So now what??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So now what??

To do with this burl? The side pictured will be the top. I've got it sanded to 200 grit. It's going to be a hall table. The legs will be either maple or oak, tradesman style (octaganol, thin).

The questions are:
    -Should I chop off the bark end? By this I mean that end with the huge "tail" of bark. In one sense, it looks kinda cool. It'd probably end up getting bumped and mangled though. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome!
    -What finish? To preserve the bark I know I'll keep around the front, I'm thinking either decoupage (the thick stuff that makes like a clear, thick plastic "cover") or polyurethane. I'd prefer not to stain it, but I'm open to ideas. I'd like something that'll bring out the tremendous graining in the piece. I also want to keep most of the bark on the front. Again, any ideas are welcome.
    Attached Files
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Re: So now what??

Originally posted by Lisa_PA
    My thoughts are to sleep on it and then follow your little voices in your head. You'll get it right if you give yourself time to think.

I ended up on the evening news one night following that advice, wasn't pretty.

Nice Farmall BTW, I'm looking for websites where people refurbish them from years ago. I'm in a once-was farming community..the neighbor across the street still uses his with a belly-mower every summer.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Sandy, just ship that thing to me and i'll figure it out for you. If your going to keep any bark, keep it all. It would not look right to cut off one end like that. I would seal up the bond between the wood and bark with CA to keep from losing it during normal handling. Spray poly (water based)for a finsh to really show the colors and grain. Dunbar, go ahead and debark the Farmall!!!!
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
        To do with this burl? The side pictured will be the top. I've got it sanded to 200 grit. It's going to be a hall table. The legs will be either maple or oak, tradesman style (octaganol, thin).

The questions are:
        -Should I chop off the bark end? By this I mean that end with the huge "tail" of bark. In one sense, it looks kinda cool. It'd probably end up getting bumped and mangled though. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome!
        -What finish? To preserve the bark I know I'll keep around the front, I'm thinking either decoupage (the thick stuff that makes like a clear, thick plastic "cover") or polyurethane. I'd prefer not to stain it, but I'm open to ideas. I'd like something that'll bring out the tremendous graining in the piece. I also want to keep most of the bark on the front. Again, any ideas are welcome.
        The tail is kinda of cool, but sometimes with bark left on a project, it can come back to haunt you. Infestation of tiny bugs, so if you stay with the bark, you should treat your project. About 4 to 6 coats of glossy polyurethane would look good on that piece.

Now as far as your legs go, if you we're to stay with the bark, then find some diamond willow for the legs. That would look awesome. I don't know if your area has diamond willow or not.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I've checked and rechecked the piece, and there's no critters. I've had it for a little over a year now, and it's good and dry and exhibits no signs of life!

I'll get a bunch of CA glue and seal the bark. Any recommendations on a spray poly? I think I'd like to try that this time.

I'll look around to see if anyone has any diamond willow, but I don't think it's something found around here. I think I know the species you're thinking of, and you're right, that'd make awesome legs!

Thanks for the suggestion, Lisa. I've slept and studied on this piece now for about a month. I figured the answer wasn't coming to me. At least, I wasn't ready to trust my instincts on it. Now that what I wanted to do has been verified and a way to do it has been identified, I can get on with doing it.

Thanks for all the suggestions! You all have helped me in so many ways. I just hope that some day I'll be able to respond in kind.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

If you were here in Norway, I'd say "come over and let me make the legs in
            42mm stainless pipe, mat finish. " Nice stainless work usually looks terrific next to wood with character. However, the willow sounds beautifull, if you can get it, and the stainless might be a bit too "Bang & Olufsen"

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

Nice Farmall BTW, I'm looking for websites where people refurbish them from years ago.
              Here is a good place to start: http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/

Regards,

Comment

Working...
              X