No announcement yet.

Dado Questions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado Questions

OK...Got the new TS set up and just tried my new Freud dado blade. My first "real" project is a mission buffet table for my wife that has a butt-load of dadoes in the oak ply carcass.

My first attempt produced quite a nice dado in pine. I used the two outter blades and four chippers for a 3/4" dado. Now the questions.

My dado is quite shy of 3/4". Is this normal? If so, how do I increase the size to get to 3/4" without getting too big (thin chipper will be too big).

What is the best way to line up the workpiece to crosscut the dado? My workpiece is 15x42. I need to cut rabbits at each end and two dadoes about 12" in from the ends. Do I mark the dado location and eyeball it, or is there a more accurate way of doing this. Also, I need a duplicate piece for the bottom.

Did this make sense?
    Any thoughts?

Plastic shims are used to space out the dado blades. On a cabinet I like to run the top and bottom with one set up(rabbits with aux fence frist then dados). I like to mark the edge as to where the dado go.
    Andy B.

Hi Andy, what is the purpose of the auxillary fence for the rabbits?

An aux fence is basicaly a board or piece of mdf on the face of the regular fence (I see them as a consumable so I use MDF). The puropse is 1. so that part of the dado blade is sunk into the fence to give clean rabbits, and 2. to protect your regular fence (you don't want any blade hitting your aluminum fence.

The way I make sure my dados are in the correct spot is as follows... The idea is that often it doesn't matter where a dado is as long as it is in the same spot on both sides. On the boards where you want matching dados, pick a reference side parallel to the desired dado, this side will always go up against the fence. Set the fence and cut the first set of matching dados at the same time (ie all the boards which must have dados in the same spot). Move the fence to the second desired dado position and cut the second set of dado's and repeat as needed. It is important that the reference side is on the same end of the finished workpiece on all boards. This guarantees that the dados on each side will be in the same spot and parallel to your reference side even if your boards are 1/2" different or if you miset the fence by 1/2" (extreme cases). The concept is the same as in machining where you reference all of your dimensions off the same side of the workpiece. It also helps just in case your workpiece is not exactly square.