Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Kitchen Table top finish? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kitchen Table top finish?

    Im making a kitchen table from a cedar tree, stump is the base and the top is from 2" slabs of cedar.

    What is the best finish to use? I've used mostly Poly clear coat on my pieces so far and 2 part epoxy resin.

    I want a strong finish that will stand up to my wifes daily abuse

  • #2
    Re: Kitchen Table top finish?

    Hi meredge. Welcome to the forums!

    For a finish that'll stand up to constant scrubbing and water and the daily abuse that a table will face, I'd think a poly would be the best. Epoxy might be ok, but personally I'd prefer multiple coats of poly. Since a kitchen table will see water, alcohol, cleaners, and food, poly will stand up to that.

    It'd be nice if you could post some pics. This sounds like a really nice table.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Kitchen Table top finish?

      This is good stuff. I have used it with great results.

      http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...00000024-63200
      Attached Files
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Kitchen Table top finish?

        I think you will need to wipe down the cedar with naphtha to remove the surface oils before you stain/seal

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Kitchen Table top finish?

          I've had good results using marine grade varnish. I refinished our kitchen table with multiple coats, and the stuff is almost bullet proof. My wife and 10-year old daughter have been unable to mar the finish.

          Steve

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Kitchen Table top finish?

            Clean with naptha and give it about 6-8 coats of water based poly with a 400-600 sanding between coats. OR Sand to 600, wipe down with naptha and apply one coat of "bar top finish" That is the clear coat that resists everything that bar patrons can throw at it. LOL Bar top finish is equal to about 15-18 coats of poly.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Kitchen Table top finish?

              Originally posted by TOD View Post
              This is good stuff. I have used it with great results.

              http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...00000024-63200
              Finally, somebody else uses what I like to use, a superior product, if I do say so myself......
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

              http://www.contractorspub.com

              A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Kitchen Table top finish?

                The Helmsman is a spar varnish which is actually formulated to be soft so that it will flex in outdoor use (like on ship spars). You are better off with an interior polyurethane varnish. Or better yet, use Behlen's Rock Hard varnish. I have done several tables with it. It takes a day or so to set up and several weeks to fully cure (you can use the table in the meantime), but it really is hard and lasts a long time. Since cedar is a realatively soft wood, you want really good protection.
                Joe Spear

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Kitchen Table top finish?

                  Originally posted by SWLigler View Post
                  I've had good results using marine grade varnish. I refinished our kitchen table with multiple coats, and the stuff is almost bullet proof. My wife and 10-year old daughter have been unable to mar the finish.

                  Steve

                  Marine varnish is usually the spar type which is a little softer in order to remain flexible and resist temperature changes better when out on the sun.

                  I think 5+ coats of either water or oil based polyurethane is one of the best options for a table top. I've never tried epoxy but I would imagine that should be by far the toughest of any finish. I've seen commercial bar tops which look like it's a thick clear epoxy coat.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Kitchen Table top finish?

                    Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                    Marine varnish is usually the spar type which is a little softer in order to remain flexible and resist temperature changes better when out on the sun.

                    I think 5+ coats of either water or oil based polyurethane is one of the best options for a table top. I've never tried epoxy but I would imagine that should be by far the toughest of any finish. I've seen commercial bar tops which look like it's a thick clear epoxy coat.
                    For what it's worth, a hard finish does not necessarily mean durable. For a kitchen table you want a water proof, cleanser resistant, abrasion resistant, and yes even a little bit flexible finish to absorb minor impacts. A hard finish is more likely to scratch and is susceptible to fractures from impacts. And once you have a small fracture, the water-proof part goes out the window.

                    To each his own, but I'm pretty happy with the results I get from a marine-grade (spar) varnish in this type of application.

                    -Steve

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X