Deep hole saw needed for bamboo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep hole saw needed for bamboo

I'm looking for a 4-5" in diameter hole saw for cutting bamboo. The problem with the usual ones is they are not deep enough, so require turning the bamboo to cut the other side. I need one about 5-6" deep. Does rigid make?

Re: Deep hole saw needed for bamboo

There are 4" saw tooth forstner bits that would cut a 6" deep hole

Comment

The Forstner will work, and you can probably get a drill extension to fit it if it isn't long enough. A regular hole saw will fill up and you will have to remove it to clean the plug out every 1 1/2 or so. For a deep hole like that, I would recommend pulling the bit back out frequently to clear the chips (if using the Forstner). Otherwise the chips pack up behind the bit which can have two results:
      First, you will not be able to pull the bit back out of the hole. If this happens, you can clear the chips with a vacuum (and maybe the help of a screwdriver, etc to stir the chips up so the vac will remove them). If you do make it all the way through, you can unchuck the bit from the drill and then clean the hole.
      Second: The chips that get behind the bit will also trap all the heat from the friction of cutting. Not only can this ruin the bit, but is also a real pain to get to to put out the fire (smoldering wood) when you can't pull out the bit due to reasons #1.

DAMHIKT

Go

PS: CAUTION: If it is burning, please don't use the vacuum until after you have doused the hole with water. The burning embers coupled with the vacuums air flow can give you a real surprise inside that sawdust filled vacuum canister. The fire can linger for quite a while before it breaks out, maybe after you have left the work site.
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I would think thaat it is preferable to drill from both sides anyway to minimize chip-out. Holesaws aren't known for the greatest exit holes. A rounded surface may help a little because the bit doesn't come through all at once, but it will still chip-out to some degree.

Comment

Working...
        X