Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What woodworking magazines do you like?

I'm new to woodworking and was wondering what woodworking magazines you folks read and or, subscribe to. I' won't be doing fine furniture, just everyday, around the home type projects.

Thanks,

John

Re: What woodworking magazines do you like?

I currently subscribe to three: Fine Woodworking, Popular Woodworking and Wood.

The first two, I've gotten for years and really enjoy, they offered me 2 years of Wood at a really good deal after they totally revamped it and so far, I've enjoyed it.

Comment

I subscribe to Fine Woodworking online, WOOD Magazine, Woodworker's Journal (a liiiitle too closely aligned with Rockler, but decent nonetheless), American Woodworker, and I just started getting Woodsmith.

Comment

I have a subscription to workbench magazine, which i really enjoyed last year, but this year it sort of took a nose dive, so i won't be renewing.

I enjoy reading Fine Wood Working, but the projects are often too advanced for my skills.

The magazine i enjoy the most now is Canadian Home Workshop.

You can often get the newest editions of these magazines from your local library if you want to "try before you buy".

Comment

My favorites are Woodsmith and Shopnotes (darn near the same). No ads and lots of helpfull tidbits. Fine Woodworking is also good.
          ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

I subscribe to Woodsmith, Popular Woodworking and Wood Magazine. I like all 3.

Comment

I like Popular WWing, American WWer, Wood, Finewoodworking, Shopnotes, and Workbench.

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
                My favorites are Woodsmith and Shopnotes (darn near the same). No ads and lots of helpfull tidbits. Fine Woodworking is also good.
                Woodsmith and Snopnotes will never get a subscription from me. About a year ago, I sent in one of those "try our magazine" cards for a free issue and they sent one. I decided no thanks, I had just subscribed to a bunch of other things, so I sent back the card and that was that, or so I thought.

About 2 months later, I get a letter in the mail threatening to sue me because I hadn't paid for my subscription. They had never sent anything else, no magazine, no letter, no nothing. I called them up and they were extremely rude to me. I ended up telling them to try it, I'd be more than happy to let my lawyer handle a harassment lawsuit against them.

They can blow it out their backsides for all I care. Besides, half the fun of getting the magazines in the first place are looking at all the new products in the ads.

Comment

Originally posted by Cephus View Post
                  Besides, half the fun of getting the magazines in the first place are looking at all the new products in the ads.
                  Ha! So true. I never even really realized this IS an element I sometimes miss in Woodsmith. Balanced, however, by the clear and usually-interesting projects.

I agree with frankling pug, many of the FWW projects are too advanced for my skills at the moment, OR require too much hand tooling (I hate to confess I simply don't have time or inclination for hand cutting... anything!)
                  As an online subscriber, I REALLY like the past articles, projects, and tips & tricks and techniques. That's the best part of FWW, IMO.

Comment

Wood magazine. I think they have the best tool reports. Very objective.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Woodsmith and Wood and Fine Woodworking........
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

MY lovely wife got me a subscription to Wood - and I really like it. Since then I have also started reading Fine Woodworking - another really good mag. And the most recent one which I have been really impressed with partly because it is advert free is Woodworking Magazine. WWM is right up my alley. I don't believe it is all that well know as yet, but it is worth your time to check it out.

Here is the link.
                        http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/index.asp

I bought the book which contains the first even issues - very nice book and packed with good articles.

Added:

Hes is an overview from the website:
                        Woodworking Magazine teaches the fundamental knowledge necessary for good craftsmanship. Our goal is to make you an independent, mindful and competent woodworker by filling in the inevitable knowledge gaps left if you taught the craft to yourself. To ensure that our magazine is of the highest quality, we will challenge woodworking's conventional wisdom to find the techniques, materials and tools that work best. Every operation and tool you see in Woodworking Magazine has been tested numerous times by our staff of professional and enthusiastic woodworkers in our shop in Cincinnati, Ohio.
                        Last edited by SteveA(MD); 11-12-2007, 12:22 AM.
                        “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

I subscribe to Popular Woodworking and Fine Woodworking. I enjoy both of them.

Comment

Working...
                          X