on the forum, but the finish was excellent afterwards.
          \"Is it Friday yet?\"

Comment

Thanks for your input. I can see how the dust collection is going to be a problem. I,too, was thinking I could use my shop vac for awhile.
            I may have to put some more thought into this.

Fitz

Comment

Fitz,

It was the purchase of the planer, then connecting to my powerful shop-vac, that started me on the DC route. Shop-vacs, of any make cannot cope successfully with the output of planers, of any make! This is a fact.

How do you get on board with a DC, that you didn't think you'd need? For $126 delivered, the (in)famous HF DC. A 10 foot 4" hose and you're OK. Because it's directly connected to, what is, a poorly designed dust hood, it's still capable of extracting 98%+ of the cuttings from the planer. It really does make the difference when you're ploughing through board after board.

Since you're spending $400+, might as well go the whole hog!!

David

Comment

I have to agree with David on the dust collection. Until I save up for an addition to my shop, I'm forced to use a Vacuum. And there is no way it can handle it all. The suck just isn't there. On narrower boards I find myself running them through the left side of the machine which is closest to the 2 1/2" port to maxamize dust collection. Resulting in one side of the blades duller than the other, and when running wider boards through it, not getting the result expected. It's a messy machine, and it throws chips quite a ways, as any brand name does.

But in any case, you won't regret the purchase of the Ridgid TP1300! There are plenty of reviews out there, putting it up against several of the bigger name brands, it comes out with on top. Plus it comes with a stand. Just remember to lock the head, it makes a heck of a difference on snip.
                John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I've had my planer for about a year now and I love it. I've sent quartersawn white oak, red oak and poplar through it with no problems. The only problem I did have is that there was a nick in the blades, but I soon learned that changing the blades (just turning them around) is a very quick and painless (so long as you don't grip the edge) process. Also, I got an extra set of blades with it.

As for dust collection, I agree that a shop vac is woefully underpowered for what it turns out. It tosses the uncollected chips back down on the board and that can divot the wood. I also understand that this is indicative of all planers. If I have lots of planing to do I just haul it outside and make a pile on the ground to clean up.

Get one, you'll can't get better customer service/support anywhere else.

Michael

Comment

Thanks for all the good info.

David ~ pardon my ignorance, but exactly what and where is this "(in)famous HF DC" ?

Greg

Comment

www.harborfreight.com

HF DC = Harbor Freight Dust Collector

They have several models on their web site, the cheapest being around $130. Browse this forum or do a search on how to enter "secret" codes that may or may not get you a discount from HF's posted price. I'd fill you in here, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Comment

Fitz,

As I stated, you can get a reasonably good DC for $126 delivered. It's become somewhat of a cult obsession on the Woodnet Forum. Hence my (in) famous descriptor.

By the way, it does work. Real specs are that it puts out about 1000 CFM at 1 1/2hp. The listed specs are 1600 CFM at 2hp. It has a 10" impeller with 5" inlet, branched to two 4" inlets.

For that price, up from a dust-vac, it can't be beat. You'll need an improved dust collection bag, better than the standard 30 micron filtration. So another $20-$30 gets you that. The same as any other DC purchase, you'll still have to spend this extra cash for 1-5 micron improvement.

This is what it looks like with a 1 micron upper filter bag, and lower plastic collector bag.

http://home.attbi.com/~djrose/wsb/me...8/site1002.jpg

Floor area that it takes up: 22" x 33" The hose running off to the right is a 10" one directly to my Ridgid Planer.

David

[ 02-25-2003, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Cutbuff ]

Comment

Cuttbuff

I'm surprised you are not running a seperator on your system yet.
                          Support Our Troops!
                          www.mnpatriotguard.org
                          www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Cutbuff, looks like a nice unit. Wish i could put it up against a 12" impeller Jet or Grizzly. Did notice one thing wrong in your shop. It's too clean!!! I've seen hospitals that looked dirtier!!! Are you sure you actually use the tools?

Comment

Cutbuff,

How loud is your dust collector? Does it scream like a shop vac? I've been saving my pennies for a 1.5-2hp cyclone and your system looks appealing too.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X