Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Desk out of a Surfboard!

My wife has gotten me into a good one!
    I'm to build a desk for my grandson using a fiberglass Surfboard as the top. She brought the surfboard home Friday with her request. It measures 66"x23"x21/2". Surfboards are not flat, so I will need to "insert" a work surface into the top of the board. I think I will use pedestal type legs with a single center drawer.
    Any ideas on this project????
    Thanks,
    Rob Johnson
    Orange,CA.
    Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Sounds like a great project. Do you know the total composition of the board? Is it solid fiberglass or just a laminate over some other material? just curious, would like to hear updates as you go.

Surf's up and
    good luck

[ 09-22-2003, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: hammerman ]

Comment

Looks like the board is made up of a very thin layer of fiberglass over a styrofoam base. Theres a thin wooden rib running the lenght of the board under the fiberglass.
      So far, I've just routered out the recess for the desk section. Hope to start real construction this weekend.
      Rob Johnson
      Orange,CA.

Comment

What are you going to cover the cutout desk section with? Wood or some other composite material? Fiberglass? You really got me hooked on this project. I think this is a great idea.

Hope you're enjoying it!

Comment

I would love to see a picture of the desk when you are done. I wouldn't even know where to begin this project short of finding a wooden surfboard.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I'm going to make a wood insert for the actual desk surface. The rest of the board will be just for the look, or I guess you could set things on it.
            I did build a bench for it already. It is a smaller Surfboard made out of 2x12 pine.
            My grandson is from Washington state, and has resently moved to California. Now he's on a Surfing kick. Everything in his bedroom is surfing related.
            Maybe I'll have to break out the old long board and show him how it's done! Bet the old wet suit won't fit anymore!
            Rob Johnson
            Orange,CA.

Comment

Gnarly dude! Post some photos so we can all "hang ten".

Will you be finishing the desk top with "Uncle Zog's wax"?

Surf's up!

Seriously, I'd like to see the results.

[ 09-25-2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Greg's Garage ]
              keep makn\' sawdust!...just don\'t breath any.

Comment

I'd like to post some pictures, but need a "host site" to store the jpeg's.
                I think I have most of this project figured out, all except the mounting of the board to the base. The firberglass is so thin it will never support any screws or bolts. Guess I'll go out and stare at it untill something comes to mind. The weekends coming so it's time to go to work!
                Rob Johnson
                Orange,CA.

Comment

If you email the pictures to me I'll post them on my site.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Dude,
                    You should be able to use some sort of epoxy to attach the top, either that or take your mechanical fasteners right through to the wood insert. Are you going to leave it at full length? Seems like odd proportions for a desk. Be careful when you pull the chair in, that tail fin can do some damage

Comment

It is a bit odd sized for a desk. I'm thinking about having the desk insert section extending out the back of the board a few inches, so it would be as if the surfboard was passing thru the desk. This would also square it to the wall, as the board is tapered at both ends.
                      I'm just trying to think of the best way to make good of a bad situation, as this is really my wife's idea. I just have to make it work!
                      Rob Johnson
                      Orange,CA.

Comment

Backyard Woodworker,

Now that you have transitioned to making the desk span the board (or making it look like the board goes through it), why not build a desk top and drawer unit 36" wide x 27" deep x 3" high, cut the corresponding width out of the board, and attach both end pieces to each side of the drawer box. If you need to stiffen the ends, drill and insert 2 pieces of 1/2" threaded pipe about 12" long into the styrofoam and attach to the ends of the drawer box with pipe flanges. These will be concealed when you butt the end of the board to the drawer unit and secure with construction adhesive that is safe for use with styrofoam.

Construct a frame and legset about 48" wide by 21" deep x 27" high for proper knee clearance.
                        Center and anchor the drawer unit on top of the frame, which leaves 6" of frame extended past each side. You can support each end of the board in a cradle or sling suspended at each end of the framework. The board will overhang the ends of the framework by 9" on each end, giving it a floating appearance.

Place a piece of clear or blue tinted glass 27" - 30" deep by 48" - 60" wide on top of the drawer box which will give you a good working desk top that you can see through to the board. Use felt or small rubber disc bumper pads to support the glass and avoid slipping. Favorite surfing photo scenes can be slipped under the glass on top of the drawer unit. The drawer unit could be stained or painted a blue tint to simulate water.

If the center cut from the board hasn't been destroyed, modify it into a bench with a height of about 17". If you have routed the center out, perhaps a padded seat can cover that detail.

Just decided I want one, too!
                        If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

Comment

Deblieux,
                          That sounds like it would work. Much easer that trying to build a desk into the board.
                          I've been stalled on this as my hours at work have shot up last week and with a 200 mile per day commute, there was no time for projects. Hopefully things will slow down this week and I can get back to work!
                          Thanks for all the good advice,
                          Rob Johnson
                          Orange,CA.

Comment

How's the desk going?

Comment

Too much going on at work to get anything done. I did have one day off last week when Ca. was on fire. Too much smoke in San Diego to work in, but just used the day to catch up on chores around the house.
                              Hope it slows down soon, need to get back to the fun stuff.
                              Rob Johnson
                              Orange,CA.

Comment

Working...
                              X