X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box Joints

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with box joints? The jig I've made and all I've seen have the pin facing the blade on a sacrifacial piece of wood attached to a miter gauge. Can the jig be reversed facing, with the pin facing the wood worker and still cut good joints? I'm not a 6' giant and sometimes it's difficult to see what I'm doing with everything facing away from me.

Your comments and opinions are appreciated.
    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Re: Box Joints

There is always a way to do anything but it would require a new design. There are two reasons why the pin faces the way that it does, 1 - the sacrificial backer provides zero clearance to prevent tear out when cutting the slots, 2 - there is not enough room between the pin and the miter gauge to cut much width.
    To build a jig that faces you I think you would need to abandon the miter gauge and build the pin and fence setup on a table saw crosscut jig base

Comment

Not true... Just reverse your miter gauge and use a standard box-joint jig in reverse. Now, there are some safety concerns with this approach, so be mindful of your fingers, stance, kickback, etc.

You'll probably still want to arrange a piece of scrap to serve as back to your workpiece. Alternatively a few layers of heavy duty masking tape works *pretty well* most times.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
        There is always a way to do anything but it would require a new design. There are two reasons why the pin faces the way that it does, 1 - the sacrificial backer provides zero clearance to prevent tear out when cutting the slots, 2 - there is not enough room between the pin and the miter gauge to cut much width.
        To build a jig that faces you I think you would need to abandon the miter gauge and build the pin and fence setup on a table saw crosscut jig base
        Thanks for the reply. I do agree with your #1 reason. On #2, the jig i've built has a 'foot' to stand the stock on as it's being cut. If turned around this would put a space between the miter and the jig. I realize this void could create a problem all it's own concerning safety, but using scrap as a filler till the stock is in the void may work. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
          Not true... Just reverse your miter gauge and use a standard box-joint jig in reverse. Now, there are some safety concerns with this approach, so be mindful of your fingers, stance, kickback, etc.

You'll probably still want to arrange a piece of scrap to serve as back to your workpiece. Alternatively a few layers of heavy duty masking tape works *pretty well* most times.
          Thanks for the reply too. I may give your idea a try. My only concern is the kickback you mention. If everything is tight against the miter and jig, would kickback still be a concern? Do you know if anyone has tried this? Thanks for the time...

Comment

Originally posted by amcnerl View Post
            Thanks for the reply. I do agree with your #1 reason. On #2, the jig i've built has a 'foot' to stand the stock on as it's being cut. If turned around this would put a space between the miter and the jig. I realize this void could create a problem all it's own concerning safety, but using scrap as a filler till the stock is in the void may work. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks...
            Can't picture it in my mind, can you post a pic?

Comment

Sure, I'll get one tomorrow evening and post it then. The jig kinda looks like an L. The foot being the lower part of the L.

Comment

Here's a photo of the jig I made. Hopefully this will help.

Thanks...
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X