Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feather board....rollers

Good day

Instead of making the traditional feather board I made it with rollers that have wide span and are holding the board very firmly pressed to the fence and pressed down to the table before entering the blade.

Very easy to push the board and feels very safe...only one hand pushing and 10" from the blade, I change to push shoe.

Regards
    niki

Re: Feather board....rollers

I like that set-up. As I was looking through the pics I saw the little wingnuts and was going to recommend something bigger....But, as I got the the bottom, I saw that you already thought of it.

Comment

Hmmm. Do your rollers turn freely in either direction? Seems like an advantage a feather board has for most of us is that it's tougher to push the work the wrong way so it doesn't get pushed back at the operator. Probably not so big an issue with your saw with its riving knife, but for my 3650 I think I'm going to stick with feather boards.

Comment

Thank you

LONGHAIR
        As you could see, I took the pictures when the unit was still a "prototype"
        On one of the pics you can see that it's held to the rail only with a clamp.

Jkl
        The European safety regulations are a little bit different (and strict) that the US ones.
        The splitter (spreader) was dropped here at the 60th and the riving knife took its place.

The advantage of riving knife is that, it's very close (~1/8") to the blade, moves up/down and tilts with the blade, it sits some 1/8" below the blade so, it never "gets in the way" (I use the riving knife even with the sled) and as a by-product, it's very easy to install/remove the blade guard...but otherwise (or kickback wise) it has the same effect as a splitter.

But, the riving knife is only one part of the "anti-kickback system" according to the safety regulations. The other part is the "short rip fence", meaning, the rip fence extends only to 1"~2" beyond the blade front teeth as you can see on the illustration below.

When the board being cut, passes the front teeth of the blade, if there are some internal stresses, they will be "released" and the board might bent out into the fence but, because the fence is "stronger", the board is pushed into the rising back teeth of the blade and...missile...

By using short fence, the board will bend out but, if there is no fence to push against, nothing will happen...that's the reason that Anti-kickback pawls are not mandatory in EU.

I think that if you use your splitter together with a short fence you can prevent the kickback exactly the same as the riving knife does (you can make an add-on short fence that will clamp on the existing long fence).

I heard (read) that the "riving knife law" crossed the pond and all the future US, new saws, must have riving knife but, I'm not sure how it will help to prevent kickback without the "short fence"

Saying that, as you can see on the pics, I'm also not a "saint" and I'm using home-made long fence (the TS comes only with short fence and we don't have any "after-market" long fences because they are illegal).

About the "Push-back", you are correct, the wheels are free rotate to any direction but, as you noticed, I like to use "high blade"...instead of me telling you stories, please have a look at this site to see it with illustrations
        http://home.att.net/~waterfront-wood...w/tablesaw.htm

Regards
        niki

Click image for larger version

Name:	0624373e3377f3f485064558ac91efcc.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	2103

Comment

It is nice to see the market and the regulations in the US catch on to the value of a riving knife -- having recently switched to a TS3650 from a Ryobi BT3000 (to get greater capacity and reliability), I feel kinda naked when I have to rip without a riving knife.

Niki, on your saw and for the way you're using your rollers, I agree with your reasoning and can see their value. Your ingenuity is appealing and apparent from this and your other posts, so I felt it appropriate to offer my one caution, more for others than for you. For users of typical "last generation" US saws, I think feather boards are safer.

It would be a marked improvement over normal US practice, but I'm not sure I agree with you that a splitter and a short fence together would give you the same level of safety that a riving knife does. Unless you're willing to crank the blade real high, there's likely to be a large gap between the splitter and the rising teeth that leaves you vulnerable. I do like the fact that Lee Styron's Shark Guard comes with three splitters of different heights and lengths, doing quite a bit to keep that gap closed if you're willing to take the minute or so to change out your splitter if you change blade height significantly.

Comment

niki does seem to have alot to offer and it is nice to see how things are done on the other side of the world,even if he does have pink tape measures..... lol

welcome to the group
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Thank you Jkl

I will not argue with you about the splitter/short fence combination because I never worked with splitter but, it looks to me that the short fence itself will give higher degree of anti-kickback protection and if you did not get the kickback till the board reaches the splitter, the splitter will add more protection.

I said before that I'm not sure how much the kickback will be prevented by using only a riving knife. The reason that I have doubts is;
              Just imagine that you have 4" wide board and you are setting the fence to cut 3" and lets say that this is one of those boards that has internal stresses that are going to be released.

You start the cut and reach the riving knife but, the internal stresses are pushing the 3" piece into the blade...the riving knife is not something rigid and so strong that it cannot move, not only but the 1" side that is left of the blade is free to move...in my opinion, the 3" piece will push the riving knife and the blade will catch the board and kick it...of course you don't have to agree with me, it's only my opinion and maybe I'm wrong...

About the blade height, there are two main groups;
              One group, and it's the majority, claims, "low blade" for safety...I could not understand from anyone of this group, which safety exactly they are talking about because nobody replied to my question...so, I assume that they belong to the "no blade guard" group or, they are from the "fingers 1/8" from the blade" or, both...

The other group (the minority that includes me) claims, "High blade" for better cut quality, faster feeding and cooler blade (too high temperatures can cause blade deformation).

Normally, I work with the blade guard installed...IMO the blade guard should be installed not only for the time that you are actually cutting...many accidents happened after the cutting was finished and the operator just moved his hand over the naked spinning blade for other reason and it happened even at the "run down" of the blade before it stopped (the EU regulation states "the blade must come to full stop within 10 seconds" and my TS does it...and from the next year, all the rotating machines like planer RAS etc. must obey this law).

Wow, sorry for the so long reply

Regards
              niki

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                even if he does have pink tape measures..... lol

welcome to the group
                Thank you Oldslowchevy

You "booked me"...but I waiting to "book" you

Best Regards
                niki

Comment

Originally posted by niki View Post
                  Thank you Oldslowchevy

You "booked me"...but I waiting to "book" you

Best Regards
                  niki

lol just read some of my past posts i am sure you find more than enough there to tag me with,lets see i can't spell i am sarcastic, i'm short fat and bald not to mention toothless, and i like old chevys, so you see not much bothers me. lol
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                    and i like old chevys
                    Ok, now I have something to laugh on you....You old shevy lover ...actually, they are very nice as I remember.

That reminds me one of the "Trinity" movies..
                    One guy told them in the bar "And your mother is a old hore"...."did you here what he said about our mother...that she is old"... .and the "party" started...

Regards
                    niki

Comment

Working...
                    X