X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who uses hand tools, and which ones?

I use many hand tools in my daily work. Actually I prefer to use them over my power tools. Who else here uses hand tools on a daily basis, and which ones do you use the most. . .other than a hammer and tape measure!

Here are a few of the tools I use on a daily basis.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CARPENTERDON; 11-11-2007, 11:37 PM.
    Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
    Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Re: Who uses hand tools, and which ones?

Originally posted by CARPENTERDON View Post
    I use many hand tools in my daily work. Actually I prefer to use them over my power tools. Who else here uses hand tools on a daily basis, and which ones do you use the most. . .other than a hammer and tape measure!

Here are a few of the tools I use on a daily basis.

Neanderthal.....

Only kidding.

Like many woodworkers, I do find occasions to using hand tools, sometimes that are just required other time not.
    I suppose you can call me a Normite.
    “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

Where do they plug in....??

LOL

I am a product of science, engineering and all things power.

That said I still use a slide rule. Drives people in my office nuts.

Comment

Other than an occasional chisel and hammer, it's power all the way!

Comment

Welcome to the forum CarpenterDon,I used to wear your Vaughn rigging axe back in the eighties when we used to notch the tops of floor joists for gas systems.
          Did the plumbing on a log cabin a couple of years ago,the canadians who came down here to put their fabrication together told me to leave at least 6" for settling on this two story.
          Do you build your cabins from scratch or out of the box?Your use of the drawknife leads me to believe you go from scratch.

Comment

While I don't use handsaws much, I certainly have a good selection of chisels and planes that get a good workout, I really find it hard to believe that people can do good work without at least some handwork. There are just some things that require a hands-on approach, rather than just pulling a trigger.

Comment

Here are the tools I use most when building projects. Not shown are the scrapers, chisels etc. Looks like we have the same draw knife

Comment

I think the usual measuring tools are part of most everyone's shop/tool kit. Certainly my old framing square, level, measuring tape, etc. are part of every home reno project. I've also got a few drawing instruments, squares, and marking devices that I've carried over from days on the drawing board.

I also regularly use a couple of hand saws which include a small carpenter's saw, back saw, razor saws, and a flush cut, double-edge saw. I've got a few hammers of course, a couple of mallets, chisels, scrapers, rasps, and a small block plane. I also have a few sanding blocks and shapes as well as a wood brace a bit set. The latter is preferred when boring as I think it's more enjoyable to use for deep holes, especially with deck work.

What I don't have is any good planes or shaves, which I hope to add at some future date.

CWS

Comment

I use my tape measure and/or zig-zag wooden rule and Starrett combination square on almost every project. I use hand saws for smaller cutting jobs, it's quicker than getting my P-C circular saw out or setting up the table saw. I also use a variety of planes spokeshaves, rasps, chisels etc.

Outdoors I use an axe or handsaw for many jobs, only getting out the chainsaw (Husquvarna 51) when necessary. I use power tools less than I have in the past.

It is hard to find decent hand tools; I get good used ones at flea markets or antique stores or good new ones from Lee Valley or Lie-Nielsen.
                  Last edited by Ken in Arkansas; 11-12-2007, 04:09 PM.

Comment

My favorite hand tool, has got to be the Japaneses pull saws. I own lots of them, and I use one about every other day for one reason or another.......

Tape Measurer
                    Speed Square
                    Carpenter Square
                    Levels
                    Hammer
                    Nail Pullers
                    Bevel Gauge
                    Pry and Wonder Bars
                    Chalk Line
                    Straight Bar
                    Screw Driver

These were the tools I used just today, and just about every day......
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                      Here are the tools I use most when building projects. Not shown are the scrapers, chisels etc. Looks like we have the same draw knife

Very nice collection, Wayne.

Comment

Doing HVAC work...wire cutters/stripers. Nut drivers and screwdrivers and Duct knife almost all the time.....boss dude gets all nervous if he sees me with a hammer Tape meassure.....humm why..cut 5 times measure later.

Comment

Sure, other than the usual measuring/marking tools there are chisels, planes and hand scrapers. My pull saw gets frequent use too.

Comment

That's some great collections there!

I love planes and chisels! I've been contemplating purchasing the new floats from Lie-Nielsen as well as their beading plane. Currently I have my Dad's old Stanley hand plane, and a newer smaller Stanley, along with a selection of carving tools and chisels. I find myself often reaching for a hand saw instead of using a power tool.
                            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              Welcome to the forum CarpenterDon,I used to wear your Vaughn rigging axe back in the eighties when we used to notch the tops of floor joists for gas systems.
                              Did the plumbing on a log cabin a couple of years ago,the canadians who came down here to put their fabrication together told me to leave at least 6" for settling on this two story.
                              Do you build your cabins from scratch or out of the box?Your use of the drawknife leads me to believe you go from scratch.
                              My log cabins/houses for the last 8 years are from scratch, but I have built from the kit side too. Hand hewn is mostly what I do now. Usually I build one every two years or so.

I have 5 planes, all wood, that my uncle's uncle made. They are from 1870, 72, 76, 79, & 81. I really enjoy using them and when I am using them I think about the history behind them.

I, as well, have a rabbeting plane, router plane, tenoning plane, beading plane, round-over plane, all from the 1880's, that have been passed down to me.

Both of my draw knives are hand forged from the James Co. made in 1901.
                              Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
                              Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

Working...
                              X