X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado for new TS2400

i've just bought the TS2400LS and was trying to put a new Freud 8" stackable Dado blade on it. The manual says to simply remove the inner blade washer & spacer. Mine won't move.I tried taping it with a nylon hammer but it won't budge. Am i doing something wrong (Apart from using the 8" dado set)?

Re: Dado for new TS2400

Hiya rdowns, I think you're a bit confused on what the manual says...

This is what it says ->

NOTE: When using the dado or molding
    head, it is not necessary to install
    the outer (loose) blade collar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2fadce4fd371db3f24dc1e3bc8692bc2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	2081

You have to remove the outer (loose) washer in order to fit the 13/16" full dado stack on the arbour. This is true for anything over a 1/2" dado stack.
    The manual says leave it off (loose washer) when using the dado head... I put it on if it fits ie: I can still get the nut on.

Hope this helps
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I don't have the manual in front of me but i was sure it said to remove the inner washer and spacer. fig. 47. i'll check thanks. Seems logical if the inner won't move! What's your take on using the 8" Freud stack. I picked it up at the same time from Home Depot. The book says to use a 6". You would think they would sell a 6" given the # of portable saws they sell!

Comment

What I posted is copied from the manual...

An 8" dado set will be fine

If you bogged down in hard heavy wood like Teak while cutting maximum width and depth then I would suggest going with an 6" dado set otherwise I think you'll be fine.
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

we must have different manuals. I looking at mine now and on pg.#34. Operation: Making a Dado cut
          Note: This saw cannot be used to make a bevel dado cut.
          • Unplug saw
          • Lower blade
          • Bla Bla
          • Bla
          • Remove the inner blade washer and spacer. see figure 47.
          • Replace the inner blade washer
          • Mount the dado blade, using the blade and chippers appropriate for the desired width of cut.
          • reinstall the arbor nut
          • Make sure the arbor nut is fully engaged and the arbor extends at least one full threaad past a securely tightened arbor nut.
          • When mounting dado blades, make sure both the inner and outer blade washer are used.
          The problem is i can't remove the inner washer and i can't even see a spacer. When i install the dado and chippers for a 3/4" cut i can only get the arbor nut on a couple of threads. My cabinets are waiting and i can't get my new saw to co-operate!! Help.

Comment

You're right the manual has changed...

I've had my saw (TS2400LS) for a little over a year now (purchased spring 2006). The name of the file I downloaded at that time is "TS2400_SP6499_ENG.pdf" and I see that the same link on Ridgid's site now coughs up "TS2400LS_266_Man.pdf"

I see what you're saying.... your manual says ->
            -------------------------------------------------------
            MAKING A DADO CUT
            See Figure 45.
            An optional dado throat plate is required for this procedure
            (refer to the Accessories section later in this manual and
            check with the retailer where the table saw was purchased).
            All blades and dado sets must not be rated less than the
            speed of this tool. This saw is designed for use with a 6 in.
            stack dado (up to width of 13/16 in.). Do not use an adjustable
            dado on this saw.
            NOTE: This saw cannot be used to make a bevel dado
            cut.
            * Unplug the saw.
            * Lower the blade.
            * Remove the blade guard assembly, throat plate, and the
            saw blade.
            * Remove the inner blade washer and the spacer. See
            Figure 47. (impossible)

* Reinstall the inner blade washer. (huh? doesn't make sense)
            * Mount the dado blade, using the blade and chippers
            appropriate for the desired width of cut.
            * Reinstall the arbor nut.
            * Make sure the arbor nut is fully engaged and the arbor
            extends at least one full thread past a securely tightened
            arbor nut. (this is only possible if you leave the outer washer off for anything over aprox. 1/2" wide dado)

* When mounting dado blades, make sure both the inner
            blade washer and outer blade washer are used. (again impossible for dado's over 1/2" wide)

WARNING:
            Always put all spacers in proper location when
            changing back to saw blade. Failure to do so may
            result in possible injury and damage to the tool. (this makes sense)

Name:	5f4e7fde724078191ab932fb758fef0f.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2086

This is what my manual has to say about dado's ->

Dadoing .................................................. .. 51

Name:	5f56ad9a806c2b4b8a42b99d4178749d.jpg
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	2087

The information on the earlier post I made above came from page 30 of my manual.

It appears that the revised manual has some mistakes in it, hopefully Josh (the message board administrator) or someone from Ridgid will read this post and rectify the situation. I know from experience with other tools etc. that sometimes when a tool is manufactured overseas English can fall victim to poor translation... (like your instructions telling you to take the inner washer off and then put it back on again in the next sentence) Two wrongs don't make a right

If you do a search on this board you'll find lots of other posts asking about dadoing on the TS2400. I have used both an 8" stacking dado set and a 6" stacking dado set on my saw (using my instructions and they both worked just fine) My manual says (and this is good advice with any dadoing) to make deep cuts in smaller increments of 1/8" - 1/4" at a time. Listen to that advice and I don't think you'll have any problems.

I just did a Google search and you can download my version of the manual here ->

http://www.ridgid.com/CatalogDocs/TS2400_SP6499_eng.pdf

Hope this helps
            Cheers! - Jim
            -------------

Comment

Originally posted by jbergstrom View Post
              You're right the manual has changed...

I've had my saw (TS2400LS) for a little over a year now (purchased spring 2006). The name of the file I downloaded at that time is "TS2400_SP6499_ENG.pdf" and I see that the same link on Ridgid's site now coughs up "TS2400LS_266_Man.pdf"

I see what you're saying.... your manual says ->
              MAKING A DADO CUT
              See Figure 45.
              An optional dado throat plate is required for this procedure
              (refer to the Accessories section later in this manual and
              check with the retailer where the table saw was purchased).
              All blades and dado sets must not be rated less than the
              speed of this tool. This saw is designed for use with a 6 in.
              stack dado (up to width of 13/16 in.). Do not use an adjustable
              dado on this saw.
              NOTE: This saw cannot be used to make a bevel dado
              cut.
              * Unplug the saw.
              * Lower the blade.
              * Remove the blade guard assembly, throat plate, and the
              saw blade.
              * Remove the inner blade washer and the spacer. See
              Figure 47. (impossible)
              * Reinstall the inner blade washer. (huh? doesn't make sense)
              * Mount the dado blade, using the blade and chippers
              appropriate for the desired width of cut.
              * Reinstall the arbor nut.
              * Make sure the arbor nut is fully engaged and the arbor
              extends at least one full thread past a securely tightened
              arbor nut. (this is only possible if you leave the outer washer off for anything over aprox. 1/2" wide dado)
              * When mounting dado blades, make sure both the inner
              blade washer and outer blade washer are used. (again impossible for dado's over 1/2" wide)

WARNING:
              Always put all spacers in proper location when
              changing back to saw blade. Failure to do so may
              result in possible injury and damage to the tool. (this makes sense)

Name:	5f4e7fde724078191ab932fb758fef0f.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2086

This is what my manual has to say about dado's ->

Dadoing .................................................. .. 51

Name:	5f56ad9a806c2b4b8a42b99d4178749d.jpg
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	2087

The information on the earlier post I made above came from page 30 of my manual.

It appears that the revised manual has some mistakes in it, hopefully Josh (the message board administrator) or someone from Ridgid will read this post and rectify the situation. I know from experience with other tools etc. that sometimes when a tool is manufactured overseas English can fall victim to poor translation... (like your instructions telling you to take the inner washer off and then put it back on again in the next sentence) Two wrongs don't make a right

If you do a search on this board you'll find lots of other posts asking about dadoing on the TS2400. I have used both an 8" stacking dado set and a 6" stacking dado set on my saw (using my instructions and they both worked just fine) My manual says (and this is good advice with any dadoing) to make deep cuts in smaller increments of 1/8" - 1/4" at a time. Listen to that advice and I don't think you'll have any problems.

I just did a Google search and you can download my version of the manual here ->

http://www.ridgid.com/CatalogDocs/TS2400_SP6499_eng.pdf

Hope this helps
              Yes it all helps. I'm some what new to the woodworking and thought I had made some dumbass interpritation. I'll have to search to see if any one else has had this prob. I'll write Ridgid to find out why they sell a saw with out a tested manual? As far as the size of the dado, I had read that the increased mass (8") would put a heavy strain on the motor with the larger cuts. The last thing I wanted to do was overheat the motor. Your advice has put that to rest!Thanks again Jim.
              Last edited by rdowns; 10-25-2007, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Glad to help, hope you can get on with your cabinets
                Cheers! - Jim
                -------------

Comment

Re: Dado for new TS2400....... Solved!

I got a reply from Ridgid w/ some excuse that the manuals are witten for multiple table saws (generic) and that you should follow the instructions of the Dado set. I don't know if they normally come with any. (Mine, Freud did not) Any how i'll just follow the instructions written for the earlier saw as they seem to be focused on savivg money on technical writing. Good thing i love the saw. On with the cabinets! Also they said it was alright to use an 8" dado up to 13/16ths.

Comment

I've used the Frued 8" stacked dado on my TS2400 with no problems. I do take small depth cuts.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out

Post some pics of your cabinets when finished

Good luck and happy dadoing
                      Cheers! - Jim
                      -------------

Comment

Working...
                      X