X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood chisels

Hi all I need some opinions on wood chisel. I want a good set but not more then say 100 dollars on a set i saw a few and would like your opinions on them (1)craftsmen (2)stanley fatmax (3)irwin thanks all

Re: wood chisels

hey kevin, im in the same boat. looking for a set that wont break that bank, but will serve the purpose of clearing mortises and cleaning up corners etc every now and then. i looked at some of the sets on holbren but they are $120+ a set for two cherries etc..not really what im looking for. i think ill try grizzly and ask around at some of the other forums as well.

Comment

Chisels, especially the great quality ones, can pretty much break the average budget. I look at some of the sets in the Lee-Valley catalog and elsewhere, and it makes me envious.

IMO, a good basic set is either the Blue Point Chisels or the Irwin/Marples steel-cap set sold by Rockler and a few others. At the moment, I believe Rockler has these on sale. They are four bevel-edged chisels, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1-inch and they normally sell for around $30. I believe Rockler's current sale price is $22. The blades are tempered within 1-inch of the high-impact handle and they are sharpened and honed. (Many of the inexpensive chisels are NOT fully sharpened.)

The set that I have, is made in Sheffeld, England and was purchased at my local Home Depot a couple of years ago. I mention Rockler, because they advertise that their stock is also made in Sheffeld. The current Home Depot stock is made in China and apparently is a lower quality item that Home Depot carries. Side-by-side, they almost look alike, but you can see a much better finish on the Sheffelds'.

(I'm not sure if it was this forum, or another that I visit, that had a post showing one of these chisels that was split. A call to Irwin, got absolutely no help and was advised to return it to HD for replacement. Knowing that I had purchase mine at HD, I checked mine against the current stock and found them to be made in China, no lifetime guarantee, and no honing!)

In any case, this is a good starter set and is better quality than the standard Craftsman chisels, IMO. Certainly you can buy better, but the price difference can be dramatic. There are of course chisels designed for specific tasks, but I think most of us start off with bevel-edged chisels, unless you're going into something specific.

CWS

Comment

Holbren has got a set of (4) Two Cherries chisels for ~ $88 w/free shipping.
        http://www.holbren.com/home.php?cat=622

Comment

I was just at woodcraft's annual event and there was a guy there shopwing off hand planes and how they worked etc. He had some Lee Valley Chisels he reccoemnds of course very pricey. He said his second pic was the Blue Irwin Marples, I got 6 of them for 65 less 10%.
          There pretty nice, they came in a wood box also with latches.Unlike the 4 pack.

Comment

For the money the LV set is excellent value. They are good steel, hold and take an edge, have handles that you can beat on with a steel hammer (if you really find that necessary) and come sharp. boxed set of 7 (1/4" - 1 1/2") is only $108 or $88 without the box. They also have a set of 5 (1/4" - 1") for $57

Comment

Decent and cheap, go with the Marples Blue Chip from Home Depot. 4 pc set under $30 and larger individual sizes to add to the set. I have been using them for about 6 years now and have been very happy with them.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

A couple of things on the Irwin marples:

The 3/8" one in my set had a crack from the edge up the shank, on the left side. I called Irwin and recieved the worst service I have ever experienced. The lady told me to return it to where it was purchased. They were a gift and I didn't know where or have a receipt. I explained this and got a big 'I don't want to talk to this guy' sign from the lady. She told me to take it to any retailler that sells the chisels and they would exchange it. I called several retailers and they said No, not unless it was purchased there and I had a receipt.
                I called back and told the same lady that and got a 'What do you want me to do?' in a rude tone of voice. I said 'Absolutely nothing, I will replace it with another brand'. 'Fine' says she. She then said 'sweetly', 'You can send it back to us and our engineering team will evaluate it and we will replace it if it's a manufacturing defect, but that will take a few months'.

I took it in to Woodcraft to show them the crack and they offered to exchange it and also called Irwin to discuss how I had been treated, the same lady treated them in the same manner.

Also, and importantly, all currently manufactured Marples are made in China, there are only a few still out there made in the UK.
                Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Thanks Ken,

I was wondering where I had seen your post, and I recall that at the time you had posted a picture of the crack!

Seeing PapaDan's post above, I would have to agree with him, except for your experience and the fact that the current Home Depot "Marples" are as you mention, "Made in China" and apparently of inferior quality.

Like Dan, the Marple's that I bought two or three years ago at Home Depot are great and I've had no problem with them. Compared to the current "Marples" at Home Depot, are the following differences:

Blade Stamped on the old, "Made in Sheffield, England", the New, "Chrome Vanadium"

On the old package it says, "Sharpened and Honed" and "Full Lifetime Warranty"; on the new package neither of these are stated.

I noticed in a recent Rockler E-mail that they have the "made in Sheffield" on sale for $22.95 I hope that they are correct in their advertisement.
                  http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ginid=68296750

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                    Thanks Ken,

I was wondering where I had seen your post, and I recall that at the time you had posted a picture of the crack!

Seeing PapaDan's post above, I would have to agree with him, except for your experience and the fact that the current Home Depot "Marples" are as you mention, "Made in China" and apparently of inferior quality.

Like Dan, the Marple's that I bought two or three years ago at Home Depot are great and I've had no problem with them. Compared to the current "Marples" at Home Depot, are the following differences:

Blade Stamped on the old, "Made in Sheffield, England", the New, "Chrome Vanadium"

On the old package it says, "Sharpened and Honed" and "Full Lifetime Warranty"; on the new package neither of these are stated.

I noticed in a recent Rockler E-mail that they have the "made in Sheffield" on sale for $22.95 I hope that they are correct in their advertisement.
                    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ginid=68296750

CWS
                    CW,
                    I should have been clearer, I guess.
                    I find the Marples made in Sheffield to be really good. Any manuf. can have a bad unit, most take care of it better than my experience.

Your point of no lifetime warranty and no UK replacement in the future is very valid.

Comment

These Sorby's are on sale @ Woodcraft (5 piece set)

This Crown set is decent too...

You want decent steel that will hold an edge. Rockwell hardness scale of 58 - 60 would be good for bench chisels. Too hard and the edge chips, too soft and it dulls too fast. Note that specialized chisels are designed differently ie: mortising chisels have very beefy thick shanks and are designed to be struck with a mallet. To be fair some cheaper chisels have harder steel to hold an edge longer and then someone whacks away with a steel hammer or wooden mallet and complains when it chips an edge. The same chisel will do things like paring just fine if honed properly.

That is another issue when it comes to chisels... you have to pick a method of sharpening and learn how to do it properly. You should expect to sharpen brand new chisels as the factory edge will not be honed. Some high end chisels will come honed, but you will still need to have a method, the materials and knowledge to keep them sharp.
                      Cheers! - Jim
                      -------------
                      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Agreed, however you can also compensate for chisel use by changing the grind angle. 20° for hand power only, 25° for mostly hand with the occasional light tap, 30° for mallet assist

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                          Agreed, however you can also compensate for chisel use by changing the grind angle. 20° for hand power only, 25° for mostly hand with the occasional light tap, 30° for mallet assist
                          Yep, good advice Wayne

You should sharpen your chisels according to how you're going to use them...

And then there's micro bevels.... sometimes you don't need to grind the whole face of the bevel to touch up a marginally dull edge. Tip the blade a few degrees beyond normal and you can get a razor sharp edge in a couple of strokes. When the micro bevel starts to widen then it's time to take the whole face back down to your original angle This will actually help save steel as well.
                          Cheers! - Jim
                          -------------
                          All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I received a sale catalog from Hartville Tool that has MHG chisels in different sets ranging from a 6 pc set for $79 to 11pc set for $159. Don't know much about the brand but the catalog says made in Germany. I've bought from them before and had excellent results. Their web site is www.hartvilletool.com hope this helps.
                            If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Originally posted by amcnerl View Post
                              I received a sale catalog from Hartville Tool that has MHG chisels in different sets ranging from a 6 pc set for $79 to 11pc set for $159. Don't know much about the brand but the catalog says made in Germany. I've bought from them before and had excellent results. Their web site is www.hartvilletool.com hope this helps.
                              I haven't tried the MHG bench/paring chisels, but do have a set of their pigsticker mortise chisels and they are fine. Got them from hartville too.

Comment

Working...
                              X