Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

routers

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • routers

    looking to purchase a new router, any thoughts on the freud model ft2200e 3and one quarter hp plunge, i will be using on a table mount only. this router will not be a work horse for i will only use as a hobby type router (limited styles and rails and a limited raised panel doors) also edge trimming various detail bits

  • #2
    Re: routers

    I have used this router in a table many times. It does a fantastic job, and only needs one wrench for bit changes. It think it has two collets as well (1/2 " and 1/4 "), but im not 100% sure.

    It is a bit difficult to change the bits out of this router while mounted in a table - that would be my only concern with this unit. The price is also good - its about 299.00 here in canada at the local HD.

    I did, however, have a negative expereince with freud tools before. I purchases one of their routers (FT1700VCE), and had the base snap in two during normal operation - i was lucky i wasn't injured. After returning it wihout hassle, the second FT1700 VCE had cross threaded machine screws and could not be mounted in a table. I gave up and bought a Dewalt router after returning the second Freud.

    Hope this helps!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: routers

      For a table mounted router a fixed base would be more convenient to adjust than a plunge base.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: routers

        You say only table mounted now... but later? I'd recommend a more flexible arrangement with a multi base set. I have the DeWalt 618 with fixed, plunge and D-handle bases and absolutely love it. So far I haven't met a bit it couldn't handle. I use it 80% in my table. The other 20% is dovetail work, edge routing, rabbet and dados in frames / panels, etc.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: routers

          Originally posted by blackiem1 View Post
          looking to purchase a new router, any thoughts on the freud model ft2200e 3and one quarter hp plunge, i will be using on a table mount only. this router will not be a work horse for i will only use as a hobby type router (limited styles and rails and a limited raised panel doors) also edge trimming various detail bits
          I've got one of these and I love it. Variable speed, soft start and tons of power. Mine is mounted in a table also. Even though you say it will not be used as a work horse it is most definately up to the task. Panel raising, rail and style etc. etc. all day long. The depth adjustment is very precise on this router, easy to get at too. Like Franklin said it has a shaft lock so you only need one wrench for bit changes. (It only takes a second to pop the router plate out of the table with the router attached to do whatever bit changes you require.) The next model up FT3000 has the ability to be raised by a hex handle through the plate like a "Router Raiser" etc. but I really don't mind reaching under and turning the easy to get at knob.

          This router is on sale @ Woodcraft right now till Oct.31/07 for $129.99 plus free shipping. I would jump on it in a heart beat if I didn't already own one... My next router purchase will most likely be a Bosch colt to complement my router table setup.




          Dear Woodworker,

          Don't miss out on this unbelievable opportunity to save over $100 on Freud's Variable Speed, 3-1/4 HP Plunge Router for $129.99 and get free ground shipping on your order! Buy online now or check with your local Woodcraft store. Supplies are very limited! Click here to get yours before they are all gone.

          *Take advantage of our free ground shipping offer by clicking on any link in this email and purchase $100
          or more in merchandise. Offer vaild through 10/29/07 and is available to one of the contiguous 48 states.
          Excess weight charges are excluded from this offer.

          Prices and promotions mentioned in this email are valid through October 31, 2007 at all participating
          Woodcraft locations unless otherwise noted. Some items may not be available at all Woodcraft locations.
          Cheers! - Jim
          -------------
          All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: routers

            Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
            You say only table mounted now... but later? I'd recommend a more flexible arrangement with a multi base set. I have the DeWalt 618 with fixed, plunge and D-handle bases and absolutely love it. So far I haven't met a bit it couldn't handle. I use it 80% in my table. The other 20% is dovetail work, edge routing, rabbet and dados in frames / panels, etc.
            I've got a DW625 and it's the same way, but it lives forever in my router table and I have other routers for hand work. A big 3+ hp router really is too big for most hand work anyhow, that's why most people get a big one, put it in a table and leave it there.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: routers

              I had the very similar FT2000E in a router table for 4 years. It's a strong router for table use, but the throat opening is smaller than the largest bits which makes you do some work arounds for raised panels and such. Otherwise it was a good performer, but is cumbersome as a hand router.

              Note that the FT2200 does not have any above table features to speak of, so if you might want to consider the smaller FT1700 or the larger FT3000, which are both loaded with above table features.

              Comment

              Working...
              X