Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oscillating Belt/Spindle Sander OIL! ???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscillating Belt/Spindle Sander OIL! ???

I just came home with the Ridgid Oscillating Edge Belt/Spindle Sander EB44241.

I am curious to know from other owners of this tool IF , OIL in the bottom of the bag the unit is placed in is common?
    There is LOTS of it, the bottom of the unit outside was coverd in oil.
    Of course HD only had 1 unit in stock, this was a new unopend box no sings of oil through the box as its packed inside a plastic bag. Not sure were all this oil would come from, should I return it and start looking for it at another HD? Or is this common for them?

Re: Oscillating Belt/Spindle Sander OIL! ???

Here is a parts list and the only thing I can see where there should be any oil and then just a little would be the motor bearings. I have a feeling that to prevent rusting in shipping someone went crazy and really sprayed it with oil when just a thin coating on the bare metal parts would have worked. Before yo u can use it the sander will really need a good cleaning. If there is another HD not too far you might see if they have one and be sure to open the box right there in the tool dept while they watch. Let them know what happened with this one. If the second doesn't have the oil mess then try returning this one at that HD location. On the other hand it costs time and money driving to HD so maybe just try to clean this one up. I'm really starting to wonder where the oil came from other than that it really got sprayed before wrapping and packing it.

Attachment is parts list in .PDF format
    Attached Files

Comment

I have one of these and did not experience any oil issues. I did however have to replace the base as it was cracked..and Home Depot had only one!!!!!

You may want to flip the unit open and remove the gray base..I recall 4 screws.
      Maybe the motor was over lubricated and it settled in shipping. I'd say wipe it down and run the thing. you have a window of time to return it if there is a problem.

Also look at the belt sander part and be sure it too is clean and dry.

Once you use this tool you'd wonder why you never bought it sooner. I find it very useful

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies.

I could try cleaning it up but will always have that "I wonder" feeling about it.

The bag and bottom of unit and bottom front of unit are
        covered in oil. I'm gonna pack the darn thing up and exchange it at another HD.
        Thanks.

I HATE buying a tool and it NOT being good to go. Oh I know alot of tools need the general tweaks but from what Ive read here and another forum, others did not have puddles of oil all over. Off to HD AGAIN!

Comment

All exchanged and this one has no oil bath going on.

Comment

better safe than sorry but it might have been some king of rust inhibator that just got alittle more than it should have. but still maybe not, i have been looking at this sander from quite some time so once you get some use on it let us know weather you like it or not
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Yes I thought better to be safe than sorry.

I will keep you posted on how I like it.

Finewoodworking.com picked it as "best overall" and "best value" They liked the tilting table and the oscillating belt sander.
              This is my 3rd Ridgid tool now. I bought the 6 1/8" Jointer, great tool, The 14" Bandsaw, that one took ALOT of work to get it dialed in right, and now the spindle sander, I hope its like the Jointer.

Comment

Far closer to the jointer than the BS. All I had to do was adjust the table for 90

Comment

I love my spindle/belt sander. I actually find that i rarely use the spindles because the radiuses on the belt suits most of my needs. It really cuts down on sanding time especially when you have alot of small parts. Happy sanding.

Comment

I don't know who designs these tools but from what I have seen they are worth every cent paid--there are no more add-ons on any of their units other than what is needed to do the job.

Comment

Working...
                    X