X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUYER BEWARE TS2400 / Cust. Service

Imagine waiting 75 minutes at your local Home Depot for the banners to be placed & and a forklift w/ driver found to finally pull your brand new TS 2400-LS from the overhead.

You have a project set up for the weekend. You've already purchased a Forrest WW II blade with dampener to install.

You're excited and ready. You bring the saw home, unpack it, assemble it, install your blade, and hook up your shop vac; all set up for your project........

.....WAIT, WHATS THIS?...........You're missing the key that you need to turn the saw on....your project is set for the day after tommorrow.....WHAT TO DO......I know..lets call RIDGID....Surely they can overnight or rush me a key.....NOT......

Uninterested Cust. Serv. agent just told me 10-15 business days.....I asked "3 weeks? Cant you just grab the part & drop it in the mail?" ............."NOPE, OUR LEAD TIME IS 15 WORKING DAYS".....

Jeez, maybe I need a supervisor......WELL, 17 minutes on hold, and another CS agent, not a supervisor got on, and told me 7-10 business days.....or i could return the saw....or I could buy one & pay for overnight shipping...if I pay for the part that was missing from my box I can have it quicker.......or last I can drive back to the store, and hope that they have another saw, and are willing to give me the part....

THANKS ALOT.........WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER RECEIVED FROM ANY TOOL COMPANY, Including Dewalt, Bosch, Porter Cable, Makita & Bench Dog.....

SPEND YOUR MONEY WITH A COMPANY WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: BUYER BEWARE TS2400 / Cust. Service

1. I bought the only saw they had in stock....could've I have driven 15 minutes to another HD? Of course, but this is the age of convenience

2. Is is possible that I lost the key in unpacking the saw? Sure, very possible.

3. Ridgid quality? IMO, the best for this price point saw, thats why i bought it.

4. Going to the store & asking for a key from another saw, is most likely why my key was missing.

5. My point on the long wait, is that investing several hours buying & setting up a saw, why would i want to repack & return it, when the Manufacturer can just send me a key.

THE POINT....Customer service is key (no pun intended) these days.....

imagine calling AAA when your can has a flat & your on the side of the road, and them telling you, "we'll be out within 3 weeks, sit tight"

Try calling Moen with a leaky faucet, you will have a new part in your mailbox within 48 hours anywhere in the Con. US....Even if you bought the faucet 15 years ago.

I had a broken monitor from Dell...they cross shipped a replacement (I rec. on the 3rd business day) & they included a pre-printed, pre-paid airbill.

3 weeks (15 bus. days) for a stupid plastic key, that they could priority mail for $3.00 today & i would have it tommorrow, is HORRIBLE

Comment

I can't state enough the reliability of "buying twice, get parts, send it back" method works. I'm probably not shedding a good light on myself in a public forum stating that but, BUT...

product reliability has to be there when I spend money on it. My method is done with honest intentions, with never a hint of stealing. I just find the parts that were initially promised to me when I bought the product the first time. Am I asking too much? No.

I don't have to do it much....maybe once a year and sometimes longer......but I always keep a line of credit open so I can buy twice and get what I need.

You and I are human so accidents are common. That's what happened in your situation and we can't throw a rock at the guy on the assembly line.

I've been in your shoes countless times....the most recent was a camcorder I spent $590 on that the guy at the store PROMISED would adapt to my computer, it didn't.

I brought that device back in a box with nothing put back together, nothing.

That's not my job. Took the guy 10 minutes to put it all back together and I told him if you dare charge me a 15% restocking fee like the back of the receipt states...

Have your regional manager's phone number ready for me to write down; I'm going to the top. Hahaaa!!!!!
      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-14-2007, 07:23 PM.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        I can't state enough the reliability of "buying twice, get parts, send it back" method works. I'm probably not shedding a good light on myself in a public forum stating that but, BUT...

product reliability has to be there when I spend money on it. My method is done with honest intentions, with never a hint of stealing. I just find the parts that were initially promised to me when I bought the product the first time. Am I asking too much? No.

I don't have to do it much....maybe once a year and sometimes longer......but I always keep a line of credit open so I can buy twice and get what I need.

You and I are human so accidents are common. That's what happened in your situation and we can't throw a rock at the guy on the assembly line.

I've been in your shoes countless times....the most recent was a camcorder I spent $590 on that the guy at the store PROMISED would adapt to my computer, it didn't.

I brought that device back in a box with nothing put back together, nothing.

That's not my job. Took the guy 10 minutes to put it all back together and I told him if you dare charge me a 15% restocking fee like the back of the receipt states...

Have your regional manager's phone number ready for me to write down; I'm going to the top. Hahaaa!!!!!

Whats' crazy is that this method will cost HD an hour in labor to pull the saw to resell me a new one, 30-45 min. to process the return when i bring it back, lost profit & wasted space for having an unsellable saw.....$40.00 or so in lost freight to ridgid sending the saw back to them....30 min or so for Ridgid to process the RMA....and maybe another 30 min to unpack & repack the saw for someone else....then another $40.00 shipping the saw back out to sell again......

When these idiots could have just overnighted me a fricken key for $10.00, or even priority mailed one for $3.00...

Comment

Guys Guys

Come on now. We don't need fights over a stupid plastic key. I bet if you went to Home Depot with reciept and talked to the manager of the tool department he/she might very well have a spare key and just give it to you. What gets me POed is why doesn't Home Depot have a small stock of keys for all Ridgid power tools needing them. I'm sure people would like any extra key in case they loose or bust their's.

Comment

Re: we're not fighting

dunbar i rarely jump in to the middle of these tpye of this but i have to say this, i feel you are both righ but i feel one of you are looking for a fight and won't be happy till you get it. this might be the time to cut your losses with one another and just move on.
            just my 2 cents on the deal.
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Final Update...

I did go into HD today and saw the store boss, who happens to a friend of mine, and of course he gave me a key (pulled it from the floor model).

I knew that was the easy option, but the point is the manufacturer should not be giving sub par service to the people who keep them in business. If the floor model's key was missing, he would have to have broken a box, ordered a key from ridgid, reseal the box, etc. In the meantime no-one would be able to buy the saw, nor does anyone like to buy a resealed box, much less the whole ordeal being a PIA for me and them....

I stand by my original post....Ridgid CS really stroked me the wrong way when i originally called...the reps were nasty & indifferent......we should all remember the Golden Rule...anyhow, thanks for hearing me vent

Comment

Hey man. That saw is going on big time sale on the day after thanksgiving to the tune of $299. I don't know how you can get that discount at this point but having a buddy who is the boss at the store can't hurt. Good luck and glad you got your key!

Eli
                A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

i can't belive his store had a "floor model" i have not seen one of those since last year some time
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Probably shouldn't jump in here, but what the heck, at this point another opinion isn't going to flare any tempers further.

But first, OSC.... believe it or not, my store here in Corning, NY still has the floor models of most of the tools. Hope they don't go away!

Now, for the poor guy who got upset about his call to customer service and didn't get the key... Perhaps you've never worked in industry. While I feel for your situation and wish that things really could be as simple as you wish, that isn't real life. I'm sure there may be some exceptions; but generally the guy on the other end of the phone isn't anywhere close to the parts operations or the factory floor. And, if he or she was, you can probably bet that they'd get themselves in trouble if they left their work station and set off looking for a part for you.

It simply doesn't work like that... not since they did away with the General Store. The guy on the phone simply passes on your need (usually by entering the information into his computer), and then picks up the next caller. If they went after the part for a customer and you were the next caller, then you'd be writing a complaint about the lousey service, because it took them forever to answer the phone. You simply can't have your phone support people running down every customer's needs!

Bottom line is that the whole process is often a global effort with many people in the process. Often they are at different places and that single request is a massive team effort. So while I agree that life stinks and you have a legitimate loss in that the part wasn't included; expecting an overnight from a global enterprise just isn't very realistic. Your best avenue was to return to Home Depot and in this instance, it worked!

As far as having to buy "double" in order to guarantee satisfaction; well, I guess that's one way. But IMHO, that's a big stretch. I think if I am that concerned, I'd be reluctant to buy anything. But if it works for you, that's great.

If Home Depot, or anyone for that matter, would stock some of these "absolutely required" parts, wouldn't that be great. That was always the advantage of going to some of the older, locally-owned stores. Seems that real people managed those, and personal service was a thing of pride. Don't we wish the big box stores would bring some of that back into style.

I hope that everything else goes well and you enjoy that new saw.

CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 11-15-2007, 02:34 AM.

Comment

It has been my experience with Ridgid CS that if you use your ebox for your concerns they will be addressed much faster by very informed CS reps. Save the waiting on hold and just email. Atleast your frustration level will be 0.

My 2 cents worth.

Comment

I had the same problem when I bought a Ridgid jointer. Box even had "missing parts" written on the box. It was only missing the yellow "key" that activates the power switch. Called Ridgid CS, explained situation, had a two pack of keys 3 days later in the mail, no charge. I didn't mind, though. The jointer retailed for, I think, $350. I paid $150. And it was an absolutely brand new unit with everything else in the box.
                        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Our store recently had the display changed out from a 2 blade to a 3 blade planner and put the 2 blade into the clearance area. Fellow came up and wanted to buy it but wanted to hear it run first. I plugged it up and started to turn it on and guess what, the damn yellow key was missing. No problem for me though, I just walked about 10 steps and took the one out of the new display, stuck it in the slot on the two blade and fired it up. Customer left happy and I told the Ridgid Tool Rep that he needed to get us a safety key for the display since I had sold it with the old display. Hey if he don't come up with one beforewe sell the current display another one will be borrowed from one of the other floor models.

As to taking so long to get someone to pull the item from the overhead just remember at the HD only "certified" operators are allowed to operate the forklifts. This protects everyone involved from some diphead getting on the forklift and dropping something on somebodies head.
                          sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

Comment

You would think that with so many people having this yellow key problem...that ridgid could just give HD a 50 pack to keep in a bag somewhere.....or just have a faster method of getting them out to people...the fact that Ridgid is so big and have so many departments doesnt hold water......If youve ever bought Computer equipment from "newegg" the stuff is at your door in 2-3 days & they do 1 billion + in sales.....Ridgid needs to get their CS together a little better....

Comment

Well,

I have two thoughts.

Seems someone has not learned about the 7-P's.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Seems to me that if someone had planned this "Big Weekend" project that was due out in two days, he would have bought that Brand New Saw the weekend prior. Had it tuned up and ready, so that when it came time for the big project to start, all his cuts were true and square and the saw operated properly, safely and as designed. This would have found the lost key and would have prevented the consumer form having to read that DAMNED User's Manual to find out how to adjust the saw and locate where the CS number is at the back.

Secondly, when I bought my TS2400, I opened that SUCKER right there on the floor, in front of the forklift with the guy still strapped to the Fall Arrester, made sure ALL the CRUCIAL parts were there!

BEFORE I left the store!

If something like the saw blade were missing, then I could have gotten HD to give me a new off-the-shelf blade, which most likely would have been of better quality than the Original.

In retrospect, I suppose he could have went ahead and returned to the store, spent time and the cost of gas (3.50/Gal here in Upstate New York, where the NEAREST HD to me is 100 miles in two directions and 60 miles AND a FERRY toll of 10.00 to Vermont) and MAYBE gotten one out of the packaging of ANOTHER saw, MAYBE! Or, after having waited sooooo long on the phone with CS, just whipped out that credit card and GRUDGINGLY bought a Key, rather that use that "line of credit" to buy ANOTHER WHOLE DAMNED SAW!

I don;t know, MAYBE I am wrong, just my Humble Opinion!

Remember, Opinions are like @$$holes, EVERYONE'S got one!

Comment

Working...
                              X