X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOODWORKING CLAMPS

Anybody have some ideas about storing woodworking clamps. I'm thinking about some sort of jig that would be attached to the wall. But I know as soon as I nail a 2x4 or something similar to the wall to hold these in place, I'll run across some articles that shows someone had a better idea.

Like most of us I have accumulated a fair number of various size clamps from 12" to 48" and a few pipe type that extend 10 feet.

Appreciate your help in helping me avoid reinventing the wheel.

Jerry

The ole 2x4 on the wall works great for me. I've seen pictures of some pretty elaborate clamp racks but they take up a lot of space. If space is a concern, it is with me, then you can't get much more space efficient than a 2x4.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

2x4 on the wall? better wear a hard hat in the shop----too many times I've had one fall off while I was getting another.

If you have the space----about a 24x28" footprint, why not build Norm's clamp cart. It works great and if you watch the episode, you don't need the plans.
      Dave

Comment

for pipe clamps, i saw a great design that is just a channel attached to the wall and you slid the screws into it.
        Dave - where do you get old versions of TNYWS?
        Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Comment

Mick---just watch HGTV and local PBS----have video recorder---will copy.
          Dave

Comment

Woodsmith No.137 (October/November 2001). there is a real good article in there for clamp storage.
            http://www.woodsmith.com/main/ws137toc.html

I have a good set of plans here at the house somewhere also. If I can find them I will post them for you.

Jeff
            Jeff

Comment

Here is another nice setup if you have the space.

http://woodstore.woodmall.com/fivgreatclam.html

Jeff
              Jeff

Comment

In about all woodworking magazines, they have a design in about every issue. The 2x4 with dowel rods or threaded rod works great. There was also a nice one in the Shopnotes a few months back.

My favorite and the one the one that I built is Norm's version. The one I made stands about 6 foot high and will hold almost all my clamps (~30 K-bodies and Cabinet Masters and numerous other F clamps) Many should have it on tape, or the plans are available through the NYW

Comment

Here is an idea for a swinging unit & here are a few more ideas.

Comment

JJC,

I really like that idea of the swinging clamp rack, may just have to borrow that one.

It's often said that you can't have too many clamps. [img]smile.gif[/img] Well, I think that Mr. Tim Albers at The Sawdust Mill may just be close to the point of having just enough.

Dave

[ 08-13-2004, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
                    X