X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Web site for woodworking safty

For jake and everyone eles go to [url="http://www.sawstop.com<A HREF="]web" TARGET=_blank>www.sawstop.comweb page</A>Mery christmas and happy new year.

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Andy B. ]
    Andy B.

try that with a real weenie!!!

the url is
    http://www.sawstop.com/

Comment

So Jake will Ridgid be useing the sawstop in it's products? Espasily(sp) the new produtcs?
      Andy B.

Comment

so has any one else been on the site? What did you thick of the porudct?
        Andy B.

Comment

There has been much debate about the saw stop on rec.woodworking. The concensus is that if it works as claimed it would be a great safety item. On the other hand many are concerned that it would drive the cost of a TS up. Apparently, if it is activated, there is at least the potential of causing major damage to the saw, still a small price compared to fingers.

Apparently, sawstop is having trouble getting manufacturers to buy into the product. the lawyers are all concerned that it will cause users to be even less careful, and open the manufacturers to massive liability suits if someone does manage to cut off a part of there bodies. We will all have to wait and see how the lawyers work this one out.

As far as my opinion, a friend of mines father cut 4 fingers off (twice in oone accident) with his unisaw earlier this year, and the saw stop would have saved him. If you ask me, it is worth the little extra cost to have the additional protection, you just cant assume that it will protect you from your own stupidity.

-Rob
          -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

RRitch,

You hit the nail on the head with that one. It would be great to have that device, but like you said, the fear is that some users would relax more than they should, assuming that the device is a license for Stupidity.

Regarding lawsuits and tool companies, just a single suit could very easily cost a tool company tens of thousands in un-recoverable legal fee's alone which would directly offset any profit they make from their sales.

Bubba.

Comment

A common analogy is seat belts/air bags in automobiles. I have both in my pickup, so I blithely smash it into things daily, just like everyone else does.

Right, so we know that auto drivers don't just smash into stuff for the heck of it. I don't place woodworkers as a class as being particularly dumber than car drivers (rather the opposite, actually).

For Buzz's funny comment. Dr. Steven Gass did run his own finger into a SawStop equipped machine, on purpose. I asked him if he threw up afterward, he said no, but I don't think he did any woodworking for a while either.

The concern about price in an interesting one. The seat belts and air bags add more to the price of my pickup than SawStop would to a tablesaw. I know a guy who lost a finger to a tablesaw, that was successfully reattached. As I recall, HIS PORTION of the medical bills, after insurance, was fifteen thousand dollars. Nine months rehab. Will never work as original.

Hell yes, I'd buy a SawStop equipped tablesaw.

Dave

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Arbuckle:
                A common analogy is seat belts/air bags in automobiles. I have both in my pickup, so I blithely smash it into things daily, just like everyone else does.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

No offense intended, but that's just stupid. You're talking extremes. We're talking about folks not being as careful with this device, not folks removing brains prior to operating their saws.

And yes, I'd prefer to buy a saw equiped with one as well.

Bubba.

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Bubba Blue ]

Comment

"that's just stupid"

My point exactly, the argument that people will have more accidents on SawStop equipped gear is stupid. Have automotive accident statistics risen commensurate with air bag installations?

The argument seems identical to me.

Dave

Comment

so jake will ridgid be useing the sawstop in its products?
                    Andy B.

Comment

Dave,

I am not disagreeing with you at all, and I did not mean to insinuate that woodworkers are stupid, in fact just the opposite, if you look at the work that some of these guys put out it is incredible. My point is that in todays reality of ambulance chasing lawyers, manufactureres are afraid of litigation.

And for what it is worth, if the sawstop was available, I would have it. Like I said I have a friend that ended up on the short side of an argument with his TS. I like to learn from other peoples mistakes

-Rob
                      -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

I often hear the idea that manufacturers are afraid of litigation. I'm not certain I agree. These companies are already in the business of building high-powered, very dangerous machines, that they will sell, frankly, to any idiot off the street. If they were that afraid of litigation, they would get out of the business. Some have, either concentrating on only the very high end gear (six and up figure price tags), or refocusing into different businesses altogether.

I think much more what they fear is making an investment in retooling of millions of dollars, and having the product be unpopular. That would scare the Devil out of me. For those who haven't investigated, the addition of SawStop to a tablesaw is nowhere close to simple, it is almost a complete redesign. A package of electronics is also involved, which a lot of these divisions really don't handle. As an example, although there are Emerson divisions that are way into electronics, I can't think of any ETC products that are electronic based.

I think SawStop is a great idea, and when it becomes available I will likely schedule a new saw with it installed, but I understand the manufacturer's reluctance. It is nothing like a simple decision.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X