Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crosscut sled - different way

Good day

I would like to share with you my method.

First, check the alignment of the blade to the miter slots.

The idea is very simple, I make part of the sled, cut the kerf and refer to it as a reference point (or line) to position the "Back Fence" square to the kerf by "locking" everything together.

I discovered that the plastic drawing triangles are very, very accurate, and I use them to locate the fence (actually, as you will see, I'm using the shop-made triangles that were "copied" from the plastic one).

By cutting the Runners 1 mm (3/64") narrower than the miter slot width, it's very easy and fast to cut the runners and, I think, will eliminate any binding due to expansion with humidity changes.

My table saw is different and has only one miter slot, so I made some kind of "fiction" miter slots for the guys with the "normal" table saw...(I think everybody except me)

Regards
    niki

Re: Crosscut sled - different way

Comment

Comment

Great stuff yet again, Niki! Thanks for all these tremendous ideas and all the work you go through to post the procedures.

I'm a little concerned that the CA (super) glue might squeeze out and lock the runners in the slot. Did you have any problems with squeeze-out?
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thank you VASandy

No, I did not have any problem with squeeze-out and I made it on a 3/8" wide runner.

As I indicated on the pic, spread the CA only on the center-line of the runner and not too much so even if it will spread, it will not reach the edge of the runner.

Even if the CA will stick the runner to the slot, a small "Bang" on the sled will release it...CA does not adhere so good to non-porous materials like iron or aluminum

Regards
          niki

Comment

niki...what about using double sided tape instead of glue to position the runners temporarily? then screw in place. and thanks for the excellent procedure for making sure everything is square.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thank you FINER9998

I would not trust the carpet tape for holding the runners firmly.

As I indicated, you are pushing pieces of cardboard to press the runner snugly to one side of the miter slot.
              The next step is, to glue and pull the sled out of the slots and that's the moment that I'm afraid that the runners can move if they are held with carpet tape.

The Super glue is not only to hold the runners temporary but to fix them firmly to the sled and when you add screws, it becomes "indestructible".

I'm far from being an expert but as I know, a good, strong and firm joint is done better with glue and screws.

Regards
              niki

Comment

niki...any thoughts on the idea of cutting dadoes in the sled underside to receive the runners, in additon to the glue and screws? thanks.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Just made this sled as per your instructions ( very good ones btw ) and it worked out great, thanks much.

Comment

FINER9998
                    I never thought about cutting dadoes because they must be cut in such an accuracy that both runners will fit snugly in the slots...and that's job for CNC...

Most of the guys are connecting the runners only with screws and it works ok.
                    The CA that I use is mainly to hold runner firmly till you add screws.
                    If you are afraid that the CA may squeeze out and glue the runner to the slot, you can just put it on a few points, kind of a, one drop here, one drop there...it will hold the runner firmly till you screw them.

Jer760
                    Thank you
                    I'm so happy that it worked out for you...Can you please tell me how much time it took you...approximately...

Regards
                    niki

Comment

Well, between the back and forth reading your instructions and being the first one and all I'd say a couple of hours, may have been longer but time flies when your having fun. After building one though I'd say and hour or so would do. I didn't use CA, but a similar product from loctite with no issues, worked well to hold runners in place so I could drill and countersink the runners. Thanks again Niki, this sled solved a problem i was facing with a project I'm working on and some of your other ideas will be implemented in my shop as time allows.

Comment

Thank you Jer760

I asked because when I did it I had to plan the steps and take the picture so it took me about 3 hours but I think that the second one would take me, like you said, an hour or so.

Regards
                        niki

Comment

Thought the least I could do is post a couple pics of my finished project. Thanks again Niki.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for the pics Jer760

You made it.......BIG
                            Nice work...and shop...how many beers you drink a day, such a big frig...

Regards
                            niki

Comment

Made it big for longer, wider panels but I'm gonna put myself to the time test and make a matching smaller one. As for the beers, hehehe, maybe a couple . Ttyl Niki.
                              Last edited by jer760; 11-11-2007, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X