X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workshop

I am setting up a new workshop (woodshop) using a radial arm saw. I have a 13" planer, 12# DeWalt sliding mitre, router kit, and will have a drill press and sander. Does anyone know where I could get a diagram of a good workable layout. My shop is 12'wide by 48' long.

Thanks Ed

Wood Magazine issue 119 Dec.1999 has an article about one. They show all that and more in a 12x 20. It gave me some ideas, but it didn't last long,I kept adding more machinery till I was completly outa room.

Comment

An old addage is: "Your stuff will grow to fill all the space provided plus 10%" Substitute tools for stuff and you get the idea.

I have a long wall with a 6' woorkbench to the right of my radial arm saw, built to the same height as the R/A table, then to the left is an old kitchen cabinet where I have a roller at table height. I built shelves on the bench and cabinet behind the fence line. My planer sits at the far right of the bench when in use and under it when not. I have a benchtop drill press that sits on the cabinet with the post behind the fence line. I open the door to rip long boards which is also in line.

The other side of the shop has a smaller bench that is lower and a good height for hand planing finishing etc. My router table is on castors and sits in between and is the same height as the R/A table which allows me to use it to support sheet goods on the R/A and visa versa.

I built an 2' x2' x 6' open frame storage rack for cutoffs with pegboard sides for toolsand clamps that moves as needed. A band saw and grinding stand sit off to the side.

12 x 14 total space and it's full.

Comment

I kinda did the same as Walnut45 but I also built a work bench 12'6" with the R/A at one end and about 6 foot down I built a depression to house my chopsaw. The bed of the chopsaw is flush with the top of the bench and I have a fence running the entire 12'6". I use the R/A for cutting to length and the chopsaw for all miters. I don't really trust the R/A for anything else, especially ripping. Your tablesaw, when you get one and you will, should sit in the middle of your shop, at least that is the current practice and it makes sense. All of my other tools such as drill press and band saw are against a wall and pulled out when needed. Like Walnut45, my router is in a cabinet on wheels and can be moved anywhere. Be sure to set aside plenty of space for scrap wood. "Scrap Wood" is the code name for extra wood resulting from mistakes. Build a glue-up bench with MDF to insure flatness. I found 18" high by 4'x8' was just about right for me. You never have enough clamps so leave space for clamps to hang on one of your walls. Building a shop is a lot of fun and you seem to have a good deal of space. Just take your time and don't make anything too permenant too soon cause you will probably want to change it.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elowtrip:
          I am setting up a new workshop (woodshop) using a radial arm saw. I have a 13" planer, 12# DeWalt sliding mitre, router kit, and will have a drill press and sander. Does anyone know where I could get a diagram of a good workable layout. My shop is 12'wide by 48' long.

Thanks Ed
          <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just bought a book that pointed out several things to think about. In general, the "Flow" of woood through the shop as it is being machined was something to think about, and also, the bench on which you will assemble should be near your hand tools. Check out woodworkingtips.com they have some tips on setting up also.

Joe

------------------
          Give me another beer, bartender.
          Give me another beer, bartender.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your response. I hope you all enjoy your workshops as much as I am enjoying just building mine!! I recently paid $5 for a set of plans for a really nice workbench that I would be happy to share if anyone would like. It is a great size for a garage or any shop.

Ed

Comment

Working...
            X