X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My next bit of safty kit = bullet proof vest

I was cutting splines for cutting boards. I needed about 60 in all and was cutting them from 3/4 oak at about 1/8 inch thick. I had cut loads of these before and had to remove the saftly guard to run them through with the push block. I had never had any problems thus far. Then suddenly, just as I was about 2/3 the way thru the cut a spline shot back. It shot back so fast that I didn't even see it fly back, let alone where it went. I loked on the floor, but didn't see it, so I carried on cutting. My wife popped her nose in about 15 mins later and I looked back. There was the spine, sticking thru the cupboard door at the back of the garage (about 15 feet from the TS). I had on all the normal saftly gear, but just a T-shirt (its still 93 degrees here in AZ). I think I'll invest in a leather apron!! Take a look at the pics. It actually gained altitude.
    Attached Files

Re: My next bit of safty kit = bullet proof vest

kick backs often reach speed of 80 mph or more, scary stuff and glad you are ok. if this was only 15 feet away can you imagain what would of happened if it would have hit you??? omg
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Re: My next bit of safety kit = bullet proof vest

I have a hole in my old garage door, (1/4 Masonite type product) from a kick back, jsut about the same kind of thing.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I've had 2 kick backs. One was a large piece that bounced off my belly, had a mellon sized bruise for a few weeks. Next was a small piece I never found. It put a hole through the curtain on the garage door and I replaced the broken glass that it left through. I have learned to be a lot more careful!
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

What is the primary cause of a kickback....just a binding peice of wood against the blade?

I hope I'm not jinxing myself??!??!

Comment

My first day of 8th grade woodshop class the teacher gave a safety speech on saw kickback.

He pointed to a metal cabinet behind the saw about 15 feet away that had about 6 or 7 pretty deep dents in it.

"Those dents are from kickbacks but there's one dent that's missing"

He opens his shirt to show a bare chest and a 10" scar across his belly

I received a failing grade in woodshop for not completing a single project that semester.

Comment

PC

Don't feel bad about not passing. When I took wood shop in HS rather than Jr, H we had to watch 16mm movies about safety. The one with the guy cutting his arm off with a large table saw really made people sick. Some vomited and hard. I didn't but I kept over in the corner of the shop that day and just did some hand sanding. The funny one (we could tell it was faked) was the movie about not picking up a hammer when you're angry. It reminded me of The Three Stooges from TV.

Comment

Woussko,

I remember those 'scare tactic' movies too, like the ones we saw in driver education.

Like showing us dead teenagers sprawled out on the roadside pavement was going to somehow make me a better driver

Comment

Ok, I'm lost here? How did what appears to be one of the cut spline pieces kick back? If you were only 2/3 of the way through the board....nothing was cut-off to be spit out? Where did this projectile come from?

None the less, this is why I cut so the small piece is away from the fence, instead of being trapped by it. It just takes a simple small jig to make repetitive cuts from the other side of the blade.

Comment

i remember in jr. high. only the teacher was allowed to use the table saw. as we all watched him rip wood to make a checker board, he had a kickback.

the piece shot all the way to the wall and through a students full sheet of formica.

we all thought was impressive,the teacher wasn't laughing.

in high school we got to use the table saws. it was the wood lathes that were scary.

the print shop had a printing press that a student was inking while it was running. he's now called lefty

that was 27 years ago

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Longhair,
                      What does your simple jig look like? Short of wearing a chain mail vest I can't figure out how to safely cut a small piece off a narrow board where you have to have the blade guard off in order to use a push stick. I haven't had a kickback since I installed my first ZCI but still it worries me because I can't figure out how I can use the push stick and still stand to the left of the blade (I'm right-handed and the fence is on the right side).
                      Does anybody use those small piece holders I see advertised? If so what's your opinion?
                      I still have a thumb and 4 fingers on each hand and hope to keep it that way. A year or two ago I had a piece of a board chip off and come shooting out from under the blade guard. It knicked me on the hand but did no damage. Scared the hell out of me though, because I didn't see it, but then again, even if I could see I wouldn't have seen it.

Blind Bill

Comment

i use the set up in the ridgid table saw instructions when ripping very thin pieces. never had a problem when i followed the safety instructions. when i didn't, it cost me 2 stitches in my left index fingertip. thankfully, a very cheap lesson. what is it the guy with the beard says? "be sure to read, understand and follow all the safety....."
                        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Re: My next bit of safety kit = bullet proof vest

blind bill,

It can really be as simple, or complex, as you choose. I have seen them with measuring devices and micro adjusters, but all of that is not necessary. All you really need is a simple "stop" that fits in your miter slot.

Take one of those cheap, simple, wooden featherboards with the metal miter bars and the slotted board, and take it apart. Cut 45 degree miters on the square end so that they meet in the middle, leaving a point. Slightly round off the point by sanding. Re-assemble the jig with the rounded point end toward the blade side of the miter slot.

To use: It is as simple as marking the width of your intended thin strip on the board and adjusting your rip fence to cut so that this strip would come off of the outboard side. Now that you have the board set-up like this, slide your new jig into the miter slot and adjust it so that the rounded point touches the side of the board. This "sets" the width on the left side of the blade. Now lock the jig and REMOVE IT!..........DO NOT CUT WITH THE JIG IN PLACE. It is just a reference point. Cut your first strip, put the jig back in place, put the board back in and slide the rip fence over to meet it and lock it down. REMOVE THE JIG.......and cut again. You can continue this way until the main board gets too narrow to cut safely.

If you do this a lot, you can get a more creative and make something a little sturdier and more acturately adjustable. This works but it requires measuring and marking the first piece.

Comment

OK Longhair, you are 100% correct, if I was 2/3 the way thru the cut there wouldn't be anything to kick back. What was I thinking when I wrote that?!!

Cheers Dennis

Comment

I've never been hit with a kick back but my wife Brenda was. She was cutting a piece of 3/8" plywood which got away from her and hit her in the chest. She was convinced the saw blade came apart so she was trying to figure out how to find someone in one of the other shops to help her. Once she got up off the floor and realized there was no blood she relaxed a little bit but she has not used .hera table saw since.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X