X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero Clearance Insert

I just ordered the ZCI for the TS-3650 and only afterwards did I notice that it was suffixed with "3/8". I use TK blades almost exclusively; this should not be a problem, should it?

Thanks!

Not quite sure what you mean by "suffixed with "3/8"" but if you ordered a blank(uncut) insert you'll be OK if whoever you ordered from claims that the insert is for a 3650.

[ 03-14-2005, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: badgerdave ]
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerdave:
      Not quite sure what you mean by "suffixed with "3/8"" but if you ordered a blank(uncut) insert you'll be OK if whoever you ordered from claims that the insert is for a 3650.
      Thanks. I ordered it from OrderTree.Com, which means I should see it in about nine months. By "suffixed" I meant that the description was something to the effect of:

AC-1045, Zero Clearance Insert, 3/8"

Comment

I believe the 3/8 refers to the thickness of the insert.

you are probably correct that you will be old and grey before OrderTree gets you your insert.

The Might-T-Track inserts are very nice, fit the TS3650 exactly, have leveling screws, a lock pin in the back, and are only about $12 each. I ordered 3 last fall and they arrived on 5 days. Do a search and you find find others opinions on them. I have no connection other than a happy customer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.:
          I believe the 3/8 refers to the thickness of the insert.

you are probably correct that you will be old and grey before OrderTree gets you your insert.

The Might-T-Track inserts are very nice, fit the TS3650 exactly, have leveling screws, a lock pin in the back, and are only about $12 each. I ordered 3 last fall and they arrived on 5 days. Do a search and you find find others opinions on them. I have no connection other than a happy customer.
          I'll give them a look; I can always cancel with OrderTree. Thanks for the heads-up!

Comment

Another option for 3650 ZCI

http://www.forrestblades.com/zeroclearnce.htm

Comment

The flimsey ZCI ridgid and forrest make (cheap plastic) are a joke. they run about 12 bucks i believe?

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...rance%20insert

If this link does not take you to it go to www.rockler.com and search for item number 69163

They fit the ts3612 PERFECTLY, and work great! If they only came in orange;(
              \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

spacebluesonoma,

I have ordered and used many of the plastic type ZCI from Might-T-Track (identical to the ones sold at forrest) and IMHO they work great on my TS3650. Solid, no flex, sturdy. I am no expert, but I think they are great bang for the buck.

Haven't tried the ones from Rockler yet. Guess it's time for me to get a couple.

Swede

Comment

Originally posted by swede:
                  spacebluesonoma,

I have ordered and used many of the plastic type ZCI from Might-T-Track (identical to the ones sold at forrest) and IMHO they work great on my TS3650. Solid, no flex, sturdy. I am no expert, but I think they are great bang for the buck.

Haven't tried the ones from Rockler yet. Guess it's time for me to get a couple.
                  Swede
                  I've looked at all of those in their Stores, and the problem is that they don't have that back tab to secure the Insert in the rear. IMHO, at some point you're going to have that ZCI coming at you at ~100MPH. I'd use great caution...

[ 03-15-2005, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: LGLDSR73 ]

Comment

spacebluesonoma,

You say your ZCI insert is for the 3612, have you experience with using the inserts with the 3650 and which one did you use, the Craftsman, Jet/Powermatic or the Delta?

Jerry
                    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

I may be mistaken but I don't believe that the insert Rockler sells will fit the 3650. When the 3650 was introduced to replace the 3612, one of the differences between the two was a change in the dimensions of the throat plate insert on the 3650.
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

LGLDSR73,

Not sure which ZCI's your are referring to, but the ones that I have ordered through Might-T-Track have a metal tab that seats the rear in place, it is very secure on my TS3650. Again, not sure if you were talking about the ZCI's from Rockler or from Forrest and Might-T-Track.

Swede

Comment

The ones I bought do in fact have a pin to secure it! Maybe you picked up a bad one missing a pin? I have 2, actually one that has been used and one that will likely turn into a DADO insert.

My concern was the missing screw hole, which i posted on this very forum and was told not to worry about it. Again the ones I bought did indeed have a pin. If you get one that doesn't it is just a standard tension pin. nothing a small drill bit and a tack hammer can't fix
                          \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Does anyone have a reply for Badgerdave? I am in need of a new insert for Dado Cutting... It would be nice if someone in town carried these things but it looks like ordering is going to be the only way to go.

Comment

You mean regarding the size?
                              The 3612 inserts are thinner. Newer versions for the 3650 are 3/8 thick, but width and length are the same as 3612. Sounds like the Rockler version has a pin at the back that can likely be removed.

I wouldn't be overly concerned if the inserts don't have a slotted hold at the front for the screw. This is a Canadian Standards Association requirement, intended to keep the plate from accidentally lifting. I don't disagree with the logic, but in practice it's unnecessary. In fact, if you over-tighten this screw, the back of the plate lifts up above the table surface. So instead of preventing a very unlikely dangerous situation, you actually can create one. I imagine most folks just remove the screw as it just gets in your way.

Comment

Working...
                              X