Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New router - new table

Good day

If you expect to see the normal "Furniture" router table...it's not...actually, I used the same workmate of the old router table.

I made this router table with a few ideas that were in my "dreams", a few of them you'll see here and a few of them later.

The table base is a piece of 1¼" thick "Counter-top", 31½" x 20" covered with 5/16" "Floor panels".

Regards
    niki

Re: New router - new table

Comment

Niki,
      Your table looks very handy. Since I am planning on building a table, I wondered if you have had any new ideas after one year.

The idea of using a counter top is excellent since it is very sturdy.

Have you had any problems with expansion of the flooring with changes in temperature and humidity? I'm not certain about using wood or a harboard, "masonite", for the top.

What is the advantage of the sliding panel sled instead of a miter slot extrusion? http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...455,61994&ap=1.

Is there any preferrred distance from the bit for the sled panel?

Comment

Hey Niki,

Your router table looks great
        Power Tools at Discount Prices

Comment

Nice router!!! Enjoy

Brandon

Comment

I was just thinking of you today, Niki! Thanks for posting. That router table looks very nice. The sled idea is very well done.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thank you all so much

Sorry for my so late reply but I just got back home from more than a month in hospital...

Handidad
              No, I did not make any modifications...yet...

I didn't have any problem with expansion of the flooring but, usually I don't work during the winter (too cold in Poland) so I cannot really tell...

As for the advantage of the sliding panel, I'm not sure (yet) if there is any...you see, here in Poland, I cannot get any miter slot (T-track) so for me it's a good alternative solution...also, I think that a sled that moves on 2 rails/slots is more stable than one slot sled.
              Here you can see an example for one of the usages
              http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17845

Regards
              niki

Comment

Hope that you are feeling better and will be able to get back to woodworking.

I know what you mean about working in a garage in the winter. I am by Toronto Ontario Canada, just north of Lake Ontario and we have just had some -20 C (0 deg F) temperatures this past week.

Do you ever use the sliding panel sled or is the wheeled fence much better?

Paul

Comment

Niki,
                  I just re-examined your post and noticed that the sliding panel is actually fastened to the fence with wheels.
                  Please ignore my earlier question.

Comment

I'm glad you're back, Niki! I hope you're feeling lots better.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thank you so much Paul and VASandy

I will be able to return to all my activities but it will take some (long) "curing time".
                      I hope that by Aug~Sep I be back in the shop.

Paul
                      I would like just to make it clear...
                      There are two totally separate and independent devices on this router table.
                      1. The "Sled", that is actually one flooring panel moving along the table.
                      2. The "Rollers sled".

I can connect both of them and work with them as one unit (but usually no need).

When I made the box joints (as on the link above), I made it using only the Roller sled.

One of the benefits that I get with the "Sled" is that, I can just screw to it a fence and use it for very long routings...as you can see on the third picture (of the original post) it can go back very long way.

I would like to show you a few pictures that I took while experimenting with cutting tenons. The pics are not "cooked" yet so, if something is not clear, I'm here...

Of course all that can be done with a miter gauge in a miter slot but in my (and only my) opinion miter gauge is too narrow and can have some "play" that might be very critical for cutting tenons while with the so wide "Sled" (around 8") I don't get any side play.

Regards
                      niki
                      Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by niki; 01-21-2009, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Attachment Attachment
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Niki,
                          I had been wondering about the grooves that you routed in the sled.
                          You had a posting showing how to make the jigs for the different dia bits, but I don't think that you ever showed how to use the jigs.
                          A bit more of a discription would be helpful.

Comment

Hi Paul

I think that you mean this post that I explained how to make the "jig" (I call it - locator).
                            http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17679

I made it for a few (3) sizes of bit dia but because the 10mm (3/8") bit is very much in use, I made one specially for the 10mm.

The idea is very simple...I know that the "bit will hit" at the edge of the locator and if I'll put a stop (or locate the router table fence) at the edge of the locator, the bit will not cut nothing...

So, for example, to cut a tenon of 20mm (edge to shoulder), I can position the fence (or stop) to 20 mm from the locator...I can do it will ruler, caliper or simply put two 10mm drill bits.

I use those locators all the time for every fence and/or stops setting as you can see it also on the finger joint and the mortise cutting posts ....very fast, accurate and convenient...

Regards
                            niki

Comment

Working...
                            X