Buying used Planer and Jointer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying used Planer and Jointer

Have been toying with the idea of getting both machines and came across a Delta DJ 15 jointer and a Delta planer (not sure of model number but looks to be same age as jointer and same performance level) from a custom mill shop looking to make some space. Both units work and may need blades. I have seen the jointer online for $400 - $600 used. Because I can get new ones for the price of the used machines I am not sure if its worth it. I understand the used ones for sell are probably a little higher quality than what I can buy new so that complicates things a little. I am very new to woodoworking so if anyone can throw in thier opinions I would appreciate it.

Re: Buying used Planer and Jointer

If you can get a DJ-15 in good working condition for $400, I'd jump on it in a hurry. Check the tables and fence for flatness with a straight edge. Raised the infeed table to the same level as the outfeed and check that the two tables are co-planer. Spin the cutterhead by the belt (unplugged) and listen for excessive bearing noise. Run it if possible.

Comment

Re: Buying used Planer and Jointer

Thanks hewood.

Comment

Working...
      X