Tool Mobility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Mobility

I've recently replace a number of my woodworking tools with Ridgid products - specifically...

Ridgid 14" Band Saw (Model BS1400)
    Ridgid 13" Thickness Planer (Model TP1300)
    Ridgid Oscillating Belt/Spindle Sander (Model EB2244)
    Ridgid 6 1/8" Jointer/Planer (Model JP0610)

Up until recently I had a dedicated Woodworking Shop - approximately 800 sq. ft. My wife (Shirley) is an accomplished watercolor artist, and also teaches two watercolor classes each week. One of these classes is taught out of our home, and guess what room she uses for this class? If you guessed, “Woodworking Shop”, you’d be correct. Every Monday morning, my woodworking tools are “pushed” to one end of this room and tables are set-up for Shirley’s class. Shirley is very good at doing the setup and equally good at putting my workshop back together after the class is finished.

The tools that I replaced with Ridgid products were all mobile, so Shirley didn’t have too much of a problem moving things around before and after class. I purchased two Ridgid Herc-U-Lift Plus units (Model AC9950) for the band saw and thickness planer, and I mounted the oscillating belt/spindle sander on a Tool Dock mobile station. Therefore, all that remains is “mobilizing” the jointer/planer (did anyone mention that this “puppy” is heavy?). I have my Delta Unisaw (also very heavy) mounted on a HTC mobile base, and this works great. Does anyone know which HTC mobile base will work with the JP0610? Has anyone attached casters to the JP0610? If so, what size and type? As you know, jointers need to be very stable when operated; therefore, I’d expect that any casters would be “industrial strength”.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.

I did search the forum and found a few posts on jointer mobility, but I'm looking for a bit more.

[ 08-01-2002, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Harv ]
    Harv

Harv,

I went through the same process when I bought mine. I finally bought Delta's kit and built one for it. I cut 3/4" plywood to fit inside the base and then achored the jointer to the plywood and the base.

I haven't had any problems moving it or experienced any instability during use.

Bob R

Comment

Harv

I built one using 3/4" ply and casters. I added three 1X2" across the bottom for added support. Two of teh casters are locking to stop it from moving, and all four swivel. Works great for my use, and it cost me under $20 to make it.
      Support Our Troops!
      www.mnpatriotguard.org
      www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Harv--I also used the Delta Universal Mobile Base for my Delta, open stand jointer. For the Rigid, you could remove the leveling legs and it would snuggle right down into the corner brackets.

I used glued up hardwood, as they recommend and haven't the first sign of a sag. Locate the foot pedal under the outfeed table, to keep it out of your way---my heavy jointer has never felt so light
        Dave

Comment

Hi Harv

As the others have stated, the Delta mobile base works great. I never tried this base before but Harbor Freight had their knockoff of the the Delta Mobile Base on sale for $19.99 with free shipping this spring so I bought 3. The metal parts are heavy duty and as the others said, I just glued up two pieces of 3/4" red wood and cut to length to make the runners. I already have two of them in use for my combination disk (9") and belt 6"x48" sander which weighs in at over 125lbs. The other I used for my planer cabinet so I only have one left. The price is now about $29.99 but they work so well, I plan on buying more. Rockler has the same thing on sale for $49.99.

If you base can fit the limitations (30" and 300#), I don't think you can go wrong with the Delta Mobile Base or the HF knockoff. BTW, the HF model comes with 2 rubber feet (not shown) that the tool rests on when the castering wheel is retracted.

Cheers

Art

Comment

I built a mobile base for my JP610. I Laminated two pieces of 3/4" plywood and ran 1x4" pine around the edges. Four 3" swivel casters (2 locking) and this thinf is mobile for less than $20.

I seldom lock the casters, this thing is heavy enough that it don't move...

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I went to our local woodworking store (Woodworkers Emporium) yesterday and purchased a Delta Mobile Base kit (the one where you supply the wooden runners). I also picked-up a set of four, 3" swivel/locking-casters at Home Depot that are advertised as a mobility solution specifically for the Ridgid table saw - they were with the other casters in the hardware section. So, I now have two possible solutions for the Ridgid jointer. I have no doubt that the Delta Mobile Base will work, but the casters may also work.

I didn’t mention that I also had another “mobility challenge”…

I’ve recently adopted a number of the “Tool Dock” products. If you aren’t familiar with the Tool Dock line, open any woodworking magazine, and you’ll probably find their ad. They are a family of modular, metal woodworking shop furniture that can be “mixed and matched” to create elaborate shop configurations. One of their pieces, the “Tool Station”, is a “roll-around” stand that allows interchangeable tops. In other words, one stand can accommodate multiple tools – one at a time. You simply mount the tool on a 24” x 22” piece of MDF that fits in a cutout on the Tool Station’s top – think of it as a “giant” router plate. When the tool is not being used, it can be neatly stored away in another Tool Dock product, the “Tool Rack”. This is nothing more than a seven foot rack with adjustable, slide-in slots that can accommodate the 24” x 22” pieces of MDF with their respective tools. This combination (the Tool Station and the Tool Rack) radically reduces a shop’s requirement for surface space to accommodate tools that are infrequently used. In my shop, I have the following tools mounted on these 24” x 22” MDF inserts…

Ridgid Oscillating Belt Sander
              16” Scroll Saw
              8” Grinder
              Heavy-duty Machinist Vise
              A Sharpening Station (drill bit sharpener, several wet and dry stones, sharpener fixtures, etc.)

I leave the Ridgid Oscillating Belt Sander mounted on the Tool Station since it receives the most use. But, when the need arises, I can slip the Belt Sander into the Tool Rack and install one of the other inserts into the Tool Station.

The Tool Rack, with its collection of tool-laden inserts, poses another mobility challenge. It is normally meant to be a stationary structure; therefore, it is supplied with only “leveler feet”. It would be nice if this unit were also mobile. The problems is that the Tool Rack, with its collections of tools, can be heavy, and the center of gravity can “move around” depending on where in the Rack specific tools are store. I’ve tried to keep the heaver tools near the bottom, but this presents its on set of problems – increased “back stress” when retrieving or storing away a tool – life’s a bunch of compromises. Anyway, I’m going to “try-out” the Delta Mobile Base kit as a vehicle to mobilize the Tool Rack. According to the instruction accompanying the Delta Mobile Base, it will accommodate up to a 30” x 30” item. The base dimensions of the Tool Rack are 26” x 31” – a bit over the Mobile Base’s specifications. I glued-up a number of pieces 1 ½” x ¾” red oak stock to make the 1 ½” x 1 ½” wooden runners needed for the Mobile Base. I’m cheating a bit, but the oak should be strong enough to accommodate the “extra inch” – I’ll let you know.
              Hopefully, both the Casters on the Jointer and the Delta Mobile Base on the Tool Rack will work out. If the Delta Mobile Base does not work out for the Tool Rack, I can always use it on the Jointer and return the Casters. If the Casters don’t work out on the Jointer, I can buy a second Mobile Base and also return the Casters. That’s the really nice thing about Home Depot – their return policy is fantastic.
              Harv

Comment

Harv---I think my concern about putting the Tool rack on the mobile base would be being top heavy. As I remember the design, it's fairly tall--most stationary tools used for a mobile base have a lower center of gravity (except a drill press, which most people advise against putting on mobile base). I'd also be curious about what weight this had--the weight rating on the base is 300#--is that going to be a problem? I would think, if your workstation rolled around--you could just roll it over to the fixed position of the rack. Just a thought.
                Dave

Comment

Dave,

I’ll address your concerns in a minute – some of them are my concerns also…

I assembled the Ridgid Jointer/Planer (JP0610) today. I managed to complete this task without any additional muscle. Every time I thought I would need to go get a neighbor, I came up with a way to finesse the lift and continue. I’m trained as an electrical engineer, but I’ve worked with a lot of mechanical engineers over the last 30 years. The mechanical engineering (form and fit) of this tool is exceptional. If it performs half as well as it looks, I’m sure I’ll be more than satisfied.

During assembly, I did have one setback – the casters. Instead of using the leveling feet that was supplied with the unit, I installed 3” casters. If you remember, this was something I wanted to try before purchasing a second Delta Mobile Base kit. Well, the casters didn’t work for a very obvious reason (it’s always obvious after the fact). As you know, swivel casters are offset – if they weren’t, they wouldn’t swivel. Although the mounting tabs used to attach the levelers on the JP0610 are fairly strong and welded together, they are engineered for a force vector that is perpendicular to the floor. When your attach casters, you shift the force vector to an angle that is no longer perpendicular to the floor and one or more of the tabs deform (i.e., bend) under the non-orthogonal load. I was able to straighten the bent tab (only one failed) and install the levelers – no harm, no foul. I’ll return the casters to Home Depot tomorrow or Monday and purchase another Delta Mobile Base kit. By that time, I should know if my current Mobile Base Kit will work on my Tool Rack.

I totally agree with your scenario of taking the Tool Station to the Tool Rack, but the best place to “park” the Tool Rack interferes with my wife’s watercolor classroom layout. She would live with it, but I’d like to give her the ability to move it out of the way for her classes. Your observations about weight and center of gravity are also my two principal concerns. After assembling the JP0610, I’m not too concerned about weight. If the Delta Mobile Base will support the JP0610, I suspect that it will support the Tool Rack and its tools. I doubt that the total weight is in excess of 300 lbs. My only concern is the 31” stretcher that I will need to employ which is an inch longer than Delta’s recommended length of 30”. I‘ll measure the deflection (i.e., sag) of this member and report back. I was wrong about the casters; I may be wrong about this. If the Mobile Base will support the weight, then all I have to worry about is not “tipping the Tool Rack over” when moving it. I’m thinking about attaching a handle (like a wagon) to the Mobile Base so the whole assembly can be pulled around like a wagon. This would insure that no force is applied high up on the Tool Rack creating a fatal “mechanical moment” (i.e., rotational force) that would tip this “puppy” over.

I glued up my stretchers (1 ½” x 1 ½” red oak) this morning, and as soon as I assembly my Thickness Planer (Model TP1300), I’ll square these up and assembly my first Delta Mobile Tool Base. I gave my old 4” jointer, 12” planer, belt sander and band saw to my son-in-law in California. Unfortunately, this happened several weeks ago before my new tools arrived. We were traveling to California anyway to see our new granddaughter, so I rented a U-Haul trailer and took everything at that time. For the moment, I have to do everything with my Delta Unisaw and Makita 12” sliding compound miter saw (i.e., no jointer, no planer, no band saw, etc.). Hopefully, by the end of this weekend, I’m be back “on-line” with a full complement of tools.
                  Harv

Comment

Well, I completed assembling the Delta Mobile Base for the Tool Dock Tool Rack and had no trouble getting the Tool Rack into the Mobile Base. I loaded the Tool Rack with everything and it “glided around the floor” like Fred Astaire at his high school prom. There does not appear to be either a weight or CG (center of gravity) problem. I inadvertently stated in a previous post that the Tool Rack was 7 ft. tall – it isn’t. It’s only 6 ft. tall. My wife had no problem elevating the Tool Rack and parking it anywhere in the Woodworking Shop. I’m going to purchase another one of these “puppies” tomorrow and mobilize my Ridgid Jointer. When that finished, everything in my workshop except my woodworking bench is “on wheels”.

Thanks again for everyone’s suggestions and comments
                    Harv

Comment

I tried putting casters under the JP0610 roughly aligned with the leveling pads, and found the same stability problem - the JP0610 requires a base the size provided, and swivel casters have a smaller base when they swivel in.

To attach the casters, I put a couple pieces of scrap lumber under the JP0610, attached to the leveling pad holes (I used the leveling pads as the bolts so I would be able to find them 25 years from now if I wanted to give up the casters). When I had the stability problem, I simply put a small piece of 2x4 across the original boards, and mounted the swivel casters slightly outboard of the JP0610. Works like a charm.

I use 2 inch Home Depot swivel casters - they have a load rating of a couple hundred pounds each. Originally I used two locking and two regular casters on my equipment, but the locks are a little hard to use, so I simply slide a stop around the caster. For years I have used some fat wire shaped in a "U" as a caster stop in the shop.

Comment

As I said eariler---the Delta Univ. Mobile base or even it's Harbor Freight clone (with bolts replaced), are the best method of mobilizing the Rigid jointer, whose stand may have problems. For that matter, it's the best for almost any spayed-leg tool, since many times the splayed legs weren't the strongest. I just bought another base to build for my sanding station---an older Craftsman, with legs that barely support the thing---the Delta design also acts much as a leg stretcher would, keeping the legs from splaying further.
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X