Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS1060 LZ out of square when bevelling

Hello all--

I just noticed a frustrating problm on my MS1060LZ compound miter saw yesterday. It is 6 months old and never used until yesterday. I squared everything up and made a couple of test cuts. I was getting perfectly square 90 degree cuts, then adjusted for perfect 45 degree bevels and noticed that, although I was getting perfect 45 degree cuts, they were no longer being cut square to the fence. I tilted the saw back to 90 degrees and cut again. I got a perfectly square cut. Something on my saw seems to be messed up so that tilting the blade causes it to go out of square. Does anyone have any advice? Am I missing something?

Thanks all.

C

Your problem sounds very similiar to one I experience on my 10" Craftsman POS CMS. What happens with my saw is that if I'm cutting a beveled miter and am not extremely careful about how I lower the blade, the table will flex and throw the cut off. The blade must be lowered at the angle the saw is set at, any vertical downward pressure will cause the flexing. I have been able to duplicate this table flex on display models of 10" Ridgid and 10" Ryobi CMS's. You can draw your own conclusions as to why these three saws seem to have the same problem.

EDIT: [img]redface.gif[/img] In my initial response I stated that the fence would flex but it's the table that actually flexes. Sorry for any confusion.

[ 08-17-2004, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks, Dave.

I went back to Home Depot yesterday and looked at the model they had on the floor. I tilted the blade to 45 degrees and slowly brought it down and inspected the blade gap where it goes through the throat plate. Sure enough, I could see that there was a noticable diffrence in gap between the blade and the slot cut in the throat plate (when the balde is at 90 degrees) at the front versus the rear of the plate. This indicates to me that the problem does not lie in my saw alone.

I spoke with the Tool Center manager and explained the problem. He asked how old the saw was and I told him that it was purchased in December but only really used this past weekend. He said to just bring it back. I explained that I had since thrown the box away and that it was likely that my receipt was gone as well. He said "No problem."

I brought it back for full credit and walked out with a 12" sliding CMS. It was between Ridgid and Dewalt. The Ridgid was $50 cheaper (not really that big a deal to me), and had a more powerful motor, larger cutting capacity, much larger table, smoother action, and included a work clamp-down. Man, they make these things enticing. I hope I made the right decision. I've had no problems with my TS3650 or my Ridgid circular saw, so I'm hoping the CMS issue was a fluke. In either case, hooray for Home Depot's customer service in this instance!

[ 08-17-2004, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: HotDiggity ]

Comment

HotDiggity,

Glad to hear that everything worked out to your satisfaction. Sounds to me like you have a pretty good HD also.

I agree with you that the problem with your 10" CMS was not a fluke. IMHO, I think there is a basic design flaw with these saws. That is not true with the 12" Ridgid slider though. Size wise it's a beast, a good thing if you don't plan to haul it from job to job, and I really can't recall hearing anything negative when it comes to performance.

Dave
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
        X