Help with jig saw blades........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with jig saw blades........

Need help finding T-shank scroll type 20tpi jig saw blades. Need at least 3 5/8 inches. 4" would be better. Scroll cutting with 1 1/2" wood. Currently using 3" blades which is tearing out bottom of cut due to blade being to short.
    Tried internet search and couldn't find anything.
    I know from past experiance you guys will know!
    Thanks...Ray
    Last edited by roadrashray; 10-16-2007, 07:25 PM.

Re: Help with jig saw blades........

I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but Starrett has a 5" long x 3/8" 24 tpi in a T-shank.

I do not believe Bosch has one, but I am not sure, you could also check out Dewalt as they have a decent assortment of blades as well.

As far as finding them in a local supply house, I doubt that you will. You will probalby end up ordering them for somewhere.

REgards,

Comment

My brother just informed me that Lenox makes what you are looking for and according to their website, he is right. Its a model 320-SC (Scroll Cutting), its 3-5/8" long. The Bosch equivalent that they list is only 3" long in a Bosch Blade.

Regards,

Comment

Try McMaster - Carr. They stock just about everything ever made anywhere.
        Steve.

Comment

Thanks for the help........
          Biscuit-When I checked the Starrett site I only found a 3" 24tpi in a universal shank.
          I also had no luck searching for the lenox 320-SC.......Any suggestions?

Steve-The closest fit at Mc-Carr was 3 1/4X3/16X20 t-shank

Comment

Lenox: 3-5/8" scrolling blades

Pack of 2 - 20311 / BT320SC
            Pack of 5 - 20831 / BT320SC

The packs of 2 can be ordered from MSC Industrial Supply as their catalog #07132699 but they do have mininum order (total order) requirements and they are not a cheap place to deal with. On the other hand they have tons of goodies and do ship fast. You can call them at 1-800-645-7270 if needed. or you can visit their web site at www.mscdirect.com and try to use their search engine.

You might give Amazon a try too.

Special note: Some web sites state this blade as being 3 inches but Lenox states it as a 3-5/8 inch length.
            Last edited by Woussko; 10-16-2007, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks Woussko......$4.96ea!!! They are proud of them. I had found a local retailer who could order them in a four pack for $9.95, however it was going to take a week to get them. We were able to make do with some 3 1/4 16TPI Makita blades to get the project done. Major problem was tearing out back side of stock, but it wasn't enough to hurt the piece. We were able to cut off splinters and sand which made it work.
              This is for some fairly intricate scroll work on the railing inserts on a 1879 Victorian house we are doing some restoration on. I'll try to post some photo's later.
              I'm still fairly surprised someone doesn't manufacture a 4" T-shank 20TPI. I tried all the search tricks I could think of and the helpful suggestions others have provided on this thread. The 3 5/8 Lenox is the closest match.
              Thanks again.....Ray

Comment

Why do you figure you need 20 TPI? For hardwood a 10 TPI would be perfect so you could use the Bosch T101BF (4"), If you really need the fine teeth try the T318A, it is 24 TPI for metal but will work just fine in wood as well . You might try clamping a backer to the 1 1/2" wood, even 1/4" ply would support the back and prevent tearout.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                  Why do you figure you need 20 TPI? For hardwood a 10 TPI would be perfect so you could use the Bosch T101BF (4"), If you really need the fine teeth try the T318A, it is 24 TPI for metal but will work just fine in wood as well . You might try clamping a backer to the 1 1/2" wood, even 1/4" ply would support the back and prevent tearout.
                  Experimentation had demonstrated that 20TPI worked best with the 1 1/2" pine we were using. We tried a backer but with the 3" blade we were using it was just the right length to beat its tip on it. With the number of intricate cuts being made it would have been a problem making a pattern backer and holding it in place as we cut each piece. It sounds like the T318A might work.
                  Thanks very much for the help...Ray

Comment

Working...
                  X