X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet Materials

I have to build a basic upper cabinet set to go over a prep-counter that I built. I was going to use 3/4 MDF for the case and tack a 1x3 wood face frame to the outside. But someone told me that you cannot brad into MDF b/c it won't hold. True? Still learning here...be gentle.

Re: Cabinet Materials

Brads don't hold well in end grain MDF but glue does. have you considered the European style hinges that allow for full overlay of the door so you don't need a face frame?

Comment

WP is correct. Your mostly using the brads to hold the frame in place while the glue sets up in clamps. If you use the euro hinges you can make a frameless cabinet and you will get a little more accesible interior space. They even have some surface mount Euro hinges at Home Depot in case you dont have a drill press. Dont plan a size for your doors thought until you have the hinges, because different hinges can give different overlays, at the shop I work at we have 3 different "standard" overlays alone

Comment

i put a poplar face frame on a mdf cabinet with glue and brads. the glue holds just fine. even on a wooden cabinet- the strength provided by brads is minimal. the glue does the work for you.

If you go without a face frame, be careful drilling into the MDF. Standard wood screws don't hold as well and tend to strip out if you overtighten. I specifically went with a wood face frame to provide a solid anchor for big doors.

Comment

I would not even use the brads. Biscuit joinery would work well in this case.
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I agree with TOD. Biscuit joinery for attaching wooden face frames to MDF especially if you are going to hang doors on the fames.

Comment

Thanks guys...I just ended up using solid plywood for the casework. Turned out great!

Comment

Also consider pocket-hole joinery for the face frame, if it can be hidden or if it doesn't matter. I made some built-in cabinets for my office using MDF cases and poplar faceframes. Phase one of this project, I used biscuits. I discovered pocket-hole joinery shortly afterwards, and it sped things up considerably (in addition to ditching my super-cheap Craftsman table saw in favor of the TS-3650, but that's another story).

Comment

I read an article in Wood magazine where the biscuits don't add much strength the the butt joint, compared to pocket screws which do. Of course mortise-tenon was the strongest, but pocket hole provided plenty of strength for a face frame. It's all I use for face frames, and I know the custom cabinet shops in my area do the same.

Comment

Working...
                  X