X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4330 Beware! NEEDS a spindle lock

So I decided to stick with Ridgid for my planer. Despite not being sure about replacement blades, I counted on their track record so far. Doh!

The new design that eliminates the need for a spindle lock- doesn't quite eliminate the need for a spindle lock. I cranked mine down to where I wanted it, the handle was at about 1 o'clock, I turned it on, grabbed some stock, turned around, and it was down to 6 o'clock. gravity alone and some vibration will pull the handle down, in my case almost 1/32" which is too much for me.

back in the box, off to get the dewalt...
    Last edited by rprice54; 11-17-2007, 11:32 PM.

Re: R4330 Beware! NEEDS a spindle lock

Did you RTFM?

Read the friggin Manual? In there you will find an adjustment for adjusting the spindle tension so that it doesn't drop.

But if you are planing wood, WHY ON EARTH would you TURN YOUR BACK on a piece of running equipment?

Comment

If it's in there, I didn't see it. I thought I read it through. I even called Ridgid and asked the guy if there was a way to tighten the system up, and he said no. So I guess the people who build it haven't read that part either. I'd reference the online manual- wait, there isn't one...

I still contend that a thickness planer, designed to do one thing, plane stock to an exact thickness, should have a lock on the spindle so it can do that one thing well.

I didn't turn my back on the planer. But I did take my eyes off the spindle so I could look at the wood I was picking up next to the planer. I watch where I put my hands when I have power tools running. I don't stare at the knob and grab blindly at wood and then feed it into the planer without looking. I shouldn't have to stare at the knob the entire time.

Either way, the Dewalt 734 I picked up for the same price produces a nicer finish, less snipe, and I found two separate reviews that said the Ridgid was underpowered. Dewalt was even nice enough to include a 10mm wrench to adjust the infeed/outfeed tables. Plus, the store where I bought it had a box full of replacement knives. I can't even find the Ridgid knives on their parts website, and the planer has been out for 6 months now.

I have several (4) Ridgid power tools that I've been pleased with. I just couldn't make it 5.

Comment

Rprice54,

Do you recall the sites where you found those reviews mentioning that the R4330 was underpowered?

By the way for anyone interested, the R4330 manual is now available for download off the Ridgid website.

Comment

I don't off the top of my head. I did a google search for R4330 review and came across it. They said it bogged down with thicker (8") pieces of oak compared to other planers.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeConCo View Post
            Did you RTFM?

Read the friggin Manual? In there you will find an adjustment for adjusting the spindle tension so that it doesn't drop.

But if you are planing wood, WHY ON EARTH would you TURN YOUR BACK on a piece of running equipment?
            Just for fun, where in the manual is the spindle tension adjustment located? I just searched through the manual (now available online) and searched separately for "tight" "spindle" "tension" and "adjustment" and still didn't find anything about it.

Comment

I sent him a PM asking him to locate the spindle lock adjustment in the manual.

Comment

RTFM - Rather harsh answer to a person(s) having problem (we are supposed to be all friends in this forum)! There is no mention in the manual of adjustment of spindle lock tension.

In fact I "had" the same problem when feeding multiple boards. The lock is not engaged when there is no board in the planer (feeding multiples); specifically when handle is in 12:00 and 3:00 positions. My answer was to hold the handle in position with small elastic bungie cord..... works great.

J

Comment

Fine Woodworking has an excellent review of planers in this class.
                  I bought the Dewalt 734 because it was rated very good and Tyler tools had an excellent price.

Comment

Working...
                  X