Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 bad Ridgid jointers, dare I try a third?

How many people have had bad Ridgid jointers out of the box? I purchased the JP06101 because of 10% off and a Home Depot gift card I had. The first one had a frozen outfeed table. I loosened gibs & nuts before shaking, tapping, etc. This turned in to violent shaking and beating.....to no avail. Took it back as per Ridgid's instructions. The second one turned out to have a middle hump on the infeed table. A straight edge rocks across the table.

I'm tired of hauling & assembling jointers. By the time I take this one back, I will of used up the savings of my gift card with renting trailers. Have I really had some rotten luck or are these jointers now that poorly made?

Is the normal quality worth trying a third? Or is there another brand that is well made for about the same dollar amount? ($400)

TerriS

Re: 2 bad Ridgid jointers, dare I try a third?

I've not heard about alot of quality issues with the jointer, and it sounds as if each of these is an isolated issue. However, after two attempts I'd be a bit peeved as well. I'd speak to the manager, explain about your loss of time and gas, and see if he offers any further discounts as compensation if you risk taking on a third jointer. If not, there are other good machines in the same price range.

Comment

I have only heard bad about them also. I wouldnt get one for the sheer fact of how lightweight it is and will tip with some heavier boards on them. I spent an extra bit for shipping and got an 8 inch griz. I notice with 8 inch I wish I had a 12 because alot of baords I could get to build funrnture are 9-10 inch wide.Other than that its a great heavy machine.Runs off 220.

Comment

Originally posted by TerriS View Post
        Or is there another brand that is well made for about the same dollar amount? ($400)

The Craftsman 21705 (made by Orion/Steel City):
        http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...21705&sLevel=0

And the Jet 708457K:
        http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rs+%26+Shapers

are nice jointers. Sears is giving the Craftsman club discount this week. And the Jet may still have free shipping. The Craftsman you can p/u in the store.

I ordered the Jet the other night during a Sears midnight madness sale. After the sale discount, club discount, free shipping, and a Jet $25 mail in rebate, my net cost will be $377 to my door. You can still probably get either one for just over $400 this week. Be sure to join the craftsman club if you do not already belong.

Good luck,
        Ern

Comment

I know someone who recently bought that 6" Jet closed stand jointer. Paid $450 at Woodcraft. It's sweeeeet..........
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
          X