X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Temperature

What is the right temperature for a garage woodworking shop?
    I am thinking about the tools and keeping them from damaged during the winter months not my own comfort. I was planning to keep it at 50degF (10C) all the time and then bring it up to 65degF (18C) when I am working.

Re: Shop Temperature

Thats about the temps I use, maybe even a bit less than 10.
    Only concern would be a non vented gas burner as they add a bunch of moisture to the air
    Just read other post on the Modine so that is fine but you could easily heat it with a 4800W construction heater. I had an 18X20 with similar insulation and the heater did not run much at all
    Last edited by wbrooks; 10-15-2007, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. What is a "construction heater"? I am assuming you mean electric heater. Do you have recommended brand and model?
      thanks,
      Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by athuswal View Post
        Thanks for the reply. What is a "construction heater"? I am assuming you mean electric heater. Do you have recommended brand and model?
        thanks,
        Andrew
        Auchobon Hardware (there online and a seller on amazon) has one an electric 240 volt 4000 watt for 107 delivered. Its normally 119 plus delivery.It doesnt have to be gardwired an it has a 6 foot cord.Can run off a 20 amp circuit.
        108448 Contractor's Buddy Heater, 240 Volt
        $107.99

Comment

Any one of these will do the job. Add a 240 wall thermostat for better temperature control. HD and CTC sell them as well

Comment

just my two cents worth , i live about 30 kilometers east from you so i know exactly the climate you are talking about . i had a 4800 kw. construction heater in my shop for a long time but with the soaring price of hydro in our province i switched to a radiant tube heater about 5 years ago , you can operate either with propane or with a minor modification , run with natural gas . it is hung from the ceiling out of the way , no open flame and vented outside . i have never looked back since i installed it .

Comment

With the cost of propane compared to electricity do you not find that they are about on par as far as $/BTU go?

Comment

Originally posted by athuswal View Post
                What is the right temperature for a garage woodworking shop?
                I am thinking about the tools and keeping them from damaged during the winter months not my own comfort. I was planning to keep it at 50degF (10C) all the time and then bring it up to 65degF (18C) when I am working.
                These are the exact temps I use. Sometimes it gets to warm and I open the door. I realize I'm in a far more warmer climate but it still gets to 0 degrees.
                If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

This is the temperature I run at, and my shop is in Norway, where winter temps under -20C are common. Even working in shirtsleeves, you may find that you want to go down to 14-16 for some jobs, however, opening the doors right up just for a minute is great, and gives a nice change of air.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                    Any one of these will do the job. Add a 240 wall thermostat for better temperature control. HD and CTC sell them as well
                    I use a similar model (Dimplex) and had good success keeping my 500 sq ft shop from freezing when I wasn't around and a toasty 20C when I was. Was wondering about that 240v wall thermostat though, don't see how that would hook up to the heater, does this somehow interface between the heater and 240v plug? would be nice to nail a temp down more accurately. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                    X