Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw Selection

Good Day All,

I have read numerous blogs / forums / websites regarding table saw selection. I have used a older model 3650 (?number) and enjoyed it and spent months looking at ALL varieties of saws. I really enjoy the Ridgid tools I have and have settled on either the 2400ls or the 3560. I have the money for either (and the blade upgrades)... for once... I have the money to get the bigger tool . I have extremely limited shop space (1/2 of a 2 car garage). To the point...

I love the portability of both... but will the 2400ls end up disappointing me if I do larger projects such as dressers / lg bookshelves / headboards. I really don't want to waste space... but I don't want to regret not spending the extra couple bucks for the next 10 years! Is the 2400 going to provide cuts good enough to do larger projects, albeit not a lot of larger projects... most of what I do is 'small' stuff - boxes / frames / odds + ends / small shelves. Or is it always best to suck up the space complaint and go bigger... Bigger is better - right?

Thanks for the help... sorry to be such a newbie.
    Brendan

Re: Table Saw Selection

I was in the same boat, I narrowed my choices down to the 3650 or a bosch which is similar to the 2400. The portability and fold up nature is nice but in reality it would only get wheeled around my garage, not jobsites. Now that I finally have the herc-u-lift installed correctly it wheels around the garage just fine. The large cast iron surface was the biggest selling point for me. I also wanted a saw to last me a long time and the 3650 just seemed more solid to me than everything else home depot had. And even though its heavy this is one tool where weight is good.

My garage is only a one car garage and when the 3650 is not in use I just wheel it off to the side.

Comment

One big difference between the 2400 and the 3650 is that the 2400 was basically designed to be a jobsite saw while the 3650 is designed for shop use. Of course, you can use either in both applications but eventually as your useage demands increase you'll probably be happier with the 3650.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

My shop is in basement. I had help getting my 3650 in there. Was well worth it to. I didnt even think of the jobsite saw. I knew weight meant more stability.
        Now to build a worthy workbench this winter

Comment

Go with the 3650, no question about it. You want to go with the biggest saw that you can afford, it can perform all the duties of a smaller saw, but the reverse is not true and when you need those capabilities and don't have them, you're out of luck.

Comment

Brendan - None of us can tell whether or not you'll be happy with the smaller saw, but we can point out that there are substantial differences between them, and the advantages fall heavily in favor or the 3650 or any full size cast iron saw.

The 2400 should have sufficient cut quality, but you'll be giving up alot of real estate...especially in front of the blade, mass and stability, the motor on the 2400 is considerably louder, the belt drive of the 3650 has lower vibration, and the longer term reliability heavily favors the full size saw. Lots of people like the 2400 and make good furniture from it, but few would choose it over a saw like the 3650 for use in a homeshop environment unless they were very limited on space.

Perhaps a full size hybrid on a mobile base is the best solution for you.

Comment

If money is not a big issue, buy the 3650, you should be very happy with it.

They are two "big time" differnet saws designed for two different uses. For a home shop, between the two, the 3650 is the way to go.

If you are going to move it around from jobsites, they you need to think this out a little more. But for your needs, I think you would be a fool to buy the 2400. (No disrespect intended)

Regards,
              Last edited by biscuit; 10-25-2007, 09:01 PM.

Comment

When I moved here 2 years ago, I left behind my PITA saw and went shopping for a new one. Did a lot of looking and research and had it down to the 2400, Dewalt, and Bosch. Bosch looked okay, but was overpriced IMHO. The Dewalt was really in the running, but didn't come with the mobile base and the plastic was a bit flimsy on the cabinet. Both were available locally and the nearest HD is an hour drive away. Made the trip to look at the Ridgid, and it really met the bill. HOWEVER, next to it sat the 3650. With a miter saw on an MSUV, and a good circular saw, Did I really need a portable table saw?
                Bought the 3650 and have never had a moment's regret. Unless you HAVE to have a TS that you can move between job sites, get the 3650. I have built two decks, two handicapped ramps, walled in a carport, all at in-laws, and still not regretted my choice. I have also built beds for my nieces, furniture and cabinets for my home and my MILs, and done those jobs with the 3650, greatful for the day that I made the choice I did.

Guess you know my opinion: Get the 3650!

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I was really leaning toward the 3650 because of motor, space in front of blade, and ability to mount a nice router extension... but when talking to people a guy planted the idea that I would hate the space it took up and would regret not being able to fold it up and store out of the way like the 2400 (though I really like the caster set up on the 3650 compared to other caster set ups).

Now the fun part... getting it and putting it together... then the hard part - building something my wife likes so she thinks it was worth it too! I get a free pass for a while because I am building shadow boxes for my combat patches to give my two sons... I am not sure how long I can ride this wave, but I plan on enjoying it while it lasts.

Thanks again! Being a newbie I appreciate the knowledge base. I have found numerous ideas for my next project... router table insert (build / buy / modify - there are lots of ideas in this forum).

B

Comment

Further to what I said above, space is tight in my garage and thought the fold up nature of a table saw would be a nice feature. But it all comes back to how much and how far the saw will get moved. Yes the 3650 does take up more real estate but its not that much. Being a complete novice I wanted the added accuracy a large surface provides.

As far as assembly - take the time to read the manual first and then assemble. And take your time, its well worth it.

Comment

Regarding assembly of the TS-3650... Here is a *lengthy* post about assembly tips, tricks, and cautions. It's a HUGE help to read through it, PRIOR to starting your assembly. The directions with the saw are good, but aren't necessarily in the best sequence.

FYI, it's also a sticky post under Tips and Techniques.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7585

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                        Regarding assembly of the TS-3650... Here is a *lengthy* post about assembly tips, tricks, and cautions. It's a HUGE help to read through it, PRIOR to starting your assembly. The directions with the saw are good, but aren't necessarily in the best sequence.

FYI, it's also a sticky post under Tips and Techniques.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7585
                        That is sage advice and wish I did just that. Wouldnt you know I had an issue with the herc-u-lift and posted a question about it. Had I read that assembly thread I would have had it installed correctly from day 1 and not be completely fustrated with why i kept breaking bolts and not wheeling around smoothly. All is good now. This is a great forum!

Comment

Originally posted by dantheman9727
                          Can anyone recommend a garage door installation company and / or a manufacturer of modern garage doors (we would love a classic carports , but hey, that door would be worth almost as much as everything INSIDE the garage).
                          This really should be a new post that's independent of this unrelated thread.

Comment

I have a 2400 and you could not go wrong with it but as I kept doing project I realized that a bigger saw with a bigger surface would have been better. I just brought a 3650 and I very happy with it.

I would suggest that you go ahead and buy the 3650. If you can find one it would probably be cheaper than a new 2400.

Comment

After owning my 3660 for a few months now, I have to say I love it and wouldn't be able to go back to a smaller saw. I have a one car garage and space is tight but a table saw is the primary tool for woodworkers. Having the large table top and the ability to build in a router table is a MAJOR advantage over a portable version. The herculift system works great and I wouldn't have been able to manage my space without it.
                              Last edited by ronan; 06-03-2009, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X