X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collection

I have just set up a small shop---I'll tell you later how small but right now I am trying to get some info on the Ridgid Dust Collector Assec.

I would like to hook up the Ridgid Belt/Spindle Sander---a 12" Delta Band Saw and a Dewalt 10" Table Saw. As all of these units have 2 1/2" nominal hook-ups I figured that this system would be adequate.

I am not sure what size Vac to buy as it depends on the overall size to fit a specific spot. I am more curious as too how well the dust collection system actually works and what is available to do a hook-up to an odd-sized port.

If anyone out there has any info I would love their imput.

In case your wondering the planer and jointer are hooked up to their separate systems.

As I said its a small shop and if I ever figure out how to attach a picture to these boards --I will.

Re: Dust Collection

Most if not all shop vacs don't move enough air to be effective as the main force for a dust collection system. So, if you're not planning on hooking your system into a real dust collector than I wouldn't setup a 2½" collection system. On the other hand, for the tools you listed, a shop vac should work OK if hooked directly to the individual tool as you use it.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I disagree somewhat.

I have a small basement workshop and use my Ridgid 12gal 6hp (or is it 6.5?) shop-vac as my only dust collection. This is, frankly, not my preferred method, but there simply isn't room for a full size DC... What I wouldn't give for a 2.5hp full size canister rig. ;-)

The shop vac, coupled with a ClearVue cyclone, mounted on a 20 gal trash can, does a superb job with most of my needs. I have only two "drops".. one of which is permanently attached to my TS-3650's port, and the other is on a 10 foot tail that I switch from machine to machine. I have blast gates on a Y-joint and that's the only control of the airflow. I bought some inexpensive remote-control outlets and there we go.

I use this system for: router table duty; band saw; dovetail jig dust collection (Rockler's version.. works quite well); drill press; spindle sander (Craftsman's), general floor / surface cleanup, and so on. The above produce chips and dust in small enough quantity that I am totally satisfied with the shop-vac solution.

My Ridgid planer and JET jointer, however, produce more than this system can handle without some manual intervention if I'm doing boards over 4 inches wide. That intervention being, that after each pass, I have to let the cyclone clear, and occasionally help out with a big clog of chips. These are the only two machines that really cause a problem for me.

Now, is the shop vac picking up 100% of the dust? No. I still have to vacuum up every now and then for loose chips and dust. And I have a small air cleaner which helps with the airborne dust. But for a compact, tight environment (and incredibly low ceilings...) I have found this works well. The Ridgid shop-vac is tucked under one of my work bench tables, and the cyclone & trash can are tucked into a corner by my drill press, so the footprint is minimal.

As an aside and a strong recommendation for the ClearVue.. I've sometimes filled my 20 gal trash can within a week or so.. and when I peek inside the shop-vac there's usually just a dusting on the bottom and the super-fine dust in the filter itself. A few taps brings most of it loose. The cyclone is channeling 95%+ the wood waste into the trash can. :-) I'm sure the large model works even better!

I've thought about getting one of those 1hp portable single-tool jobbies for my planer and jointer. Maybe this Steel City model. Anyone have experiences with these types / sizes?
      http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...y=5&tool=65115

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94029

Comment

I also purchased the clearvue cyclone after much research.

Since I have a small non commercial shop, I got the mini CV06. I made a 3/8 plywood cover for a 10 gallon galvanized garbage pail. I routed a groove in it to match the diameter of the pail and used four small bungee cords to hold the lid on. The bungees clip under the bottom rim of the pail. I mounted the cyclone onto this lid.

I also found that Shop-Vac is selling off their sawdust collection system, clear PVC tubing, fittings and blast gates for use with 2 1/2" vacuums.

www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=393

I installed the tubing along the back wall of my shop with blast gates for my TS3650 and two gates on either side of the workbench for general use. I used another blast gate on the end of the tubing to attach the 2 1/2" hose from the cyclone to the tubing.

A neighbor threw out a 24' length of pool vacuum hose. I made a couple of PVC adapters to fit my vacuums attachments and I now have a vacuum hose that reaches my entire garage. One hose end is a perfect fit into a blast gate and the other fits sanders and vacuum tools.

With a 6 gallon 5 horsepower shop-vac the system deposits about 98 % of dust and floor sweepings into the garbage can under the cyclone.

The system, as I have installed it, does a good job of trapping most of the dust and chips from my TS3650, RAS, and routers. I am currently making a vacuum adapter for my old Makita 1/4 sheet sander.

At present, I don't have a jointer or planer, so the small cyclone is adequate to my needs.
        Last edited by billmoy; 10-28-2007, 03:20 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Thanks for the imput fellas---when I said my shop was small I was not kidding and from the comments regarding the 2 1/2" pick-up I think it should work just fine. As I will only be using one drop at a time I am pretty sure most of the dust will be in the system.
          Believe it or not my original shop while it was my full time occupatian was 3700 square feet with all the bells and whistles. I retired 5 years ago and decided to sell all and play golf. Well the bug is back and I now have a new shop------80 square feet---stop laughing I am making Shaker Oval Boxes and small woodenware and as long as I don't make anything bigger than a breadbox I should be OK. Besides golf season starts for me March 1 in Arizona. As I said before if I ever learn how to attach pictures to this page I will--some of you may get a chuckle

Comment

If you plan to JUST use a shop-vac (even if you also use some sort of cyclone thing), definitely look into getting a better quality filter.

The Clean Stream series are awesome. They're very easy to clean, durable as heck, and not a bad price.

http://www.cleanstream.com/filters_wetdry.html

Comment

Hey Billmoy, just wanted to say thanks for linking that Shop-Vac clearance sale on those 2 1/2" fixtures. The tubing especially is hard to find! I ordered two sets and plan to *finally* setup my whole shop with proper dust collection drops and what-not, instead of dragging my one loose hose from machine to machine. I foresee a permanent connection to the 3650 shroud, a short, permanent drop to the drill press.. another permanent drop to the workbench... and I was thinking of building a ceiling-suspended over-blade thing...My ceiling is only 40" or so above my table saw top. :-(

A new question:
              - Has anyone ever setup or considered "turbo-charging" your shop-vac system? I have a Ridgid 12 gal that's my primary vacuum. But I also have a 12 gal Craftsman that sees very little use. I was thinking of using a Y-connector to link the two vacuum on the *suction side* of the cyclone. This seems, intuitively, like it would double the CFM (or thereabouts... the 2 1/2" diameter is really the limiting factor, right?) and increase the static pressue significantly, giving the collection side of the cyclone more suction. While I don't see this solving my problems with the planer and jointer, which send huge masses of chips, I see it as being possibly more effective at grabbing the stray dust when I'm sanding, routing, etc.
              Any thoughts or experience??

Comment

I bought 2 of these from HD.
                http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

Works really well in my small shop.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Buy the strongest vac you can fit/afford. No harm done by having a little extra air flow. Adding a second stage collection bucket will increase the chip capacity, which is typically the weak link on a shop vac. The filters tend to plug up easily too...you can fit an old stocking over the filter for easier cleanout.
                  Last edited by hewood; 10-30-2007, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Wood Junkie

You can run them with the Y fitting as long as both have similar suction. What you don't want is for one to over power then other and suck air in reverse. I really doubt that will be a problem however. Some commercial vacuum cleaners use 2 motor-fan assemblies and run them together for increased air flow. They do use matched ones. Give it a try and I bet it works. What you do not want to do is to series connect two vacuum cleaners where the exhaust from one feeds into the inlet of the other. That's asking for trouble.

Please see model #78 which uses 2 motor-fan for greater performance - http://www.doylevac.com/portableprodc.html
                    Last edited by Woussko; 10-30-2007, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Hey fellas--can't believe all the posts. I must tell you guys this.
                      I went to Home Depot and purchased the dust collection system--at first I was a little skepical but I can't believe how well it works. Originally I was just going to have two drops plus one terminal drop but have also added one more for my 6" jointer. The instructions say not to glue the joints so I used duct tape to cut down on leakage--I also changed the hose to a better quality Central vac hose-2" inside dia. I found that the supplied hose was too flimsy.
                      Now the real kicker to this is the fact that I am not using a Rigid Shop Vac--I did buy the 9 Gal/5.5 HP unit unit but returned it. What I am using is a 30 year old Electrolux--stainless steel 9 gal Wet/Dry Industrial 6Amp Vaccum with a 2" inlet.
                      I finished the installation this afternoon and after working for an hour or so just trying out everything I can't believe how well it works---absolutely no sawdust anywhere
                      In Canada the kit cost me 69.00 plus 22.50 for the upgraded hose---so in all for under 100.00 I have a complete system that works better than the huge Murphy system I had in my original shop--mind you the volume is not the same. By the way the system is set up in a U with 23 feet run plus the drop lengths. Oh yes instead of using the supplied elbows I substituted the 2" hose to make long radius 90 degree corners--less resistance.
                      Again thanks for the comments and you guys with extra small shops give it a try--you will be pleasantly surprised

Comment

Any of you guys know of a remote switch that I can get to power up my Vac when I power up a tool? I am a contractor, and I setup my Ridgid Vac to my TS2400, MS1290LZ and other tools on site to cut down on my clean up time, but it is a pain the @ss to have to run over and turn on the vac, then the saw, or router etc. and then turn it all off. I wanted to be able to turn on the table saw, or the router, or whatever ans just have the vac power up when needed.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
                          I also found that Shop-Vac is selling off their sawdust collection system, clear PVC tubing, fittings and blast gates for use with 2 1/2" vacuums.

www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=393

I installed the tubing along the back wall of my shop with blast gates for my TS3650 and two gates on either side of the workbench for general use. I used another blast gate on the end of the tubing to attach the 2 1/2" hose from the cyclone to the tubing.
                          Billmoy, thanks for this link. I purchased two sets and set up my workshop last night. I was previously using a 2.5" Y-joint with two blast gates. One to the table saw shroud, and the other to a loose tail that I moved all over my shop. I'm finally sick of tripping over things and constantly crawling under my table saw wing to flip the blast gates... Plus the gates were always getting clogged with sawdust and wouldn't close all the way!

So I ran a straight length of hose from the cyclone to a T-joint from this Shop Vac set. One feed goes up to the ceiling and turns to run along my ceiling (which is very low...) with three drops. One at my drill press, and one at each corner of my main workbench. I took another T-joint to split off and run a line directly over my table saw. I have a drop right above the blade guard which I can now use to service the table-top, attached a detail type tool to the blade guard opening, and attach to my router table fence dust shroud.

I have 2 loose hose sections which I will attach to the drops. A four foot section for bench / tool cleanup, and a 10 foot section for floor / shop cleanup. I haven't tried this latter, but I'm hoping the suction is up to snuff for floor vacuuming.

I have the second part of the main T-joint running to the table saw shroud. At first I was perturbed that the Shop Vac kit was 2" OUTSIDE diameter pipes, but the suction seems satisfactory for what it'll be used for.

With regards to my jointer and planer issues... I decided that I was never going to get really great results from a shop vac system with those two tools. I recently jointed and planed some 6" wide walnut, and I had to stop after every pass to help clear the cyclone. Also, the jointer was just getting backed up and the dust chute was jamming....

So I bought a portable dust collection unit from Harbor Frieght (my first purchase from there...) It has a 4" pickup and produces somewhere around 600-700 cfm with a 13 gallon bag. I was concerned because the bag is only good to 13 microns, but the waste from a jointer and planer is pretty large. I definitely would NOT use this thing for sanding dust. This portable jobbie was on sale for $99 and fits quite nicely under my TS wing, next to my cyclone trash can. $25 for a 10' section of 4" hose plus some clamps brought the whole price up to about $135 and now I have those two machines properly serviced.

YankeeConCo, you might want to consider these: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=0843&cpc=SCH

They're a LOT cheaper than the tool-actuated outlet controls. And it gives you great flexibility to use for other things. E.g. hook one up to your vacuum, another to worklights, or a compressor or whatever. I've been using this exact set for a year and love 'em.
                          NOTE, the specs on that item say they can take a 10 Amp load. I haven't checked the load on my Ridgid 12gal vac, but it works fine.

If you like this idea but need more, they also sell a three-outlet set:
                          http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=1275&cpc=SCH

Personal note: This remote socket thing is fairly large. It blocks the other outlet on a standard wall socket. However, you *can* put a three-outlet adapter into this and turn on a set of things all at once. :-) Or you can put this onto a three-outlet adapter...

I think a big lesson I'm taking away from my whole experience setting up, adding on to, reorganizing, and now adding onto again is.... I should've just bought the $400 2hp dust collection system to start with and I'd have been done with it, for essentially the same total cost. Unfortunately, space (and height) is the main issue there.
                          Last edited by Wood_Junkie; 11-04-2007, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeConCo View Post
                            Any of you guys know of a remote switch that I can get to power up my Vac when I power up a tool? I am a contractor, and I setup my Ridgid Vac to my TS2400, MS1290LZ and other tools on site to cut down on my clean up time, but it is a pain the @ss to have to run over and turn on the vac, then the saw, or router etc. and then turn it all off. I wanted to be able to turn on the table saw, or the router, or whatever ans just have the vac power up when needed.

Thanks for any help.
                            Instead of remotes--why don't you just set up one plug only for the dust collector and use 2 3/way switches in different parts of the shop. I used that in my previous shop and it worked quite well and I am pretty sure its a lot cheaper than remotes.

Comment

Here is a good remote switch:
                              http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10740&sid=AFB81
                              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X