No announcement yet.

Who uses hand tools, and which ones?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who uses hand tools, and which ones?

Depending on the job I use hand tools many times they jsut do a much better job, here is one project that hand tools are used nearly exclusive on,
    the face is wood that was in the stalls in our old barn and the back is elm wood except for the ebony it is wood off the farm, or has been on the farm for over 100 years, it has a very rich and mellow sound to it, very very pleasant, my Daughter plays it very well, mostly play fiddle type music on it.
    Attached Files
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

This is my newest acquisition and addition to my hand tool line up. I purchased it for $30 at an estate sale this weekend.

It is brand new, in the box, and it still has the protective coating on the shoe. The date stamped on the box is: 07/1965
      Attached Files
      Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
      Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

Nice find but definitely older than 1965 lucky for you, Type 20 (62-67) had blue japanning and were generally a POS. Type 19 (48 - 61) exhibits most of the features you have on your plane from what I can see except yours seems to have a straight top to the cutter which usually means it is a Type 18 (46-47) but I have read that some planes had straight (instead of curved) tops before the mid 50's.

Comment

My chisels and planes (see picture) get a workout every time I'm in the shop. My planes are great for jointing boards before gluing and shaving down a surface that may be just a bit to wide. They're cheaper and more rewarding then a jointer, and they leave a fantastic surface. Also, I find it easier to reach for a chisel when I need to clean up an edge or fine tune a joint. My power tools are essential, buy my hand tools really allow me to fine tune my work. Not included in this picture or my chisels and gouges, and I'm looking to make a spokeshave here pretty soon to add to the collection.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X